Can / Will Local Law Enforcement Officers Arrest Us

Closed Thread
Old 04-02-2020, 02:30 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mosells View Post
They are letting convicts out of jail due to corv-19. I don’t think they will put you in jail for not following what is no more than a suggestion to stay home.
Ummm ... it’s not a suggestion. As of midnight tonight it is an order mandated by the governor.
Old 04-02-2020, 02:36 PM
Sage
Location: South of 466a, if you don't like me.......I live in Orlando.
Thanked 9,753 Times in 3,629 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mosells View Post
They are letting convicts out of jail due to corv-19. I don’t think they will put you in jail for not following what is no more than a suggestion to stay home.

Explains a lot.
Old 04-02-2020, 02:48 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,995 Times in 1,728 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiverpoolWalrus View Post
I'm sure a lot of people will repeat this on this thread (even though here it is already)...the danger is you could get infected by being exposed to someone who doesn't know he/she is positive. Then even if you remain asymptomatic, you could theoretically pass it on to other people.

Granted the chances of either scenario happening are small, but they are there. And people are petrified by these odds whether warranted or not. Such is human nature.

On another note, hey OP, are you a fan of Jackson Browne? Count me among them big time.
Not “small” I just read a new study from Iceland where wide spread testing was conducted shows 50% of people testing positive were asymptomatic and shedding.

CNN
Some of the revelations have been stark. Although fewer than 1% of the tests came back positive for the virus, the company's founder Dr. Kári Stefánsson told CNN that around 50% of those who tested positive said they were asymptomatic, confirming multiple studies that show that asymptomatic, or mildly symptomatic, people have played an important role in spreading the virus.
Old 04-02-2020, 04:10 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Velvet View Post
Not “small” I just read a new study from Iceland where wide spread testing was conducted shows 50% of people testing positive were asymptomatic and shedding.

CNN
Some of the revelations have been stark. Although fewer than 1% of the tests came back positive for the virus, the company's founder Dr. Kári Stefánsson told CNN that around 50% of those who tested positive said they were asymptomatic, confirming multiple studies that show that asymptomatic, or mildly symptomatic, people have played an important role in spreading the virus.
Thanks for that, Velvet. Yes it’s unsettling to know asymptomatic people can infect, and have infected, other people. So social isolation is indeed a good thing. But what’s still unknown is the likelihood of passing it on while asymptomatic.

I’ve seen some references (hoping they’re true because I’ve seen a number of them) that suggest the odds are small, and it’s much more likely that symptomatic people spread the virus. Knowing 50% of positive Icelanders are asymptomatic doesn’t reveal much about degree of contagiousness. I’d like to know more about their habits. Were they rarely around other people? Did they go to bars, concerts and sporting events? That sort of thing. I’m sure the Icelandic Health Department asked those questions on intake, but unfortunately investigative journalism has gone the way of poodle skirts, and today’s reporters are either unaware that high standards require digging deeper, or they are discouraged by their outlets from releasing anything that softens the message (my opinion, B).

Nonetheless, 50% is a very sobering number. It certainly underscores the need to step up testing dramatically. And it’s why the OP is being advised that infection by unwitting asymptomatic people is theoretically possible.
Old 04-02-2020, 05:16 PM
Sage
Location: Summer at the Jersey Shore, Fall in New England [Maine], Winter in TV!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DianeM View Post
Ummm ... it’s not a suggestion. As of midnight tonight it is an order mandated by the governor.
I have read the Gov's advisory - can you provide a copy of or a citation for that changing to a Gov's order? Thanks.

Old 04-02-2020, 05:18 PM
Sage
Location: Summer at the Jersey Shore, Fall in New England [Maine], Winter in TV!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacksonbrown View Post
For violation of the state and/or county Stay-at-Home Advisory?
Why did you ask that here rather than your local law enforcement office? If ya do - let us know what you are told.

