Can you think of a reason why people don't post?

Closed Thread
Old 01-21-2007, 09:21 AM
Founder
Default Can you think of a reason why people don't post?

It's very interesting. All across the internet, there are thousands of forums for every conceivable interest and millions of people join the fun and conversation. There is no greater special interest group than the Villages residents. Hundreds of people visit this site every day. We have 10s of thousands of page views. Just the "speeding cars" topic has nearly 200 views. Yet, people seem to not join in the conversation by posting replies. Can you think of a reason why that might be? :dontknow:

Old 01-21-2007, 11:25 AM
Send a message via AIM to LovinItAtTheVillages Send a message via Yahoo to LovinItAtTheVillages
Default Re: Can you think of a reason why people don't post?

: maybe because the topics are mostly written by one person..not the people who are visiting?
I expected to get a few people interested in the new RED HAT chapter..Ladies of the Evening and secretly was hoping to because it is brand new and the Queen Mom needs members before she starts the monthly outings..but nope..just one gal showed interest and I dont know if she ended up calling the Queen Mom or not :'(
Old 10-31-2007, 04:02 PM

I can't wait to get to TV so I can join the Red Hat Club.
Old 10-31-2007, 04:32 PM
Veteran member

One reason I can think of is that people who are not "Villagers" don't feel qualified to make a post. I know there are some topics I don't post on because of that reason. That will change when I do live there next year. :dontknow:
Old 10-31-2007, 04:59 PM
Veteran member

And I also think some folks just rather read what's going on!
Old 10-31-2007, 05:03 PM
Sage

I think Dicky hit the nail on the head. I know that many of the posts that i make i qualify myself as a current outsider. I will offer my opinion on generic things.

I'm actually surprised that more 'insiders' don't use TOTV for setting up outings or the like. Maybe once I'm down there I'll realize that it's not needed because of the friendships that are made in person.
Old 10-31-2007, 05:24 PM

As a future Villager, I am learning a lot of what is going on. It was very educational the posting regarding the closing costs. I have heard that some people hire Realtors to handle their dealings with the purchase and/or closing of a property (as a representative of the buyer). Have anyone heard something about this????
Old 10-31-2007, 06:34 PM
Sage

You may view the same page many times and only post to it once or not at all.
Da Chicago So Side; The Village of Park Forest, IL; 3/7 Cav, 3rd Inf Div, Schweinfurt, Ger 65-66; MACV J12 Saigon 66-67; San Leandro, Hayward & Union City, CA (San Francisco East Bay Area) GO DUBS ! (aka W's)
Old 10-31-2007, 07:59 PM

We are snowbirds (last five years at TV) and know a bit about TV. From what I see, the same people post over and over on every topic. It can be a bit "off putting" when you considering the "playground" post that has been beaten to death. I check in to see what's new at TV and surrounding areas. A few members have great information for newcomers and even old timers. This is a great site but is pretty much dominated by a few people who have strong opinions on everything. Hope I don't get blasted to bad for this one.
South Amboy, NJ
St. Louis, MO
St. Charles, MO
Lake of the Ozarks, MO

"What if the Hokey Pokey really is what it's all about"?
Old 10-31-2007, 08:11 PM

Hi Everyone,

I think one reason some people, like myself don't post is because we find so many answers to the questions we have by reading the responses each day. Every time I prepare to ask a question, someone has already asked it. TOTV has been a tremendous help for those of us who are seriously considering a move to The Villages.

Since my first post about six months ago, my wife and I have had the pleasure of visiting The Villages twice. A third visit is planned for the holiday period. We are trying to do our homework before making a final decision. Each and every person who participates in the TOTV website has provided us with a tremendous insight into what life is really like there.

Jan, you are to be praised for the work you and your staff put into the site. I know it is not an easy job. I feel bad for you and your wife having to endure the train noise problem. Hopefully, it can be resolved in some way so you may both enjoy the good life at The Villages.

To everyone who visits this site every day, thank you for your personal stories. Like so many other folks, we hope to be your neighbors sometime next year. See you in The Villages during our next trip in a month.

