Can I put my Villages ID on my phone?

Closed Thread
Old 01-26-2019, 08:53 AM

If it is not secure, why do airlines issue e tickets and digital boarding passes?
Old 01-26-2019, 08:59 AM
Sage
Thanked 13,708 Times in 5,240 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bambi View Post
If it is not secure, why do airlines issue e tickets and digital boarding passes?
Two entirely different situations. The airports require a drivers license or passport before you board. Also, their is usually a seat already assigned and paid for before you board the plane. And, you have already gone through a security checkpoint before you even get to the boarding gate.

Last edited by retiredguy123; 01-26-2019 at 09:04 AM.
Old 01-26-2019, 10:10 AM
Sage
Thanked 9,071 Times in 2,743 Posts

I am old school, I prefer to cary my ID and leave my phone home. I don't think it is a good thing how people are constantly teathered to their phones. We all got by just fine for a large portion of our life's before smart phones took over society. I check my messages a couple times a day, but not constantly, and that is more than enough for me.
Old 01-26-2019, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mortal1 View Post
I'd be great if you could.

As to posting off topic...you didn't. It's a general discussion. I love the idea.
I asked this question in my should I change my door locks post and it got moved to a new topic post by the powers that be...
Old 01-26-2019, 10:25 AM
Platinum member

I don't think The Villages is very tech savvy in general. They don't offer free guest Wi-Fi in any rec center or restaurant. You can't apply for a guest ID online (You have to go and fill out a paper application.) Their temporary Villages ID application is paper and pencil. TOTV is only really decent on the Tapatalk app of you only access it on a mobile... there are many examples of how TV is not really digital friendly. I am fairly certain that within 10 years that will change based on the population demands/requests by Villagers themselves...

Sent from my SM-N920R4 using Tapatalk
Old 01-26-2019, 10:30 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,254 Times in 425 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Two Bills View Post
I don't know why they don't just micro chip people, same way they do our pets.
Carry nothing, no id's, passports, credit cards, money, the list is endless.
Bleep! Your in!
Oh come on. You're not serious.
Old 01-26-2019, 10:31 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,039 Times in 373 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tophcfa View Post
I am old school, I prefer to cary my ID and leave my phone home. I don't think it is a good thing how people are constantly teathered to their phones. We all got by just fine for a large portion of our life's before smart phones took over society. I check my messages a couple times a day, but not constantly, and that is more than enough for me.
I'm 100% with you on this .... my phone is as private as I can make it, only a very few people have the number and if I don't recognize the caller I don't answer. I have a land line and an answer machine and screen my calls that way.

I use the phone in many other ways, not necessarily to take calls unless it is an emergency.

Law of Logical Argument: Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about!

Since light travels faster than sound, some people appear bright until you hear them speak
Old 01-26-2019, 10:37 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bambi View Post
There is only one place you can use it. And if you give a copy to someone else your seat on that plane will be gone if you don't get to the gate before them.

A picture of a Villager ID card can be used anywhere, it can even be used by some else who goes to the same rec center as you do.

Villager ID cards can be reused but digital boarding passes cannot.
Old 01-26-2019, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tophcfa View Post
We all got along just fine before... fire, pots and pans, fast food, cars it doesn't mean you shouldn't take advantage of technological advances when they occur. It's a personal choice.
Old 01-26-2019, 10:43 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fraugoofy View Post
I don't think The Villages is very tech savvy in general. They don't offer free guest Wi-Fi in any rec center or restaurant. You can't apply for a guest ID online (You have to go and fill out a paper application.) Their temporary Villages ID application is paper and pencil. TOTV is only really decent on the Tapatalk app of you only access it on a mobile... there are many examples of how TV is not really digital friendly. I am fairly certain that within 10 years that will change based on the population demands/requests by Villagers themselves...

Sent from my SM-N920R4 using Tapatalk
I’ve used WiFi in a few rec centers. You do need your resident number. I’ve also applied for guest IDs online and had them waiting when I showed up to get them. This is helpful as you can pick them up anytime the rec center is open.

So slowly things are a changing.
Old 01-26-2019, 12:32 PM
Sage
Thanked 7,371 Times in 2,517 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by New Englander View Post
Oh come on. You're not serious.
No, not serious. But!
I bet in the not to distant future it will happen, probably from birth. Its a natural progression.
Our generation has gone from pictures of wanted people on posters, and fingerprints, to facial recognition cameras, ID confirmation from your eyes, DNA etc. etc.
Who knows where it will end?

But they still can't cure the common cold!
Old 01-26-2019, 05:42 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,317 Times in 871 Posts

I remember, and not too many years ago, when I would admonish my kids and grand kids about having their heads buried in the their phones. Now I look around here, on the golf course, at dinner, in the movies etc. and my generation has their heads in their phones. They drive on the phone, they walk on the phone and they hurt themselves while on the phone. Now when my kids and grand kids visit they fit in. Who's behind the curve, The Villages. Their computer systems need help so using a smart phone to log in anywhere is wayyyyy down the road.

Berks County Pennsylvania
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.