Can the Daily Sun spread the virus?????

» Site Navigation
Home Page The Villages Maps The Villages Activities The Villages Clubs The Villages Book Healthcare Rentals Real Estate Section Classified Section The Villages Directory Home Improvement Site Guidelines Advertising Info Register Now Video Tutorials Frequently Asked Questions
» Newsletter Signup
» Premium Tower
» Advertisements
» Trending News
» Tower Sponsors




















» Premium Sponsors
» Banner Sponsors
» Advertisements
Closed Thread
Thread Tools
  #1  
Old 03-29-2020, 11:37 AM
CatskillBill's Avatar
CatskillBill CatskillBill is offline
Senior Member
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 366
Thanks: 0
Thanked 29 Times in 14 Posts
Default Can the Daily Sun spread the virus?????

We're told to sterilize everything we touch.
How many people handle our newspaper before we get it?
  #2  
Old 03-29-2020, 11:49 AM
Two Bills Two Bills is offline
Sage
Join Date: Aug 2016
Posts: 2,742
Thanks: 651
Thanked 3,229 Times in 1,059 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by CatskillBill View Post
We're told to sterilize everything we touch.
How many people handle our newspaper before we get it?
Probably a lot less than the people who handle the food you eat before you get it.
  #3  
Old 03-29-2020, 11:53 AM
Arctic Fox's Avatar
Arctic Fox Arctic Fox is offline
Gold member
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 1,458
Thanks: 3
Thanked 227 Times in 106 Posts
Default

The newspaper itself should be okay, but wash your hands after taking off the plastic cover
  #4  
Old 03-29-2020, 11:57 AM
Taltarzac725's Avatar
Taltarzac725 Taltarzac725 is offline
Sage
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 43,053
Thanks: 3,577
Thanked 1,406 Times in 1,010 Posts
Default

Newspapers CAN'''T pass on coronavirus and are completely safe to read, scientists confirm

Looks like chances are small for that.
  #5  
Old 03-29-2020, 11:57 AM
Arctic Fox's Avatar
Arctic Fox Arctic Fox is offline
Gold member
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 1,458
Thanks: 3
Thanked 227 Times in 106 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by CatskillBill View Post
We're told to sterilize everything we touch.
How many people handle our newspaper before we get it?
The newspaper itself should be okay, but wash your hands after taking off the plastic cover
  #6  
Old 03-29-2020, 12:47 PM
billethkid's Avatar
billethkid billethkid is offline
Sage
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 17,552
Thanks: 0
Thanked 3,206 Times in 908 Posts
Default

The production of a typical newspaper is pretty much fully automated from the time a HUGE roll of newsprint is loaded onto the spindle to being bundled in the "mailroom", then delivered to trucks for transport.

Then the carrier breaks the bundles and bags/delivers the paper.
__________________
"Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it"...Mark Twain
  #7  
Old 03-29-2020, 02:25 PM
vintageogauge vintageogauge is offline
Sage
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: village of Fenney, Ford City, Pa., and Hudson, Ohio
Posts: 3,031
Thanks: 1
Thanked 2,645 Times in 882 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by billethkid View Post
The production of a typical newspaper is pretty much fully automated from the time a HUGE roll of newsprint is loaded onto the spindle to being bundled in the "mailroom", then delivered to trucks for transport.

Then the carrier breaks the bundles and bags/delivers the paper.
But first the carrier folds them so they touch the paper, touch the bag and touch it again when they toss them on the driveway. Who knows how many of them get sneezed or coughed on while in the car. I take it out of the bag, toss it in the trash and wipe my hands. I would assume a lot of people that are cautious have cancelled their subscription.
  #8  
Old 03-29-2020, 04:37 PM
CFrance's Avatar
CFrance CFrance is offline
Sage
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Tamarind Grove/Monpazier, France
Posts: 13,961
Thanks: 370
Thanked 1,103 Times in 525 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by vintageogauge View Post
But first the carrier folds them so they touch the paper, touch the bag and touch it again when they toss them on the driveway. Who knows how many of them get sneezed or coughed on while in the car. I take it out of the bag, toss it in the trash and wipe my hands. I would assume a lot of people that are cautious have cancelled their subscription.
But is the paper folded and stuffed into the bag by machine?


