Closed Thread
Old 06-28-2022, 09:17 AM
Sage
Location: Illinois, Tennesee, Florida, Village of Caroline, Sanibel, LaBelle
Thanked 1,308 Times in 542 Posts
Default Cabinets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Normal View Post
We recently closed on our new build and just discovered the wrong cabinets we’re installed (MDF Material). How long does it usually take for new cabinets to be changed throughout the house once they are procured? Will backsplash and counters be removed or displaced? Will drywall issues occur?
Live with the cabinets, get reimbursed by the contractor and move on. Life is too short…
Old 06-28-2022, 09:24 AM
Default Warranty workmanship

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredguy123 View Post
One intangible thing that you should consider is that, when you ask workers to remove and replace work that they have performed, especially when it was not their fault, the quality of the workmanship will probably be affected. And, the builder will most likely not send their best workers to perform the rework.
This is an understatement!

Someone redoing some tilework put 25 chips in our tub. The tub repair guy damaged our LVP flooring with tub refinishing products. Tub replaced with a sixth tub which we accepted with a flaw. More tile rework and drywall repair and painting stretched over many weeks - not coordinated at all. Floor is still not repaired six months later.
Old 06-28-2022, 09:26 AM

I just had utility room cabinets installed and they took about 6 wks to arrive from date ordered.
Old 06-28-2022, 09:35 AM
Default Confidence in warranty?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulz View Post
Consider getting your VLS Sales representative and with your construction manager involved. The Villages prioritizes their reputation and their goal is to make things easy for residences. I’m sure they will do everything they can to deliver what you paid for. Timing is strictly up to supply chain issues.
Why are you sure about this? Based on my recent experience and exchange with other's experiences, I'm confident they are overwhelmed, they stall, and they hope you are worn down and will give up out of frustration. Salesperson and builder have been no help to us.
Old 06-28-2022, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papa_lecki View Post
It’s basically replacing a kitchen. Probably 10 to 12 weeks.
Plan to NOT have a kitchen (no stove, fridge, dishwasher).
You will have a stove, fridge, etc. My husband and I have redone 3 kitchens in our time. You won't have counters. So a makeshift folding table works.

They don't take everything out until new cabinets here. As far as plumbing, they only disconnect water while doing the new install. That takes a couple of weeks with having to get each sub there.

Talk to the builder. And you will have to be a pain in butt to hurry them along once cabinets here

This is sad. I would ask for financial compensation for the days you cannot use your kitchen either way.

Best of luck.. They are building homes much too fast.
Old 06-28-2022, 11:28 AM
Unhappy New Build

Quote:
We recently closed on our new build and just discovered the wrong cabinets we’re installed (MDF Material). How long does it usually take for new cabinets to be changed throughout the house once they are procured? Will backsplash and counters be removed or displaced? Will drywall issues occur?
We closed on a new build in Citrus Grove in January.It has been a nightmare.Many many defects.Still working on it.Drywall people are very hard to work with.Contractors will do part of the job or do it incorrectly, then you have to go through warranty to get them back.I would never buy a new build here again.Your best bet is to have them buy back the house. Get an attorney and be loud about it.You will be months doing the repairs and your house will be unlivable.Good luck.
Old 06-28-2022, 11:57 AM
Default Nightmare!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjdfitzpatrick@aol.com View Post
We closed on a new build in Citrus Grove in January.It has been a nightmare.Many many defects.Still working on it.Drywall people are very hard to work with.Contractors will do part of the job or do it incorrectly, then you have to go through warranty to get them back.I would never buy a new build here again.Your best bet is to have them buy back the house. Get an attorney and be loud about it.You will be months doing the repairs and your house will be unlivable.Good luck.
Thank you for sharing your experience. We also have had an extremely bad experience.

Horrible designer
Delayed design
Delayed build
Major defect day of closing
Horrible cabinets - wellborn
Horrible windows - pgt
Horrible tilework - nickel
Horrible trimwork
Crooked walls
Bad knockdown and orange peel application
Scratched floors

That's just a partial list.

And we haven't even had our inspection yet.

Really affects what is expected to be a pleasureable experience moving here for the lifestyle and not being able to enjoy it because you have to stay home all day long for warranty. Can't have guests and certainly can't show them your subpar custom design house with any sense of pride.

