Calling all cable cutters...DirectTV Now is live

Closed Thread
Old 11-30-2016, 08:52 PM
Default Calling all cable cutters...DirectTV Now is live

Just signed up for DirectTV Now. The service is $35 a month for over a hundred channels (i'm sure I will watch maybe 15). This is a special..with the hundred channel package normally going for $60. You also can get a fire stick or Apple TV for free if you sign up for a month or 3, respectively.

Only have had it for an hour or so but it seems good. There is no contract, however there is a special ongoing. Two people can stream at the same time. Picture quality is excellent.

The service has no local stations so an attic antenna with a TABLO will provide that content.

DIRECTV NOW.
Old 12-01-2016, 09:34 PM
Gold member

Website doesn't support Firefox browser?...
Old 12-02-2016, 06:53 AM
Email Reported As Spam

Direct TV just lost CBS? True?
Old 12-02-2016, 07:55 AM
Gold member

Please let us know how it performs during a thunderstorm...of which we have quite a few in all of florida.
Old 12-02-2016, 08:57 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by fred53 View Post
Please let us know how it performs during a thunderstorm...of which we have quite a few in all of florida.
You may lose your Direct TV during a thunderstorm so we just watch pre-recorded shows or non-high def stations then. This doesn't happen during every storm and many times just for a very few minutes. Once the storm is over it comes right back on. We had experience losing our cable with Comcast during a thunderstorm also and had to wait two days for them to come out and fix it. It's a toss up.
Old 12-02-2016, 09:11 AM

The new Directv service being discussed is a streaming service, It works over your internet connection through a apple tv or equivalent hookup. There is no outside dish therefore rain storms have no bearing on service.

So far the reviews I've seen are mixed.
Old 12-02-2016, 09:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubicon View Post
Direct TV just lost CBS? True?
CBS is still on the traditional Direct tv but not a part of the new streaming service.
CBS is starting their own service.

An OTA antenna is needed for local network channels with the streaming service.
Old 12-05-2016, 07:37 PM

no cbs,abc or nbc big ten network or local live stations,, idea,is good but if u want local. news ur out of luck with these
Old 12-05-2016, 07:44 PM

How can you "Cut The Cable" when you need an internet connection coming into your home for this service?????
Old 12-06-2016, 10:21 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordyM View Post
How can you "Cut The Cable" when you need an internet connection coming into your home for this service?????
Cutting the cable refers to getting rid of cable TV service. That's all. Yes, you still need Internet.

That still opens up the possibility of significant cost savings. I stress the word 'possibility'. It depends on your needs and wants regarding video and television.

(And actually you can get some TV with a good old-fashioned antenna. Then you can even cut the Internet cable. )
Old 12-12-2016, 07:30 PM
Chaser

I've evaluated this and Playstation Vue service. Unlike DirecTV Now, Playstation Vue offers a cloud-based DVR. Add your favorite shows and it will provide the current and older episodes whenever you want to watch them. Both services do not get all the local network channels which for me is a big deal. But the upside with both these streaming based services is you don't lease their equipment and pay those ridiculous monthly fees for equipment you'll never own. You do require a device like a Roku or Amazon Fire TV but you get services with those devices that have nothing to do with these TV services.
Old 12-17-2016, 11:11 AM

I have been using playstation vue (Sony Entertainment) for 3 months, Amazon Fire Box to stream. $34.00/ month, no fees, no tax. ABC and NBC is on demand, you have to wait 1 day fox is live and CBS thinks they can charge $10.00/ month just for them. I also get the 4 major networks with an antenna and channel master DVR, No charge for either after initial purchase. Very Happy.
Old 01-09-2017, 11:05 PM

Just purchased in the Villages and looking for internet and tv service. Just spoke with DirectTV tonight and they said that DirectTV Now will only work on mobile devices and is not available for Smart TVs. From what I read here guess it's like the IRS call back to get a better answer. For those now using DirectTV Now do you need a particularly high speed internet connection? Also considering having an attic antenna installed as well. We are located very near Spanish Springs. Does anyone up that way have an attic antenna and, if so,
how many local channels do you receive? Thanks in advance for your help.
Old 01-10-2017, 04:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioViper View Post
Just purchased in the Villages and looking for internet and tv service. Just spoke with DirectTV tonight and they said that DirectTV Now will only work on mobile devices and is not available for Smart TVs. From what I read here guess it's like the IRS call back to get a better answer. For those now using DirectTV Now do you need a particularly high speed internet connection? Also considering having an attic antenna installed as well. We are located very near Spanish Springs. Does anyone up that way have an attic antenna and, if so,
how many local channels do you receive? Thanks in advance for your help.
We have Directv and it works just fine on our two smart TV's.
Old 01-10-2017, 06:34 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,039 Times in 373 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordyM View Post
I was told, just last night, that it is WiFi. If you lose your internet you lose everything. It is early days yet, but this seems like the way to go in the future. Same as phone are going towards no contracts .... great idea.

Law of Logical Argument: Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about!

Since light travels faster than sound, some people appear bright until you hear them speak
Closed Thread

Tags
hundred, month, special, directtv, service

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.