Every morning my neighbor leaves a treat on her porch for my dog. I pick up her newspaper and put it close to her garage door. Hmm... Maybe I'll use a glove. I can't wash my hands till we get back home from our walk around the block.
__________________
It's harder to hate close up.
  #9  
Old 03-30-2020, 04:54 AM
Maryland04 Maryland04 is offline
Member
Join Date: Aug 2017
Posts: 32
Thanks: 0
Thanked 66 Times in 21 Posts
Default

You can subscribe online and then you only have to worry about your computer keys.
  #10  
Old 03-30-2020, 05:08 AM
robaldsc@hotmail.com robaldsc@hotmail.com is offline
Junior Member
Join Date: Mar 2020
Posts: 7
Thanks: 1
Thanked 6 Times in 4 Posts
Default Microwave the paper

I heard that microwaving for 30 seconds kills the virus. I Remove the plastic, throw it in the trash, microwave the paper for thirty seconds and wash your hands and wipe down the microwave handle.
  #11  
Old 03-30-2020, 05:22 AM
rsgolfer rsgolfer is offline
Junior Member
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 14
Thanks: 0
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Default

I throw the bag in the trash and set the paper aside on my bench in the garage. Sanitize my hands and then pick up yesterday’s paper. I do the same thing with our mail and groceries that don’t require refrigeration. If anyone knows of a setter and safer way, I want to hear it. Maybe I’m being overly cautious, but two people in my family (younger & different area) have contracted Covid-19 and the symptoms are brutal.
  #12  
Old 03-30-2020, 05:49 AM
skip0358's Avatar
skip0358 skip0358 is offline
Soaring Eagle member
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 2,288
Thanks: 80
Thanked 316 Times in 105 Posts
Default Your

Your worried about your Newspaper, how many different people touch the mail you pick up everyday, how many different people touch what you buy at the Supermarket every time you try and buy something or the fruit & vegetables where does it stop. Wash your hands and keep your fingers & hands to yourself IF your that worried. How few are staying home or IF you go out keep the suggested spacing.
__________________
Patchogue, NY; Village of Bonita Sept.09
  #13  
Old 03-30-2020, 06:32 AM
Cheapbas Cheapbas is offline
Senior Member
Join Date: Dec 2019
Posts: 138
Thanks: 7
Thanked 205 Times in 76 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by skip0358 View Post
Your worried about your Newspaper, how many different people touch the mail you pick up everyday, how many different people touch what you buy at the Supermarket every time you try and buy something or the fruit & vegetables where does it stop. Wash your hands and keep your fingers & hands to yourself IF your that worried. How few are staying home or IF you go out keep the suggested spacing.
Just thinking that with all the junk mail in my box.
  #14  
Old 03-30-2020, 06:38 AM
Michael Charles
Guest
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by CFrance View Post
But is the paper folded and stuffed into the bag by machin?
Not when I used to work at The Daily Sun.

The printing is very automated but the inserts are all "built" assembled by hand. Each worker adds one insert then another then stuffs the paper with them. Now, the inserts (flyers) are almost non-existent because of businesses are closing but all are done by hand. The people working the printing presses do wear gloves but they we're working with ink. I'm assuming the workers "building" the inserts are now wearing gloves because of all the possibilities of contamination

Putting your paper into bags was done by by the delivery person out in the parking lot in their personal vehicles. Like someone mentioned, the papers are then in their cars, they are breathing, possibly coughing or sneezing and that will possibly contaminate the plastic bag.

We've decided to put our paper on hold for a month.

Stay safe and think of others.
  #15  
Old 03-30-2020, 07:26 AM
CFrance's Avatar
CFrance CFrance is offline
Sage
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Tamarind Grove/Monpazier, France
Posts: 13,961
Thanks: 370
Thanked 1,103 Times in 525 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Charles View Post
Not when I used to work at The Daily Sun.

The printing is very automated but the inserts are all "built" assembled by hand. Each worker adds one insert then another then stuffs the paper with them. Now, the inserts (flyers) are almost non-existent because of businesses are closing but all are done by hand. The people working the printing presses do wear gloves but they we're working with ink. I'm assuming the workers "building" the inserts are now wearing gloves because of all the possibilities of contamination

Putting your paper into bags was done by by the delivery person out in the parking lot in their personal vehicles. Like someone mentioned, the papers are then in their cars, they are breathing, possibly coughing or sneezing and that will possibly contaminate the plastic bag.

We've decided to put our paper on hold for a month.

Stay safe and think of others.
Good to know. Thanks for the information.
__________________
It's harder to hate close up.
Closed Thread

Tags
newspaper, handle, people, touch, sterilize

Thread Tools

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:00 PM.