Bought Sight Seen, Shopping for Furniture, & Other Stuff Newbies Do

Closed Thread
Old 11-05-2007, 12:56 PM
Sage
Default Bought Sight Seen, Shopping for Furniture, & Other Stuff Newbies Do

As those of you know who've bought a villa/house new (and empty); or a resale unfurnished; the first two weeks in residence pass by in a blur of activity. :dontknow:

We arrived from Canada two weeks ago, having taken the route suggested to us in another post (77/79). We followed the directions a poster gave us and the trip took 26 hours which we did in two days. It was a great trip down, the dogs are fabulous travellers and we were looking forward to seeing our Villa for the first time!!

We intended to shop during the day, and play at night. Well, not a heck of a lot of playing goes on when you're so exhausted all you have the energy for is to make up new "to do" lists. We've spent most of our time shopping and running errands to the point of exhaustion. Every day we visit golf cart stores, garage sales, furniture stores, Walmart, the Bank, Circuit City, grocery store, the Villages Offices to get passes, post office keys, and my personal favourite, the Consignment stores. You gotta be there when the truck unloads (twice daily) to get the good stuff, as it sells within hours (if not minutes). We spent three whole days doing nothing but golf cart shopping, testing and comparisons. But last night we took our new Par Car to Happy Hour at LSL, about a 20 minute drive, and did we ever feel like "real' Villagers. What a great feeling!!! :bigthumbsup:

A few people have asked me to report on buying sight unseen!! We were quite excited and apprehensive during our drive from Canada, not knowing exactly what to expect. Not only did we buy sight unseen, but I had a construction company remove part of a wall in the kitchen before we even saw the house (and painters come in to paint the entire Villa). I got estimates via phone from Canada from painters and constructions companies, (left a key under the front door mat), and just trusted in the Divine Goddess that everything would turn out perfect. And it did. The construction company was wonderful, and the painter was not only fabulous but his wife actually drove to the Villa with the three paint colours I suggested and picked the one she felt would best match the carpet. Now that is service!!! Southern Lifestyles delivered a king size bed and set it up in the bedroom the day before we were due to arrive, it was in place waiting for us!

I am happy to say we love our new Courtyard Villa, and better still, Biggins and Brutus love it too. We back on a little bit of Churchill Downs Golf Course (no water because I have a gator phobia). The first night we arrived, we sat out on our lanai, having a drink with the limes from our back yard lime tree .. priceless!! ;D We are in Belvedere Village and we love the location, close to Southern Trace and Publix and the library and the new Walmart. I think everyone in TV treasures their own neighbourhood and thinks it's the best place to live. When we drive around to garage sales in different neighbourhoods, I am constantly impressed and amazed at how beautiful every single area of TV is.

Here are two examples of what a great site TOTV is (not that you need them, I bet you're addicted just like me). I've met my next door neighbour, Kate, through TOTV, but not in person yet! She is arriving for ten days in November and I am really looking forward to finally meeting her. In a population of over 60,000, it is pretty amazing to meet your neighbour through this site.

I was driving along in our golf cart and I heard someone calling my name (which is odd, because I don't know anyone yet). I stopped the Cart and a woman came running over and introduced herself .. it was Happy Villager. She said she recognized us from our posts.

So I want to say once again, how happy I am to be a Villager and how much I love TOTV. I feel like I already know so many of you "personally", yet we've never met. I've had a lot of PMs from people chatting with me about stuff or asking questions or giving me great information. Thank you all.

Old 11-05-2007, 01:40 PM
Default Re: Bought Sight Seen, Shopping for Furniture, & Other Stuff Newbies Do

Loved your post. We, too, are getting settled in our courtyard villa --- our first time to be here in our OWN place. I agree, it's all fun and a great place to be!
Old 11-05-2007, 01:48 PM

GREAT story and congrats on being so BRAVE and "gutsy". Sometimes we just have to step out of our "comfort zone" and REACH OUT!!!

We too bought our Ranch Home sight unseen. We made a good decision. Actually we have it for sale now and have to move back to Michigan to care for 4 aged and ailing parents...who refuse to leave their houses...but just wanted to say, you're really pretty safe buying "sight unseen" down here in TV.

CONGRATS Again...and ENJOY.

Old 11-05-2007, 02:03 PM
Gold member

Hi Barefoot,

Welcome to TV. We are in the process of buying a home in Belvedere also. Closing date is unknown.

Enjoyed reading your post and have sent it to my hubby.

Glad your trip down was easy. We have a Nexus pass - does your husband use one?

Can you please let us know which consignment shops you went to and what time the trucks unload the merchandise. The house we hope to purchase will be empty.

How were the garage sales you went to? Did you find one area better than another?

Looking forward to your response.

Hyacinth Bucket
Old 11-05-2007, 02:42 PM

BAL.. GLAD EVERYTHING IS WORKING OUT FOR YOU GUYS. WE HAVE BEEN DOWN FOR 3 WEEKS NOW IN OUR NEW COURTYARD VILLA AND WE LOVE IT. THE ONLY PROBLEM IS THERE IS NOT ENOUGH TIME IN THE DAY TO GET EVERYTHING DONE. THERE IS A TON OF STUFF WE HAVE NOT HAD TIME TO DO YET AND CAN'T WAIT TO DO THEM. CONGRATS TO YOU GUYS AND HOPEFULLY WE WILL SEE YOU AROUND. KAR GUY
Old 11-05-2007, 02:54 PM
Gold member

Hey, barefoot,

So glad to her you are getting settled, crazy and exhausting but I"m betting a lot of full as well.

