Can I put a shed in my CYV back yard?

Closed Thread
Old 07-12-2020, 08:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianherlihy View Post
hi i have a court villa. and i would like to put a shed in my back yard
We tried & Villages said no so we put a shed in our lani & it is great. Call the Villages Deed Compliance, good luck.
Old 07-12-2020, 09:19 AM

I know some sheds require a foundation. If youre thinking about a small Rubbermaid one, I can't see the problem, but would check before spending the money, especially if you have to put a foundation.
Old 07-12-2020, 09:20 AM

My suggestion is to get the true answer by calling the Villages offices and not rely on what others say. This is a technical issue you’re dealing with.
Old 07-12-2020, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianherlihy View Post
hi i have a court villa. and i would like to put a shed in my back yard
The answer to your question depends on which district/village your courtyard villa is located. Each and every district has its own distinct set of deed restrictions so unless you provide your location everyone responding to you is guessing. I will state that in the majority of the districts free-standing sheds are prohibited. I happen to live in District 10 and the deed restrictions here are very clear:
Article V Section 8 states...."No outbuilding, tent, shack, garage, trailer, shed, utility building or temporary building of any kind shall be erected, except temporarily only for construction purposes." I think the answer in this case would be absolutely NOT!

The responses to your question by some others on this forum are all over the board from an absolute Yes to "deed restriction effectively will not matter unless someone complains". I certainly would not spend the time and effort to buy and install a shed only to be told that it must be removed. Do the smart thing and read your deed restrictions or call Community Standards if you do not have a copy. They will guide you through the process. Even if sheds are allowed on your particular property you must still submit an application to the Architectural Review Committee for approval. Be aware that your property has certain easements along the front, side and rear lot lines where you are not allowed to place any type of structure. Many of these areas are drainage and utility easements and installing a shed could possibly cause problems down the road for you are your neighbor. Abide by the deed restrictions and stay safe.
Old 07-12-2020, 12:10 PM
Sage
Thanked 6,144 Times in 2,245 Posts

JCMSr, well said.
Old 07-12-2020, 04:36 PM
Platinum member
Thanked 2,346 Times in 734 Posts

Common sense is a super power in 2020.

Yes effectively in this case where you can't see a shed deed restrictions do not matter

Is the SWAT team going to execute a search warrant because a drone picked up your below the fence shed, no.

So can you put up a below the fence shed at a CYV almost certainly without being 'caught', will it blow away, almost certainly no.

Let's discuss something that is less of a hot button but quite similar, garbage cans outside your house. Against the deed restrictions in most areas. I know of two in Pinellas. One has his cans next to his home where they are visible from the street. Another is my buddies, he has a landscape wall for a grill. He uses it for his garbage can. Because of the orientation of his home you can't see it. Is anyone going to lodge a complaint for it no.

Last edited by Toymeister; 07-12-2020 at 05:13 PM.
Old 07-14-2020, 02:07 AM

In our district, we can have a shed, BUT it HAS to be attached to the house.
Old 07-15-2020, 01:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toymeister View Post
Common sense is a super power in 2020.

Yes effectively in this case where you can't see a shed deed restrictions do not matter
This attitude towards deed restrictions is what gets many people in trouble. Deed restrictions are not just about paint colors, types of grass or yard ornaments. Quite often the restrictions are put in place to control access to easements or drainage issues. Many properties have limited space between homes with shared drainage swales. Even minor changes which change to flow of water can affect you and your neighbor.