If enough of us share, perhaps those who say warranty is great will think twice before making that general statement.
Old 06-28-2022, 12:11 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SusanStCatherine View Post
FYI - I consulted a good lawyer. $20,000 retainer and $600/hr. And go up against a powerful entity?
Correct, but other tangibles involved including time and aggravation. This is a crazy f..k by the builder.
Old 06-28-2022, 12:56 PM

Make sure you have documentation. Every phone call has date and time and duration. Names of every person you talked with and what was discussed. Get things in writing.
Photograph everything. Up close, Wide view. Multiple angles. Doors open and closed. Floor and walls and counter and sink and backsplash. Appliances. You are creating proof that things are not damaged prior to any contractor causing related damages.
For a typical kitchen alone, I would take at least 150 to 250 pictures. All with good lighting, which does not mean your cell phone "flash".
Repeat a base set of photos before and after anyone touches or alters anything.

Lead times on cabinets could be months.

Also check that the right drawer slides get ordered. Premium cabinets should have under drawer soft close slides. Door hinges should be soft close. Drawers with dovetail joints.

You might want to get an inspection by an expert home inspector. Now and after. They could help with making sure you get the right stuff. Possibly work with a cabinet company instead to guide you. I've heard good things about Summers Enterprises (I have no connection to them)

You are also entitled to all reasonable out of pocket expenses that may arise.

Get everything in writing from someone authorized to act as a TV representative.
Get everything in writing from someone authorized to act as a TV representative.

Last edited by TrapX; 06-29-2022 at 07:32 AM.
Old 06-28-2022, 03:34 PM

Get what you paid for. Stand your ground. The builder made a huge mistake, he owes you to fix it all to what was on the contract and what you paid for. He should also reimburse you for your inconvenience being without a kitchen and bathrooms while he is correcting his mistake. Hire an attorney if you have to. Thus is your dream home and at best the builder made a mistake, at worst he was trying to get away with pocketing the money he saved by installing inferior much cheaper cabinets. Get what you paid for.
Old 06-29-2022, 12:06 AM

Check out my new custom home build cabinets. Zoom in and see how bad the cabinets can look with bad installation. If you only have a couple issues, count your blessings - we have hundreds.
Attached Thumbnails
The Villages Florida: Click image for larger version

Name:	20220605_154149.jpg
Views:	238
Size:	12.6 KB
ID:	94336   The Villages Florida: Click image for larger version

Name:	20220515_152007.jpg
Views:	231
Size:	15.4 KB
ID:	94337   The Villages Florida: Click image for larger version

Name:	20220512_125318.jpg
Views:	201
Size:	10.2 KB
ID:	94338   The Villages Florida: Click image for larger version

Name:	20220512_130012~2.jpg
Views:	222
Size:	6.6 KB
ID:	94339   The Villages Florida: Click image for larger version

Name:	20220515_160716.jpg
Views:	237
Size:	10.5 KB
ID:	94340  

Last edited by SusanStCatherine; 06-29-2022 at 12:37 AM. Reason: Photos wouldn't show
Old 06-29-2022, 05:55 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,522 Times in 628 Posts

Quote:
I have read the whole thread but nowhere that I can find you state where your house is located. Assumption is in TV but it could be in Kalamazoo for all we know
Old 06-29-2022, 06:04 AM

All of our cabinets in the whole house had to be replaced due to faulty finish by the manufacturer...kitchen, bathrooms, laundry. Quartz counter tops were removed...one had to be replaced as it broke (they covered the costs). Once the new cabinets arrived, old ones were removed and new ones installed within 4 days (3 nights). We were accommodated in the Alden Villas...took our own food over as it couldn't be in the cabinets. It's a hassle, but you'll have the cabinets you ordered so much happier in the end.
Old 06-29-2022, 06:40 AM
Location: Currently live in White Bear Lake, MN/Alhambra Village, FL. Lived in Columbia, SC. From Beacon, NY.

Reading all of these posts, I am glad we purchased an older home from 2000! I am slowly changing things out a little at a time.
Old 06-29-2022, 09:23 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by SusanStCatherine View Post
Check out my new custom home build cabinets. Zoom in and see how bad the cabinets can look with bad installation. If you only have a couple issues, count your blessings - we have hundreds.
Wow - looks like a failed 6th grade project. My sympathies.
Closed Thread

Tags
cabinets, changed, house, cabinet, procured

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.