Old 04-02-2020, 05:23 PM
Gold member

YES, you will be arrested, you should be arrested and you should be stuck in a small room with positive virus carriers. Don't be an idiot, do what you're told. Your life will not end just because you stay in your house for 30 days, it might even help this end quicker. Sorry to be so harsh, but it's getting really unsettling to read about how many people here can't or won't be smart. Last thing any of us want is yo see YOUR name in the obits.

"I wish I didn't know now, what I didn't know then"
-Bob Seger-
Old 04-02-2020, 05:23 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by njbchbum View Post
I have read the Gov's advisory - can you provide a copy of or a citation for that changing to a Gov's order? Thanks.
Here is the order.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf EO_20-91.pdf (8.62 MB, 1414 views)
Old 04-02-2020, 05:29 PM
Gold member
Thanked 1,668 Times in 529 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kahuna32162 View Post
YES, you will be arrested, you should be arrested and you should be stuck in a small room with positive virus carriers.
Judge, Jury and executioner.
Nice!
Steve
Old 04-02-2020, 06:12 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,578 Times in 1,323 Posts

Quote:
YES, you will be arrested, you should be arrested and you should be stuck in a small room with positive virus carriers. Don't be an idiot, do what you're told. Your life will not end just because you stay in your house for 30 days, it might even help this end quicker. Sorry to be so harsh, but it's getting really unsettling to read about how many people here can't or won't be smart. Last thing any of us want is yo see YOUR name in the obits.
I get the panic, but to tell people they will live if They never leave their house, for 30 days, is not a guarantee..

In the next 30 days, you could slip and fall in the shower, brain bleed, have a massive Coronary, fall fracture your hip and can’t call any one, have a stroke, or a dissecting AAA. Or just go peacefully in your sleep.
If it’s your time, you do not get a vote.

Obits are in the paper everyday, so far none in TV list virus. They even come in conveniently in alphabetical order
Old 04-02-2020, 06:22 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,880 Times in 2,426 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacksonbrown View Post
For violation of the state and/or county Stay-at-Home Advisory?
Yes, they can legally arrest you for anything, you have The right to get lawyer and prove you’re innocent’s.
Old 04-02-2020, 06:24 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,880 Times in 2,426 Posts

Quote:
And it might not, so far it hasn’t. Cause there always rule breakers.
Old 04-02-2020, 07:16 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,562 Times in 508 Posts

Why would they arrest someone? About the only time they arrest anyone now is if they are DUI, have a DUI wreck or if they assault anyone.

It's time for Sheriff Farmer to go and get a Sheriff in office that's more proactive in enforcing laws and not acting like Sheriff Andy Taylor of Mayberry.
Old 04-02-2020, 08:29 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,417 Times in 2,267 Posts

Be thankful we're not in the Philippines..

"Shoot them dead": Duterte orders police to kill Filipinos who defy coronavirus lockdown

But Duterte's threat may be the boldest. "I will not hesitate my soldiers to shoot you," Duterte said in forceful tones Wednesday. "I will not hesitate to order the police to arrest and detain you. Now, if you are detained, I will leave it up to you to find food."

We've Got Plenty Of Youth.. What We Need Is a Fountain Of SMART!
Old 04-02-2020, 08:49 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,094 Times in 1,336 Posts

Sorry, I misread your comment but will leave the other info anyway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by njbchbum View Post
It probably goes under a "general" law of some sort but here is how one local TV station explained it:

RELATED: What Florida's 'stay at home' order means for residents
"Law enforcement will try to ask each person what they're doing there and if it's going to shopping or somewhere, they will work with that person to try to make sure they comply with the order without first arresting them or charging them," he said.
Aronberg said the orders are enforceable by 60 days in the county jail, because it's a second-degree misdemeanor.
"Yes, we have the power to make an arrest and to charge people with a crime for violating it, but we'd rather not get to there," he said. "We'd rather people voluntarily comply with it and that way it's neighbor watching over neighbor and making sure this is the safest our community can be."

How will Florida'''s '''stay at home''' order be enforced?
Closed Thread

Tags
violation, stay-at-home, county, and/or, state

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.