Many people seem to have the attitude that "it's my property and I can do whatever I want with it". These are also the first ones to complain when they are notified of a violation and even then all they can complain about is the unfairness of the anonymous complaint system. The deed restrictions are designed to protect property values for everyone. Everyone has taste....some good, some bad. Learn to live with the rules you agreed to when you signed your deed. The attitude that if you cannot see something it is certainly OK to do it is absurd! Hopefully most Villagers will realize this and read the deed restrictions before making such off the wall assertions please.
Old 07-15-2020, 02:16 PM
Gold member
Thanked 1,775 Times in 514 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCMSr View Post
Many people seem to have the attitude that "it's my property and I can do whatever I want with it". These are also the first ones to complain when they are notified of a violation and even then all they can complain about is the unfairness of the anonymous complaint system. The deed restrictions are designed to protect property values for everyone. Everyone has taste....some good, some bad. Learn to live with the rules you agreed to when you signed your deed. The attitude that if you cannot see something it is certainly OK to do it is absurd! Hopefully most Villagers will realize this and read the deed restrictions before making such off the wall assertions please.
Most responsible comment so far. Thank you.
Old 07-16-2020, 10:01 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,900 Times in 2,442 Posts

Quote:
This attitude towards deed restrictions is what gets many people in trouble. Deed restrictions are not just about paint colors, types of grass or yard ornaments. Quite often the restrictions are put in place to control access to easements or drainage issues. Many properties have limited space between homes with shared drainage swales. Even minor changes which change to flow of water can affect you and your neighbor.

CYVs have concrete walls separation in back and drain in backyards with easements off the wall. Very few properties after years are in Total compliance Due to several owners have induced something. IMO before any house is sold in deed restricted community a compliance inspect should be done so the new owners not stuck with out of compliance discrepancies previous owners have done.
Old 07-16-2020, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topspinmo View Post
CYVs have concrete walls separation in back and drain in backyards with easements off the wall. Very few properties after years are in Total compliance Due to several owners have induced something. IMO before any house is sold in deed restricted community a compliance inspect should be done so the new owners not stuck with out of compliance discrepancies previous owners have done.
I agree with your comments however who do you think should be responsible for the cost of this additional inspection (obviously it would not be free)? Buyers could make this a condition of the purchase agreement but if the Seller chooses not to accept such conditions the agreement would be void. Most agents actually are working for the Seller and are not obligated to promote such conditions on behalf of the Buyers. Buyers frequently purchase real estate without obtaining surveys and without conducting a professional property inspections. How many do you think would be willing to add an additional expense to their closing costs? Plus, who would be responsible for bringing the property into compliance if violations are reported?

I have seen many applications submitted to the ARC wherein the property owner states that the conditions were "existing when we bought the property". Unfortunately if it is a rules violation it does not matter when the work was done, who authorized it or how long it has been there.
Old 07-17-2020, 03:54 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,900 Times in 2,442 Posts

Quote:
I agree with your comments however who do you think should be responsible for the cost of this additional inspection (obviously it would not be free)? Buyers could make this a condition of the purchase agreement but if the Seller chooses not to accept such conditions the agreement would be void. Most agents actually are working for the Seller and are not obligated to promote such conditions on behalf of the Buyers. Buyers frequently purchase real estate without obtaining surveys and without conducting a professional property inspections. How many do you think would be willing to add an additional expense to their closing costs? Plus, who would be responsible for bringing the property into compliance if violations are reported?

I have seen many applications submitted to the ARC wherein the property owner states that the conditions were "existing when we bought the property". Unfortunately if it is a rules violation it does not matter when the work was done, who authorized it or how long it has been there.
Same people that approve or disapprove rule violations. They want rules Enforced then they need to insure when properties change hand no violation exist, not 2 months or 15 years after someone brought property and some one complains. All changes should be documented with application approval’s.
Old 08-14-2020, 10:54 AM

If it can’t be seen from your gate there is nothing community standards can do about, they can’t enforce what they can’t see.
Old 08-14-2020, 01:41 PM
Sage
Thanked 14,036 Times in 5,328 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kerry Azz View Post
If it can’t be seen from your gate there is nothing community standards can do about, they can’t enforce what they can’t see.
Until you get into an argument with a neighbor who turns you in.
Old 08-14-2020, 01:53 PM
Platinum member
Thanked 2,346 Times in 734 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kerry Azz View Post
Watch out with that superpower, common sense; someone is surely going to post about your 'bad additude'!!
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.