Newsman
Old 10-31-2007, 11:13 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nanci2539
And I also think some folks just rather read what's going on!
I have to agree with you. Maybe they don't have a coment to make, but still enjoy the "conversation"
Village of Hemmingway
Old 11-01-2007, 03:16 AM

Its an interesting question. I try to post often but as was said earlier, many times my thoughts have already been voiced by an earlier post. And as a wanna be Villager (soon I hope) I tend to listen rather thjan speak as I don't have a lot of knowledge on many of the topics. But I love TOTV, thoroughly enjoy hearing what people think and giggle at some of the back and forth exchanges, and most of all I really apprreciate all the good advice.
Johannesburg, London, Wiesbaden, Fairfield CA, Tokyo, Rock Hill SC, Myrtle Beach, Denver, Baltimore, Bangkok, Hongkong, Rutland VT, New York NY, Seneca SC, and next (and last stop as soon as we sell our house) The Villages.
Old 11-01-2007, 04:18 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Let me put my two cents in here about having a hard time recruiting redhats here....Its hard for new people to realize that there are over 450 different clubs and organizations here and everyone is already wrapped up in some group or two or three......and that doesn't even include golf,tennis, botchie,pickle ball, bowling etc, etc. If you are not a joiner then they have the Michigan club,Ohio club, Penn.club etc, etc. .....College clubs , High school clubs,and it never ends...every kind of card playing you can imagine and it you don't want a club,,,,they play at least one night a week in the different rec. buildings and all you have to do is show up.......This truly an amazing place and Buying a home here is only part of it.......After six months here I have more close friends than forty years in northern Michigan, and I thought I would never leave there..........You ask , " YES BUT WHAT IS ALL THIS I HEAR ABOUT THESE TRAINS?????) Well I can honestly tell you that although I'm not crazy about the trains ..and I live close to them, I am used to them and they don't bother me and if your inside , you don't hear them....
I allways said that if I move to Florida it has to be on the coast , I need sand and water......We'll let tell you that I'm having so much fun here that sand and water is the last thing I think about...............
Played golf today with three good friends and lost two dollars, I played lousy,,,,,,,I giggled and laughed all afternoon at these guys giving me the ribbing, They are not very bright but they are pretty good golfers , However they are not as good as me so I can't wait until tomorrow to get my two dollars back.......unless of course my wife makes me go to dance lessons....

Don't be afraid to make a post here folks ....We all love to read them...

THE GREAT FUMAR
Old 11-01-2007, 05:34 AM
Veteran member

[color=purple]I don't know about the folks lurking here. But, it's possible some of the folks just aren't 'into' typing. I have one brother who reads things on the internet, and e-mails sent to him, but he never responds to his e-mails because he doesn't type. He gets too frustrated with the hen pecking to type one word. I don't think this applies to most folks, but probably a few.

Another possibility, some of us are shy about initially joining groups (myself somewhat included, although I quickly feel comfortable once I'm involved). Even though an on-line forum is easier to join, shy types still feel like an outsider since they see friendships have already formed on-line.

Note to all lurkers:
JOIN US...MOST OF US ARE GREAT FOLKS AND DON'T BITE!
Old 11-01-2007, 11:46 AM

Many of the posts are repititious since people add their "two cents worth" as the spirit moves them. There are lots of posts that have been answered many times by different people. Many posts initiate questions from those not living in TV which make the topic go on and on. So, I go to the last post of the topic to see if it is of interest then move on.

Usually the posts that I'm the most interested in are those from "The Host" or someone living full time in TV as their questions/comments are more relevant to me. I have e-mailed requested information to some people that I didn't want posted for the general public.

I have found a wealth of information on this site and check it out daily. I've recommended it to many people and I'm sure as we continue to grow in numbers here in TV, the site will also grow. This site is a great "shot in the arm" for us and I personally would miss it. I think that those of us who live in TV especially "full time" don't have much to say as we have too much to do. That said, I must get ready for my golf game.......
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.