Check out insert in The Sun

Closed Thread
Old 12-14-2007, 01:48 PM
Default Check out insert in The Sun

Very informative. I am in group 1 and proud of it. ;D
Old 12-14-2007, 02:28 PM
Veteran member
Default Re: Check out insert in The Sun

It was an informative read over the breakfast table this morning. It was the clearest explanation of CDD's, VCD's, amenity operation, repair and replacement reserves and the class action suit I have seen. Suddenly the gorilla in the room is not so terrifying. It's worth a second read this afternoon after golf.

I suspect most Villagers are with you in Group 1 although some will contest that opinion. Have a nice day.
Old 12-14-2007, 02:42 PM
Veteran member

For those of us who are still in the frozen hinterland, is there a link to this online? I looked and couldn't find any. If, as I suspect, there isn't, can someone enlighten us? thanks.

Also: Wheeling, WV * Youngstown, OH* Niles, OH * Oshkosh, WI * Ft. Worth, TX * Da Bronx * Marathon, NY * Bricktown, NJ * Newark, DE * San Antonio, TX * Washington, DC * Tacoma, WA
Old 12-14-2007, 03:19 PM
Veteran member

Ditto... would like to see a summary, or a scanned copy :bigthumbsup: Thanks.
Brockton, MA 1946-49 * Fort Lauderdale 1950-66 * Northern Virginia (Army) 1967-69 * North Lauderdale 1970-72 * Coconut Creek 1973-87 * St. Louis 1988-89 # Northern Virginia (again) 1990-2000 * Destin, FL 2001-08 * The Villages - Amelia/Hadley
Old 12-14-2007, 03:47 PM

Try this link:

http://thevillagesfl.blogspot.com/

The blog author summarizes the insert's content in his latest post.

Plymouth (MA)
Lexington (MA)
Old 12-14-2007, 04:21 PM
Sage

Thanks for the link Golf-T

Jeez, i have to read legal documents every day of my life but this is one confusing issue. I guess it all comes down to how much the new Activity committees will need to do their job in perpetuity. The amounts mentioned by Morse seem huge but (knowling the way any developer works) I'm sure that they are the bare minimum to satisfy the class action suit.
Old 12-14-2007, 05:13 PM
Sage

I'm in Group 1 as well. I enjoyed the article and admire the developer.
Old 12-14-2007, 05:28 PM
Gold member

I am in group 1 as well. I am grateful to the group who instituted the suit beacause it seems like there is a dialogue, albeit a legal one, and we are getting some answers to some very important questions
Old 12-14-2007, 06:05 PM

http://thevillagesfl.blogspot.com/#6464231659073899198
Old 12-14-2007, 07:04 PM
Veteran member

The supplement looks like it would be very difficult to scan unless someone is way more proficient than I am with a computer. I just called the Sun to find out if additional copies were available for you and those that were out of town. I was advised they just went to subscribers and at the moment the Sun did not intend to print additional issues. The blog mentioned is helpful but far short of the detailed history of development and current status.

The Sun supplement is entitled "Yesterday, Today and Tomorrow".

The sub-headings are:

How do you build the World's Premier Community for 100,000 retirees on 25,000 acres? Answer: We think we're learning.

Talks about first venture with Orange Blossom Gardens and relationship with first POA. The original improvements as a result and the first free golf initiative

Where do we go from here?

Decision to develop 3 small towns like the ones we grew up in.

The Secrets in the Planning

Defined boundaries of Villages, Hwys: 42, 44, 301 and 441. Deciding ratio of home to facilities. 47 golf courses (35 exec./12 champ) 91 rec centers, 23 Villages, 61 postal fac., 69 pools, 84 miles of rec. trails

Trucks, Cars, Golf Carts, Bicycles, In-Line Skaters, Joggers and Walkers. How do you keep them all flowing throughout the community.

Original golf cart paths were made for golf cart only. Golf cart paths became multi-modal and were designed to handle all modes as Villages grew, especially south of 466.

Where does all the money come from?

Billions to develop TV. 3 towns, dozen shopping centers, 100,000 residents at completion. Needed framework to fund maintenance in perpetuity. Looked at Disney World structure.

