Buying a new home in TV

Closed Thread
Old 03-01-2020, 07:21 AM

OK...Let's gamble! Here is how it goes: You move in from a State other than Florida. You know absolutely nothing about Florida, especially on matters related to real estate. That includes the laws, customs, and regular real estate procedures. You are plopping down three hundred thousand dollars (more or less) of your hard earned money over the decades (how long did it take you to earn this and save it?). You are signing a lengthy contract that holds you to Developer standards for decades (hopefully) to come. You are hearing some of the finest, professionally reviewed advice you could ever get from the Talk of the Villages from people who are unidentified. On the other side, you have heard many people buy in the Villages and they don't seem to have any problems. Does that mean there have never been any problems? So, here is the balance act, spend 500 bucks on a $300,000 (more or less deal) to have peace of mind or take a roll of the dice. Once you sign the contract, you are bound....whether or not you consult with a real estate lawyer who has had at least seven years of post-secondary professional education.

By the way, how much are you spending on drapes?
Old 03-01-2020, 07:24 AM
Veteran member
Thanked 1,199 Times in 461 Posts

Not necessary to use an attorney in NJ but northern NJ people seem to use a lawyer and in the southern part of the state, people use title companies. Always a good idea to have someone look over stuff but with new houses, it seems less of an issue and you can read it yourself. No negotiation with the new house either here or in NJ.
Old 03-01-2020, 07:31 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by wsachs View Post
The title company really doesn't care about you. They will get their money, no matter if you get screwed or not. Why would you buy something for $300k+ and have no one who knows what you're signing attend. What might it cost you, $300-400 for a real estate lawyer to read over the paperwork for you before closing so everything is in YOUR best interest? Not the lender or title company.
We closed twice here and more than eight times in Ohio and Indiana without a lawyer. Some states require them. I had NEVER heard of anyone using a lawyer at closing until it had been brought up many times here. Also in the more than a dozen years I have lived here I haven't heard of anyone having trouble with closing. Some people said they were surprised at the bond. It is imperative you know about the bond. It is a significant added cost usually added to the cost of the home in other states. Sometimes in used homes the bond is partially or completely paid.

In new homes here the cost of the bond ranges from about 15K to about 50K depending on the type of home and where it is. I do not think that the developers sales people are any less ethical or efficient than a realtor with a big R.

I find house sellers from a little annoying to very annoying and the villages sales agents are NOT pushy, have no need to lie to you, because if you don't want it the next folks will.

Last edited by graciegirl; 03-01-2020 at 05:20 PM.
Old 03-01-2020, 07:36 AM

Not needed in Florida..
Old 03-01-2020, 07:38 AM

I would always use an attorney to close on a real estate transaction anywhere. The Villages, in 2010 insisted I did not need title insurance. Are you kidding? Are you capable of reading a survey for boundary lines and easements? How many people post about being angry that they bought a lot adjacent to vacant land and now they are building an apartment complex or Lowes behind them. Obviously, they missed the disclosure by The Villages in the contract!
Old 03-01-2020, 07:38 AM

We've never used a Lawyer; on the other hand, our daughter in Chicago has to use one every time she buys or sells. It's different requirements or procedures in different areas. Here in TV, you don't need one unless you want one to personally review your contract prior to closing. Having gone through two closings, I wouldn't use one. No need...you don't get to change anything.
Old 03-01-2020, 07:42 AM

We closed remotely, but we didn't buy from TV realty...we bought a previously owned home from the MLS. We used a Title company and all went well, including the wire transfer. We did have an attorney look over the contract to purchase prior to signing, as there was an issue with the roof and the sellers were replacing it. They wanted us to pay half and the title company would hold the 2nd half in escrow until the work was done. My lawyer nixed that and we delayed closing until all the work was done.
Prior to the wire transfer, the Title company required us to call and verify that it was going to the correct bank. They sent us the information well ahead of time so we could be assured we weren't being scammed. My bank in PA (Wells Fargo) handled the wire transfer for us free of charge.
The attorney at closing is really there to insure that the title is clear. That's what your title company is doing for you and they are insured.
Old 03-01-2020, 08:00 AM
Default Lawyer at closing

