Bye Bye Massey

Closed Thread
Old 05-23-2023, 06:43 AM
Veteran member
Thanked 1,635 Times in 442 Posts
Default Bye Bye Massey

I closed on my new patio villa in December. At the time, I was still flying back and forth to Colorado until February, as I was selling my old home there. I needed to get signed my quickly for lawn service, and went with Massey, as I saw there lawn signs all over the place.

I knew better to than to sign a long-term contract (thanks TOTV users), and just went month-to-month, signing up for all their services.

During the winter and early spring months, I had no issues with them, and my lawn looked great. However, over the last month, they have been AWOL more than once. I called them this morning, as my grass is growing quite high, with lots of weeds appearing. The operator on phone said I should be getting my grass cut once a week - when I asked when I am scheduled for my next cutting, she said tomorrow. When I asked when was it cut last, she looked and said it should have been cut last week, but for some reason. She said it has been over two weeks since it was last cut. I told her I am paying for weekly cutting, that isn’t happening. She never apologized, just said let me have the manager in charge of cutting call you. I am awaiting his call as I type this.

A survey of lawns in my neighborhood with Massey, all have lawns much in need of needing mowed. It is really obvious right now who has Massey or who doesn’t’.

Those neighbors who have Dean’s have nicely and frequently mowed lawns. Two days ago, seeing this issue, I gave Massey my 30-day and notice and signed up with Dean’s.

I have read comment on TOTV previously about Massey, but it was just recently that the issues raised on TOTV by them (having to call them out to do their jobs and show up to mow) have affected me.

Funny, that they continue to have such a huge chunk of TV as customers, in spite of so many negative reviews.
Old 05-23-2023, 07:17 AM
Sage
Thanked 13,681 Times in 5,231 Posts

Massey and Dean's both have issues and complaints. I use Massey because they are the only company in The Villages that will do every needed service. Dean's will not do irrigation maintenance. Also, Dean's requires a credit card that they can charge every month. But, if they did irrigation maintenance and repair, and might give them a try.
Old 05-23-2023, 07:41 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Location: Drayton Plains, MI, Vietnam, Waterford, MI, Pennacamp, Fernandina, Duval, 1 retired in Richmond
Thanked 1,588 Times in 567 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael 61 View Post
I closed on my new patio villa in December. At the time, I was still flying back and forth to Colorado until February, as I was selling my old home there. I needed to get signed my quickly for lawn service, and went with Massey, as I saw there lawn signs all over the place.

I knew better to than to sign a long-term contract (thanks TOTV users), and just went month-to-month, signing up for all their services.

During the winter and early spring months, I had no issues with them, and my lawn looked great. However, over the last month, they have been AWOL more than once. I called them this morning, as my grass is growing quite high, with lots of weeds appearing. The operator on phone said I should be getting my grass cut once a week - when I asked when I am scheduled for my next cutting, she said tomorrow. When I asked when was it cut last, she looked and said it should have been cut last week, but for some reason. She said it has been over two weeks since it was last cut. I told her I am paying for weekly cutting, that isn’t happening. She never apologized, just said let me have the manager in charge of cutting call you. I am awaiting his call as I type this.

A survey of lawns in my neighborhood with Massey, all have lawns much in need of needing mowed. It is really obvious right now who has Massey or who doesn’t’.

Those neighbors who have Dean’s have nicely and frequently mowed lawns. Two days ago, seeing this issue, I gave Massey my 30-day and notice and signed up with Dean’s.

I have read comment on TOTV previously about Massey, but it was just recently that the issues raised on TOTV by them (having to call them out to do their jobs and show up to mow) have affected me.

Funny, that they continue to have such a huge chunk of TV as customers, in spite of so many negative reviews.
Those new to TV, learn quickly which services, just don’t show up. We have had Deans since “07” always show up, and great office customer service.

Massey got a large chunk of Richmond, and it’s very noticeable, ow many yards are not being mowed by them.

We use Deans not just because they show up, but their techs are not only good at their job, they live and love it. It’s the employees that make the business.
Old 05-23-2023, 08:06 AM
Gold member

Massey just started doing mowing here about 5 years ago. In many other areas, Massey does not provide that service. We have always been happy with Massey for pest control but I leave lawn and shrubbery maintenance to the companies that specialize in that.
Old 05-23-2023, 08:39 AM
Veteran member

We find Massey to be ok except for grass cutting. We use another service to cut our grass.
Old 05-23-2023, 09:30 AM
Veteran member
Thanked 1,635 Times in 442 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by thelegges View Post
Those new to TV, learn quickly which services, just don’t show up. We have had Deans since “07” always show up, and great office customer service.

Massey got a large chunk of Richmond, and it’s very noticeable, ow many yards are not being mowed by them.

