Can we have cars licensed in Florida and our home states?

Closed Thread
Old 01-24-2021, 03:52 PM
Default Can we have cars licensed in Florida and our home states?

As the title says, can you have cars licensed in Florida and you home state? I am finding conflicting information on line.

Ray
Old 01-24-2021, 04:03 PM
Sage
Thanked 14,045 Times in 5,336 Posts

I doubt it, would think you would need to have two sets of license plates
Old 01-24-2021, 04:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by STLRAY View Post
As the title says, can you have cars licensed in Florida and you home state? I am finding conflicting information on line.

Ray
Cars can (and should) be licensed in the state they are kept in the majority of time.
Old 01-24-2021, 04:13 PM

No. If you have homes in two states, one is primary residence.
Old 01-24-2021, 04:15 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,511 Times in 3,104 Posts

I'm assuming you meant "registered" and not "licensed," since cars don't get licenses. They get registrations. You, the driver, get licensed.

The term "license plate" is erroneous; the correct term is "registration plate."

And no, you can't have a car registered in more than one state at a time. You also can't have insurance from one state, and registration in another state.

You CAN have a drivers' license for one state, and drive a car registered in a different state.
Old 01-24-2021, 04:20 PM
Gold member

Call your auto insurance carrier and ask them. My guess is that they will only issue insurance when car is licensed in the state of your primary residence.
Old 01-24-2021, 04:22 PM

I need to clarify. I plan to keep cars in Florida and at my home in St. Louis. Should the registration be the same as my drivers license, or should they be registered in the state where they are located?
Old 01-24-2021, 04:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeBlossomBaby View Post
I'm assuming you meant "registered" and not "licensed," since cars don't get licenses. They get registrations. You, the driver, get licensed.

The term "license plate" is erroneous; the correct term is "registration plate."

And no, you can't have a car registered in more than one state at a time. You also can't have insurance from one state, and registration in another state.

You CAN have a drivers' license for one state, and drive a car registered in a different state.
Re: the bolded portion above - Yes, you CAN insure and register in different states. As an example, when my kids were in college, they took a vehicle registered in NJ in my name, to school (first in PA, then in WV) back to school with them. In both cases, working with my USAA agent, we figured out it was cheaper to insure them in those states versus NJ. Since one of the standard insurance questions is usually something like "Where will the vehicle be garaged?", it made sense to do it that way. Made it a bit of a pain to make sure kids brought the car home for inspections when needed, etc., but in the long run it saved a bundle!!
Old 01-24-2021, 04:47 PM
Sage
Location: village of Fenney, Ford City, Pa., and Hudson, Ohio
Thanked 4,339 Times in 1,447 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeBlossomBaby View Post

The correct name in Florida is License Plates not Registration Plates, this is according the The Florida Department of Motor Vehicles and Safetly. Registration plates is an erroneous term here in Florida.
Old 01-24-2021, 05:46 PM
Veteran member

Yes you can register your car in Florida even with an out of state license.
Old 01-24-2021, 05:59 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,178 Times in 834 Posts

It's almost like people don't read what the OP said. Yes you can register one car in Florida, the one you keep here, and one car in Missouri, the one you keep there. In fact that is what you are supposed to do.
Old 01-24-2021, 07:08 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 2,606 Times in 943 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by STLRAY View Post
I need to clarify. I plan to keep cars in Florida and at my home in St. Louis. Should the registration be the same as my drivers license, or should they be registered in the state where they are located?
Up to you...call your insurer and ask.
Old 01-24-2021, 07:17 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,924 Times in 2,450 Posts

Beings you own two houses in different state I would figure which state is cheaper and claim that state as resident. Northern (east) do it all the time, gets them out of paying the high taxes
Old 01-24-2021, 07:50 PM
Veteran member

OP is talking about keeping one car in one state and another car in another state. Yes, you can do it. We did it when we were snowbirds. We had to get two separate insurance policies because our primary residence was PA and ins. co. up there didn't cover FL. Cost the same as having both cars in PA, though.

kathy
Old 01-24-2021, 08:01 PM
Sage
Thanked 13,710 Times in 5,240 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueash View Post
It's almost like people don't read what the OP said. Yes you can register one car in Florida, the one you keep here, and one car in Missouri, the one you keep there. In fact that is what you are supposed to do.
Yes, you can, but you need insurance policies in both states. If you register a car in Florida, it must have Florida insurance. In Florida, any car that you use more than 90 days in the state (non-consecutive) during the year must be insured in Florida. Many snowbirds are not in compliance with this law.
Closed Thread

Tags
cars, licensed, florida, home, line

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.