Enter: Community Development District Government

Disney started Development District Government. Morse hired Gary Moyer, foremost authority on District Governments in Florida.

The Plan

Districts designed for ultimate self government in perpetuity. In case of Disney, no resident, Disney controls. Villages divided into 10 numbered districts of property owners. 3 town districts, no residents, and control, like Disney, residing with the Morse family.

The problem with the plan

Developer says 3 town districts should retain responsibility to assess land owners to maintain their districts and enforce bond covenants. But, after, developer builds amenities, and transfers them to districts, responsibility should be turned over to residents. The rub: some residents approved of transfer of responsibility, some did not. In the interim, until resident Amenity Authority Committee is established, the Village Center District has put in place a Resident Advisory Committee which has been working well. Developer says its first step in right direction.

Enter Politics

Developer ID's three groups. 1. Silent group, love living here. 2. Love living here and want to help. Gravitate to VHA. 3. Love living here but believe developers goal is take advantage of residents. Gravitate to POA. Group 3 largest complaint is that developer sells amenities to districts without establishing adequate repair and replacement costs and accurately project future increased cost. (This seems to be core of class action suit discussed later.)

The Solution

Developer says Group 3 complaint is "best thing that ever happened to every resident that's here today and yet to come." Developer admits some issues could have been handled better. Most glaring was not setting aside enough reserves to rebuild Paradise Center. A settlement offer will be put forward by the developer on Dec. 21. It would be an immediate payment of $11,803,168 and annual payments totaling $28,021,000 over the next 13 years. All monies go to the amenity Division budget to assure adequate reserves and continuity of amenity services. The class action suit will bring this before a judge for a fairness hearing and court approval of a fair settlement. This applies to the districts north of rt. 466. South of Rt. 466 will follow later hopefully with less acrimony.
[u]
The future

Essentially the plan is the same including the class action process for development south of 466. Hopefully, some of the earlier reserve funding mistakes will be out of the equation and the process will be smoother. No truth to rumor that the developer is going to Texas.

Sorry about the shouting (bold). I had a problem trying to bring the responses back to regular type. Its back to computer 101 if the administrator catches me with all that noise.

I tried to capture an abbreviated essence of the supplement for our friends and neighbors who are interested and out of town. It is not meant to be complete copy. Hope you find it useful.
Old 12-14-2007, 07:14 PM
Veteran member

Thanks, all. We think TV is a marvelous place and want to see it stay that way. Since we can't be down there full time to do our part (whatever that may be), it is nice to get help keeping up with it all.

Also: Wheeling, WV * Youngstown, OH* Niles, OH * Oshkosh, WI * Ft. Worth, TX * Da Bronx * Marathon, NY * Bricktown, NJ * Newark, DE * San Antonio, TX * Washington, DC * Tacoma, WA
Old 12-14-2007, 11:54 PM

I will try to find time to scan the entire article but will probably be next week. I have a party tomorrow, Kazoo on Sunday, Katie belles on Monday, Golf on Tuesday, cards on Weds, Christmas party on Thursday. LOL never a dull moment in TV. Kidding aside I will try to scan it tomorrow.
Old 12-15-2007, 12:03 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,131 Times in 417 Posts
Default Group 1 For Me

As far as "perpetuity" is concerned, I don't even buy green bananas.
Old 12-15-2007, 03:41 AM
Soaring Eagle member

[color=red]this insert in the paper today from the developer was outstanding and much needed at this time, It answered many misconceptions that some people have and verified others..The maps and flyovers were very informative and makes one very glad he owns a piece of this wonderful place..

the greatful fumar
Old 12-15-2007, 09:19 AM
Eternal Member
Send a message via AIM to Donna Send a message via Yahoo to Donna

Fumar,
I love the alligator..Is it a real one or were you at Alligator land where the statues are...

"Some People Live An Entire Lifetime and Wonder If They Have Ever Made a Difference In The World,
The Marines Don't Have That Problem" "Semper Fi"

"Coincidence is God's way of remaining anonymous" Albert Einstein
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.