Cable Television Alternative

Closed Thread
Old 05-21-2018, 07:19 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,154 Times in 770 Posts
Default Cable Television Alternative

Evidently my two year guaranteed price contact with Comcast must be up. My bill just shot up $35.00.

I'm so sick and tired of arguing with these people all the time that I'm at the point of considering an alternative.

I have a couple of problems. One is that I think their product is the best available. Secondly, I use the internet a lot so I need good fast internet. I have a bundle with television, internet, and home security. We don't even use the home security. We only got it because it was cheaper to buy a bundle of three services than it was to buy two services.

I live up in the historic district and I believe that Comcast is the only cable company available up here.

A lot of people around me have Direct TV. I've heard good and bad about it. It seems that for some people it goes out every time it drizzles and for others, it only goes out for a short while when there is major rain and wind. Comcast has been having signal problems lately as well.

So I'm looking for suggestions. Please omit that I stop watching television or get an antenna for local stations only.

Are there other cable companies in my area? Can I keep Comcast internet and get Direct TV? What other internet companies are available to me? I understand that Brighthouse has an office up here, but I'm told they don't service this area.

Thanks
The Beatlemaniacs of The Villages meet every Friday 10:00am at the O'Dell Recreation Center.

"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend." - Thomas Jefferson to William Hamilton, April 22, 1800.
Old 05-21-2018, 07:32 PM
Gold member

Call them and tell them to connect you with somebody in retention, they will make a deal
Old 05-21-2018, 07:46 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,625 Times in 1,884 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Winston O Boogie jr View Post
Evidently my two year guaranteed price contact with Comcast must be up. My bill just shot up $35.00.

I'm so sick and tired of arguing with these people all the time that I'm at the point of considering an alternative.

I have a couple of problems. One is that I think their product is the best available. Secondly, I use the internet a lot so I need good fast internet. I have a bundle with television, internet, and home security. We don't even use the home security. We only got it because it was cheaper to buy a bundle of three services than it was to buy two services.

I live up in the historic district and I believe that Comcast is the only cable company available up here.

A lot of people around me have Direct TV. I've heard good and bad about it. It seems that for some people it goes out every time it drizzles and for others, it only goes out for a short while when there is major rain and wind. Comcast has been having signal problems lately as well.

So I'm looking for suggestions. Please omit that I stop watching television or get an antenna for local stations only.

Are there other cable companies in my area? Can I keep Comcast internet and get Direct TV? What other internet companies are available to me? I understand that Brighthouse has an office up here, but I'm told they don't service this area.

Thanks
There are two ways to set the channels on Direct TV. The secret way allows you to view during bad weather. It is very easy to accomplish. $35 for CenturyLink, no problems except access to TOTV'S twice in almost two years. Direct TV. $70 a month for the best Service on any Vendor we have every had in our home anywhere. Direct TV as the kids say is "The Bomb" Make sure to ask for a Company Installer instead of a Contractor if you decide to proceed with them. Brighthouse was a no go two years ago because I was shopping price. They don't want to come over to these parts.
Old 05-22-2018, 01:17 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nucky View Post
There are two ways to set the channels on Direct TV. The secret way allows you to view during bad weather. It is very easy to accomplish. $35 for CenturyLink, no problems except access to TOTV'S twice in almost two years. Direct TV. $70 a month for the best Service on any Vendor we have every had in our home anywhere. Direct TV as the kids say is "The Bomb" Make sure to ask for a Company Installer instead of a Contractor if you decide to proceed with them. Brighthouse was a no go two years ago because I was shopping price. They don't want to come over to these parts.
I am a long time customer of DTV, and I don't know any secret way to set the channels. Can you enlighten us?