We use Deans not just because they show up, but their techs are not only good at their job, they live and love it. It’s the employees that make the business.
I agree - talking on the phone to Dean’s vs Massey is night and day. Dean’s customer service is awesome, Massey is the typical disinterested call-center employee who comes across as “indifferent” and not personal on the phone.
Old 05-23-2023, 11:12 AM
Sage
Thanked 14,037 Times in 5,329 Posts

Massey does a great job on pest control, that is because the same guy has been doing it for three years and he is very responsible.

Had them for irrigation. 5 different people in a year doing it 5 different ways and never telling me when they were coming. Got rid of them after a year and have a neighbor doing this for me.

Had them for fertilizing and paying a lot for very little, so they went away quickly.

Technician for pest control told me that grass cutting dept is a turnstyle and stay away so I have.

Last edited by Stu from NYC; 05-23-2023 at 01:03 PM.
Old 05-23-2023, 12:55 PM

Massey's been mostly okay for some services, but not for lawn...weed control, fertilization and sprinkler maintenance.

Anybody have any recommendations for another service to improve our lawn?
Old 05-23-2023, 01:38 PM

Nubie to T.V.(2018), saw all the Massey signs , soo no brainer...Signed up for everything, for all the services..Massey showed up to check my irrigation system, told this will take all afternoon...One and a half hour later showed up with a $1,200 bill...After Massey left, I started to think..Called Massey supervisor, show me the work you did for $1,200. .. Supervisor could not, and started to sweet talk(where are you from, etc) about a bill reduction.. Cancelled the whole contract...

Last edited by Villagevip; 05-23-2023 at 02:07 PM.
Old 05-23-2023, 01:56 PM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,707 Times in 761 Posts

Massey rep was honest and said they didn’t have resources for lawn cutting. Bought a 300 electric mower and done in 10 minutes
Old 05-23-2023, 02:11 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,009 Times in 1,737 Posts

I use a specialized lawn service to cut grass and trim bushes. Massey for fertilizing grass and weed control and pests. Dean’s for termites. When I had tiny caterpillar like bugs in the lanai Massey came out and set traps for all types of insects. Treated the outside too. A week later the same person came out again checked everything. Three months later I was up north when I got a call from the same person, he had gone to my place again and checked for pest control progress. He also coaches after school at the Villages school. Best service ever! This year the winter was dry and in the spring I had largish patches of weeds in the grass. I called and the next day we, Massey service guy and myself, went out together and treated every patch. The grass was slower to grow this year, but my weeds disappeared after a week or so. So, those services seem pretty good with Massey.
Old 05-23-2023, 03:13 PM
Default You should NOT be cutting your grass every week in the winter!

I use a local family owned business for cutting my lawn. They told me the during the winter months, they will only cut the lawn once, maybe twice a month. The grass goes dormant and requires much less water. During the summer months, they come once a week and have me adjust the watering schedule to accommodate. If you are paying to have your lawn cut once a week in the winter, you are throwing money away.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael 61 View Post

Old 05-23-2023, 09:11 PM

We closed on our home on 12/21 and did very similar thing--went all-in with Massey and had negative experience with the mowing service--just not showing up to mow. We have since cancelled all services with them except for checking the termite bait stations. Much different experience than where we were from (Louisiana), which struck us as strange. We went with SonLife for mowing and we are very happy with them. Also we love to have an opportunity to support a Christian-owned business.
Old 05-24-2023, 04:47 AM
Default Lawn services - Dean's and Massery

Quote:
Originally Posted by thelegges View Post

We've been using Dean's - full services - for almost 4 years. I retired 2 years ago and started mowing myself. That turns out to be once every 3 to 4 weeks, in the winter, and 2 to 3 times per week in the summer "growing season". They handle the chemicals and I handle the mowing. My mower mows my yard only hence I don't get "hitchhikers" from other yards.

Hand mowing, rain, irrigation water and Dean's chemicals and we get:
Attached Thumbnails
The Villages Florida: Click image for larger version

Name:	Lawn picture.jpg
Views:	1665
Size:	64.3 KB
ID:	98578  
Old 05-24-2023, 05:48 AM
Veteran member
Thanked 1,074 Times in 431 Posts

Lots of folks come to the same realization you did, after a time. I finally wised up last year, and bought an Ego electric mower, trimmer, and blower. I now mow/trim my own yard, and it has never looked better. I literally spend less time each week mowing, than I use to spend trying to track down the guy that was supposed to show up and mow.

And, as mentioned, you mow less frequently during the winter months. From roughly November thru March, cutting your grass once every 3 - 4 weeks is sufficient.
Closed Thread

Tags
massey, cut, totv, call, lawns

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.