We are in the throws of packing. The truck leaves NH the 14th and we will be on our way also.
Can't come soon enough , flurries predicted for the week-end.

Please, more info on the consignment shops, I love a bargin.

Can't wait to meet you and plan our "singles" party.
Cheers
Old 11-05-2007, 04:22 PM

Hi Barefoot

Wecome to the villages. I can so relate to everything that you wrote. I have been busy with many of the same things and still have the golf cart thing to do when my husband arrives Wednesday evening. I am so glad you enjoyed your first golf cart trip. It is that kind of thing that makes it all worth while. looking forward to meeting you.

Nancy
Old 11-05-2007, 04:24 PM
Sage

My wife makes a weekly visit to the local (in SF Bay Area) St Vincent DePaul and Goodwill and half our furniture are things she has bought for $20 or so and repaired/refinished.

She has made extensive tours of the local TV area consignments stores. She bought a glass dining table and matching chairs and states that the used furniture prices being asked around TV are ridiculously high.
Da Chicago So Side; The Village of Park Forest, IL; 3/7 Cav, 3rd Inf Div, Schweinfurt, Ger 65-66; MACV J12 Saigon 66-67; San Leandro, Hayward & Union City, CA (San Francisco East Bay Area) GO DUBS ! (aka W's)
Old 11-06-2007, 04:41 AM
Sage

Thanks for all the good wishes. ;D ;D Just want to add that I'm not recommending buying sight unseen, I realize that it's not for everyone! I was a real estate broker for many years so perhaps I feel more comfortable with the process. A few years ago I had an extremely serious illness, it just made me realize how short life is and how we have to truly live in the moment and not assume we will all live forever.

To answer a question, my favourite consignment shop is Bargains and Treasures. They are located South of 466 just East of 301. (I can give you more specific directions and telephone number in another post, they are buried somewhere). The trucks pick up furniture from 13 houses per day and take it back to the store. The time they unload the trucks depends on which neighbourhoods they visited and how far they had to drive. Also how much furniture per house. Some days they make a lot of trips, some days just a couple. Some days they unload some new stuff around noon or 1 PM, some days it is later in the afternoon. This is what makes it so tricky and time consuming. They have really good stuff, and very well priced. Often furniture that was originally purchased from Southern Lifestyles that is in terrific condition. We are extremely happy with the bargains and treasures we got! On several occasions, we bought furniture that had only been in the shop for a few minutes. The good stuff just flies out the door immediately.

Hyacinth, where in Belvedere are you going to be living? Perhaps we'll be neighbours!
JKP, sorry to hear you're leaving TV, I bet you'll be back again some time!

Beady, Bogart, Kar Guy, Mom2Five, please send me a PM when you get settled and perhaps we can meet up! Good luck with all your plans.
Old 11-08-2007, 01:34 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Good info here, we too bought a lot of stuff at B & T, have you been to Ayres on 441 they have a lot of good stuff too. Hopefully we catch up with you in December, by the way what color is that golf cart in case I see you on the street ( not literally ). Have you personalized it yet? How long is Mr Wallethead sticking around for?? ENJOY!!!
Old 11-08-2007, 12:08 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfnut
Good info here, we too bought a lot of stuff at B & T, have you been to Ayres on 441 they have a lot of good stuff too. Hopefully we catch up with you in December, by the way what color is that golf cart in case I see you on the street ( not literally ). Have you personalized it yet? How long is Mr Wallethead sticking around for?? ENJOY!!!
Mr. Wallethead/aka Rick/aka Fireboy/ is leaving today to go back to Toronto to fight fires!
I'm driving him to the Spanish Springs airport bus this morning; so we'll see how that works out. I couldn't face the Orlando Airport traffic as I'm not the world's best driver! Fireboy is due back in TV in two weeks and will be staying for a month. I plan to spend the entire two weeks he is gone sleeping, to recover from my 17 day shopping marathon.

I tried Ayres on 441 for used furniture; but I keep going back to Bargains and Treasures cuz it's just around the corner for my daily two or three visits (to see if new truckloads have been unloaded). One of the truck guys has even invited Fireboy to go fishing with him; that is how much time we spend there!! But we've pretty much got our whole Villa furnished now. We've even taken some 'mistakes' back to them for reconsignment! :joke:

My golf cart was a boring champagne colour so I got it decorated with shiny reflective stuff that changes colour when the sun (or car lights) hits it. One second it is red or silver, the next green or blue, nifty! I have been practicing driving in the Village of Belvedere so residents, you may wish to stay off the streets if you see something shiny coming. ;D

Golfnut, see you in December!
Old 11-08-2007, 03:33 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Was the entire cart covered in the shiny reflective stuff or is it just some type of decorative shapes??
Old 11-08-2007, 05:52 PM
Sage

$65.00 for the entire cart. Done by Dee, she comes to the house with design books one day and then comes back the next day with the finished product and puts it on. Easy peasy. I have swirly shapes on the side. Some swirls on the front plus a couple of palm trees plus names "Rick" and "Barefoot". Looks great when the sun shines on it, changes colours, cool. Not so cool on a dark day .. just looks silver then. I just wanted something to make it less boring. :bigthumbsup:
Old 11-08-2007, 06:08 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Sounds cool can't wait to see it.
Old 11-08-2007, 07:21 PM
Gold member

Hi Barefoot,

Can you post a picture of the golf cart - that is taken on a sunny day.

I thought today was your day for zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Have fun.

Hyacinth Bucket
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.