Laughter is the best medicine, unless you're being treated for Shingles
Old 05-22-2018, 05:07 AM
Sage
Thanked 13,707 Times in 5,240 Posts

When my Comcast 2-year agreement was going to go up by $35, I looked at the options and decided to add all of the premium channels. This made the bill go up by $55 instead of $35. But, I now have every premium channel, including hbo, showtime, cinemax, movie chanel and a bunch of other channels. My internet speed also increased to 150 mbps. So, I am paying more, but, I think the extra $20 for all premium channels vs none is worth it. I also have the Comcast Xfinity Mobile cell phone for $45 per month with unlimited data and talk.
Old 05-22-2018, 06:02 AM

I called when the two year contract was up and got the same price for two more years. I do keep track of the contract date so i don't get a surprise bill.
Old 05-22-2018, 06:13 AM

Comcast was going to raise our bill to over $190. My husband and I walked into the new store at Rolling Acres & 441, and a person there said that there was a really good deal for new customers. Hint. hint. So we cancelled my husband's account, and I signed up as a new customer for cable and internet. I have a 2-year contract for about $103/mo, and when that's up my husband will be the "new" customer. I just have to keep track of the 1 year of "extras", and cancel that before the price goes up.
Old 05-22-2018, 08:18 AM
Sage
Thanked 9,067 Times in 2,743 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by aninjamom View Post
Comcast was going to raise our bill to over $190. My husband and I walked into the new store at Rolling Acres & 441, and a person there said that there was a really good deal for new customers. Hint. hint. So we cancelled my husband's account, and I signed up as a new customer for cable and internet. I have a 2-year contract for about $103/mo, and when that's up my husband will be the "new" customer. I just have to keep track of the 1 year of "extras", and cancel that before the price goes up.
That's a good idea.
Old 05-22-2018, 09:15 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,625 Times in 1,884 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobnBev View Post
I am a long time customer of DTV, and I don't know any secret way to set the channels. Can you enlighten us?
No problem.

1) Settings

2) Display

3) Preferences to Guide Channels. Set to Show All Channels.

When you go to the Guide you will see a choice of two channels for each channel. Use the one that is NOT marked HD.
It has worked like a charm even in the worst storms. So far that is.

Yesterday I ordered the Old School Remote Controls from Amazon. They were only about $5 each. We think they are easier to use. PM me if you need more help.

Last edited by Nucky; 05-22-2018 at 09:44 AM. Reason: Speallinng
Old 05-22-2018, 09:42 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nucky View Post
No problem.

1) Settings

2) Display

3) Preferences to Guide Channels. Se to Show All Channels.

When you go to the Guide you will see a choice of two channels for each channel. Use the one that is NOT marked HD.
It has worked like a charm even in the worst storms. So far that is.

Yesterday I ordered the Old School Remote Controls from Amazon. They were only about $5 each. We think they are easier to use. PM me if you need more help.
Got it, thanks. I also prefer the old remotes.

Laughter is the best medicine, unless you're being treated for Shingles
Old 05-22-2018, 10:41 AM

I'm going to try Directv now package which is over internet, so no satellite. 60 channels for $35/month. Also no contract so if it doesn't work, I can change.
Old 05-22-2018, 11:19 AM

I switched from Comcast to DirecTV Now Streaming. I kept just Comcast Internet. DirecTV Now is great! I would have gotten the lowest package for $35/mo but my wife wanted The Weather Channel so I bumped up to the next package for $50/mo. I became a beta user to get the DVR feature, but now they are coming out with DVR on all packages. What is really nice for me is that I can use my FL account when I go to MA!! One $50/mo bill! Just keep the Internet and that's all you need except for a streaming devise for every TV. I use Fire TV and Fire TV Sticks. $70/mo for Internet at each location and $50/mo for DirecTV Now. - - - $190 for FL & MA!
Old 05-22-2018, 02:54 PM
Platinum member

Sony Vue has some good packages that start around $40.00 per month. All include to local stations. You will need to invest in a device such as a roku stick. With the Sony Vue and Comcast internet service you can keep your basic cost around $100.00 per month. When I mentioned this to Comcast, low and behold, they were able to offer a package for a year that meets this pricing. Another suggestion to save a few bucks with Comcast is to used their streaming service for your secondary TVs. To use the service you must have a Comcast box on at least 1 TV. This will save you the cost of renting the converter boxes, you get HD, and the On-Demand services. PM me if you would like more specific details.
Old 05-22-2018, 03:01 PM
Veteran member

YouTube tv with the golf channel is $40 a month. The cheapest directv now package with the golf channel is $60. That’s why I switched to YouTube tv.
Old 05-22-2018, 03:10 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brucernelson View Post
YouTube tv with the golf channel is $40 a month. The cheapest directv now package with the golf channel is $60. That’s why I switched to YouTube tv.
Do you receive the local stations?

Tags
internet, comcast, people, cable, television

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.