Our 1st closing with The Villages was in 2004. Coming from NJ where closings are an expensive nightmare, we were amazed at how quick, simple and smooth the closing was. Our 2nd closing in 2013 was exactly the same. the Villages do it right.
Old 03-01-2020, 08:03 AM

I believe lawyers may be required in North Jersey but are optional in South Jersey.
Old 03-01-2020, 08:09 AM

You must come from NY...where they are required. Feel free to hire a lawyer, and that's your business, but you do not need one here. It will be easy money for him. BTW, I sold houses in both GA and FL. Title company handles everything here very professionally.
Old 03-01-2020, 08:11 AM

I was a residential loan closer for years. We bought the land here and had a house built on it in the Villages. I took over 2 hours at closing and went thru everything and read every piece of paperwork. I would suggest that even if buying a new home you either sit and read thru every piece of paperwork involved and ask any questions you may have or that you pay an attorney to do that and explaine everything to you, all deed restrictions on your property. It's a very small amount of money compared to the cost of your home. The Villages and title company makes sure you have a clear title, you are not hiring an attorney for that. You are hiring an attorney to explain all the additional paperwork and restrictions on the land and future increases allowed to your amenities fees so there are no surprises. The Villages would not give us anything to read before closing and the villages sales representatives are not licensed realtors. It also clearly states in paperwork that you sign at closing that anything a sales rep. tells you is not binding, only what's in the paperwork you sign is binding. If you sign the paperwork without reading it or having it explained to you by an attorney you might end up quite unhappy and posting on this site. Hire an attorney to represent you. It is money well spent.
As I said, I read it all 19 years ago and have been very happy here. Oh, I was 45 when I moved here.
Old 03-01-2020, 08:17 AM

We are closing on Monday and will not have a lawyer present. I will admit I did not read the entire contract but if there were something shady some one would have caught it with the volume they do.
Old 03-01-2020, 08:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nucky View Post
In Central, Northern & Western N.J. not only do you need a Lawyer at closing but sometimes a Suit Of Armor is appropriate. I will be represented in Florida In The Villages for my next closing without a doubt. I have absolutely no problem to report from our first closing but for $500 I want someone to look things over on my behalf. The majority of the people I know didn't lawyer up for their Villages Closing and have had no problems.

How about THE FACT that you can not bring a Certified or Cashiers Check to a Florida Closing. It has to be via wire transfer. If there is one number off the possibility exist's that your money will end up in only God knows where and you will not be able to retrieve it in many cases. This was my experience anyway, yours may differ. Good Luck with to the OP with your decision.
I just bought a CYV in January and I went to my BOFA branch and got a bank check for the remaining amount after the earnest money and handed them the check at closing.. It was a resale sold by the Villages. Was actually the most organized and quickest closing I ever had.

Bought and sold several homes in Florida since 1985 and never had any issues. Several of the documents you sign are required by Florida law for a real estate transaction. The key document is the settlement statement. Its important that you understand that and do a little math. I have built 3 new homes in Florida and you will find that tract home builders will not change their contractual documents unless its in times like the last financial crisis when they 'needed' to sell 'any' homes.. In times when they are flying off the shelves like in TV they will say take it or leave it.
Old 03-01-2020, 08:28 AM

Most states are Title states and do not require an Attorney. The Title company handles all the needed searches and paperwork. It is much more effective and streamlines the process. I was a Mortgage Broker in NYS and having an Attorney for the Buyer, Seller and Lender is cumbersome and a lot more expensive for all parties.
Old 03-01-2020, 08:29 AM
Default Better to know than to complain

Quote:
Originally Posted by RH5037 View Post
We are closing on Monday and will not have a lawyer present. I will admit I did not read the entire contract but if there were something shady some one would have caught it with the volume they do.
It's not the "something shady" that you have an attorney there for, it's so that you understand all the restrictions on your property and future fee increases. It's so that you are buying with your eyes wide open and with full knowledge. That is worth a few hundred dollars. So many posters here never read their documents and now complain about things that are clearly spelled out at closing. You're spending a lot of money on your new home, how about truly knowing what you are buying into? Better to know now than to complain later.
Closed Thread

Tags
home, closing, buying, represent, common

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.