Can you help? Cable alternative

Closed Thread
Old 05-19-2019, 12:38 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,302 Times in 865 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by billethkid View Post
We pay Comcast/Xfinity $170 per month for blast internet and more channels than we need.
Back out the internet as I think Comcast is among if not the best.
That leaves television at $110 per month.
I have tried Apple TV, Netflix, Amazon and Plex streaming.
For me, just too much ala carte hunting and pecking. And the bigger issue of recording. We record everything we watch.

Until the dust settles on streaming standards, pricing, recording capability, etc..... I elect to continue paying around $50 more per month for the current convenience.

Current streaming pricing will continue to increase as people demand more conveniences (like current cable/satellites).

For now we will wait and continue to enjoy what we have.
I agree, same with Spectrum.

Berks County Pennsylvania
Old 05-19-2019, 02:01 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,952 Times in 1,706 Posts

When we were on Lifestyle at the Brownwood villas this March they had xfinity by Comcast on TV that not only had few channels but very low definition etc we did not really have the proper remote either but it was the worst TV we have ever had. Also the screen had the wrong aspect ratio. It was certainly set up to show how bad it can be. Roku and Netflix were not accessible. My hubby was beyond frustrated. When I was in Hawaii I usually watched what we recorded on our PVR at home up North. I hope that we can do better than that in TV. Any ideas are welcome. We are at Mallory just south of Sumter Landing.

Last edited by Velvet; 05-19-2019 at 02:08 PM.
Old 05-19-2019, 03:11 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,094 Times in 1,336 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by billethkid View Post
We pay Comcast/Xfinity $170 per month for blast internet and more channels than we need.
Back out the internet as I think Comcast is among if not the best.
That leaves television at $110 per month.
I have tried Apple TV, Netflix, Amazon and Plex streaming.
For me, just too much ala carte hunting and pecking. And the bigger issue of recording. We record everything we watch.

Until the dust settles on streaming standards, pricing, recording capability, etc..... I elect to continue paying around $50 more per month for the current convenience.

Current streaming pricing will continue to increase as people demand more conveniences (like current cable/satellites).

For now we will wait and continue to enjoy what we have.
I agree, and if you "play their game" you can get all what you have for under $120. If you're dealing with Comcast just sign up as a new account every time yours has expired. Been doing that for probably 40 years between DirecTV, Fios & now Comcast depending on where I lived.. Just "re-signed" for $125/mo for 2 years for internet and cable with more channels + Showtime than I would ever need and all on one 4K box for 2 TV's plus internet. Doing the same for SIRIUS/XM satellite radio. Never paid more than half-price. Unless you have ALL the pay channels if you are paying more than $100-125/mo depending on # of TV's for TV AND internet you're doing it wrong. Between dealing with OTA antennas and Hulu and all the other bits and pieces from different apps the inconvenience just isn't worth saving $20/month. I just want to push a button and watch TV.
Old 05-19-2019, 05:06 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by New Englander View Post
Would that be a speed of 60 Mbps? If yes, does it buffer a lot?
I have Comcast 25MBPS internet service, and don’t have problem with buffering....
and we have 2 Roku TV’s, 2 laptops, Simplisafe doorbell, 2 Smart phones and a couple of IPads connected.
Plus a Nexia wifi controlled thermostat.
And many operating at same time.
A good up to date router is very important!
Old 05-20-2019, 07:28 AM
Veteran member

Yes, it is 60mps and no it doesn't buffer.
Old 05-20-2019, 08:39 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,232 Times in 419 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoelJohnson View Post
Yes, it is 60mps and no it doesn't buffer.
Thanks
Old 05-21-2019, 07:18 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fredster View Post
I have Comcast 25MBPS internet service, and don’t have problem with buffering....
and we have 2 Roku TV’s, 2 laptops, Simplisafe doorbell, 2 Smart phones and a couple of IPads connected.
Plus a Nexia wifi controlled thermostat.
And many operating at same time.
A good up to date router is very important!
We have been using Comcast 25Mbps internet for around $20 per month for the last few years. We stream with Roku and Fire TV and have had no issues with buffering through YouTube TV or Playstation Vue. No need to spend big bucks on "high speed" internet. Netflix only requires around 3Mbps to stream in hi-def. Overpaying for high speed internet is like buying size 13 running shoes when you only need size 10. You won't run any faster or better.
Old 05-24-2019, 03:56 PM

Call Tom Grooms villager AV can answer your questions. There is a Cutting the Cord club in the villages that started in Dec 2018 and now has over 1,000 members.
I canceled Comcast cable,Kept their internet for $59 a month for 150mps.
Old 05-24-2019, 05:52 PM
Veteran member

I could live with cable and YouTube TV
Old 05-24-2019, 11:15 PM

Does anyone know if one YouTube account will work in two locations? We have a house in NH and one on TV, both with DirecTv for services. When we leave one for a few months, we still have to pay a vacation rate to temporarily suspend services until we return. We were told we could not have just one account and swap service back and forth. (We are, however, able do this with Serius Radio in our cars because we leave one in TV).
We have Rokus in both houses for live streaming, but record most of the television programs we watch because we hate having to endure those endless commercials. This would require a lot of recording with whatever service we go with, which I believe, after reading about several, would be YouTube TV.
Anyone with the same issue?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 05-25-2019, 03:52 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seacoast1 View Post
Does anyone know if one YouTube account will work in two locations? We have a house in NH and one on TV, both with DirecTv for services. When we leave one for a few months, we still have to pay a vacation rate to temporarily suspend services until we return. We were told we could not have just one account and swap service back and forth. (We are, however, able do this with Serius Radio in our cars because we leave one in TV).
We have Rokus in both houses for live streaming, but record most of the television programs we watch because we hate having to endure those endless commercials. This would require a lot of recording with whatever service we go with, which I believe, after reading about several, would be YouTube TV.

We are in R.I. and the Villages and at different times we have used youtube tv and directv now in both locations. Sometimes, for directv now for example, they will compare your actual physical location with your credit card address to determine which local channels you get. When we are in Florida we switch our credit card for directv now to the one that has a florida address. In that way we get the Orlando local stations. When we are back in R.I. we switch to the R.I. addressed credit card to get the R.I. local stations. I don’t think they’ve changed this. If you do not have a physical location matched with a credit card address, they may lock you out of the local channels. Other channels will be fine however. We find that streaming tv is especially great when you have two houses.
Old 05-25-2019, 03:57 AM
Veteran member

We actually like YouTube tv better than directv now but only recently switched as there was a special of $20 off per month for three months and we want to watch the final season of Game of Thrones. HBO is included in the base directv now package. I expect at some point, probably after the 3 months, we’ll switch back to YouTube tv.
Old 05-25-2019, 07:58 AM
Sage
Send a message via AIM to eweissenbach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seacoast1 View Post

We have homes in TV and Kansas City and have had YouTube TV for a year now. We had directTV for twenty years then Spectrum for a year, and stopping and starting from one location to another was troublesome. With youtube tv we get the channels we want (HGTV was recently added) and easy squeezy switching, along with lower cost. Another thing we like is when we are in The Villages we continue to get our local Kansas City channels which we like to keep up on news from home. I should add that we have never lost the youtube tv signal as opposed to direct tv, which went out often during stormy weather.
Old 05-25-2019, 08:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eweissenbach View Post
We have homes in TV and Kansas City and have had YouTube TV for a year now. We had directTV for twenty years then Spectrum for a year, and stopping and starting from one location to another was troublesome. With youtube tv we get the channels we want (HGTV was recently added) and easy squeezy switching, along with lower cost. Another thing we like is when we are in The Villages we continue to get our local Kansas City channels which we like to keep up on news from home. I should add that we have never lost the youtube tv signal as opposed to direct tv, which went out often during stormy weather.

Thanks so much for the information. I’m going to start the free trial this weekend.....and I look forward to saving $$$$$$.

Old 05-26-2019, 11:02 AM

Well, I finally had enough of my cable service. With an internet speed of 20 Mbps and basic cable for ~$180/month, I was tired of being fleeced. So, Century Link is now my ISP at 80 Mbps for $45/month. I am also a subscriber of Netflix and Amazon Prime for a couple of years and that won't change for the near future. It only made since to go with Amazon Fire Sticks since I was a subscriber already. So I purchased 4 Fire Sticks. Two for 4K TVs and 2 for TVs that have lower resolutions. Along with that I subscribed to Hulu Live at $44.95 not counting taxes and fees. I couldn't be happier. All of those coaxial cables are gone and so is the company that abused me for so long. OH, one last tidbit. I still work from home as a DBA and must connect to my servers over VPN. It works great. The cable companies equipment that is used for bundling TV, Phone and Internet has crippled firmware, making a VPN connection impossible. The bottom line is: I have more to watch (or cruise when I am bored) plus internet that is 4 times faster and essentially 1/2 the price. It felt really good kicking cable to the curb.
Closed Thread

Tags
don’t, spectrum, option, kind, thing

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.