canadian snowbirds

Closed Thread
Old 09-18-2007, 12:20 PM
Default canadian snowbirds

We are a semi retired canadian couple who have visited and loved TV. Are there any Canadians who have bought in TV and what are their opinions re: buying vs renting due to foreign residency time restrictions. Wish we could sty more than 6 months a year.
Old 09-18-2007, 01:13 PM
Veteran member
Default Re: canadian snowbirds

I am an ex Canadian snowbird. I can tell you I probably see at least 5 to 10 cars or carts a day with moslty Ontario plates. Send me an email and I will try and respond.. Working today :bigthumbsup: :bigthumbsup:
Old 09-18-2007, 01:55 PM
Soaring Eagle member

A Canadian snowbird....would that be a Goose? We have a regular on the forum who I'm sure will respond.
Old 09-18-2007, 02:04 PM
Veteran member

Golfnut: The one thing I don't like is Canadian Geese. I have a pond in back yard in Indiana, it's not unusual to see 50 of these at one time , One reason to move to TV full time

Barefoot at Last would be the person to talk to .
Old 09-21-2007, 10:29 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike1472
We are a semi retired canadian couple who have visited and loved TV. Are there any Canadians who have bought in TV and what are their opinions re: buying vs renting due to foreign residency time restrictions. Wish we could sty more than 6 months a year.
We are also a Canadian couple who bought in TV in May (sight unseen, but that's another post). We'll be snowflakes. We wish we could stay longer than six months, > It makes it very expensive to maintain two homes. Plus we can't be homesteaded so we pay higher taxes in Florida. I'm retired but Mr. Wallethead will be working in Canada and flying back and forth. Not an ideal arrangements, but at our age, we don't know how much time we have left. My motto is "Don't put anything off!"

We bought because we have dogs and most rentals don't want two dogs, especially one the size of a horse. But to be truthful, even if we didn't have dogs, we would have bought instead of renting because we fell in love with TV and want to be part of the whole thing until we croak. Now we be Villagers!

The Canadian dollar reached parity today with the U.S. dollar. Prices in the Villages are low. What a great time to buy.
:bigthumbsup:
Old 09-24-2007, 02:44 PM
Soaring Eagle member

spend them loonies, you can't take 'em with you.
Old 09-24-2007, 08:03 PM
Sage

It isn't hard to spend loonies when you have no furniture and need a golf cart, a Villa painted, furniture, kitchen stuff, $$$$$$ Shoulda bought turn key -- what was I thinking? But it sure is nice that our looney is finally equivalent to your dollar ... :bigthumbsup: YAY. Just in time for my Oct 20 first trip to TV, and the subsequent buying spree .... you'll hear those cash registers ringing all over TV!
Old 09-26-2007, 01:39 PM

Hello Fellow Canadians

This is my first post and I am so excited to see other Canadians posting. We close on our new Villages house on October 15th and I can not wait to get there. We also will be busy trying to furnish and set up our home. My husband is still working but we want to make the move to buy now while our dollar is strong. We will be trying to get there as often as we can until his retirement and then will be spending 6 months a year enjoying the Villages. Looking forward to getting to know all of you.

Old 09-26-2007, 02:05 PM
Veteran member

mom2five:
Welcome to TV. The more you read you will see there are plenty of snowbirds from Canada
Old 09-26-2007, 02:54 PM

Thank you I am so glad to hear that :2cool:
Old 09-27-2007, 10:48 PM
Sage

Mom2five, what Village will you be living in? My husband will also be working in Toronto, but I'll be there hopefully for six months; and he'll fly back and forth. We are SO lucky with the Canadian dollar right now; I just converted more money today to U.S. ;D You picked a perfect time to buy in TV! I bet you are so excited, I am!!! We should get together for sure once we get settled.
Old 09-28-2007, 11:49 AM

Barefoot, if you are in a villa check your restrictions and covenants. In the villas in our village, I think residents are limited to only one dog. Those not in villas can have two. Not sure about that but it seems like that is what I remember. I can't remember the source but your sales rep should be able to clarify one way or the other.
Old 09-28-2007, 07:25 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by chacam
Barefoot, if you are in a villa check your restrictions and covenants. In the villas in our village, I think residents are limited to only one dog. Those not in villas can have two. Not sure about that but it seems like that is what I remember. I can't remember the source but your sales rep should be able to clarify one way or the other.
OMG, OMG I'm sure I checked restrictions before buying and I'm sure I read somewhere that anywhere in TV you are allowed to have two domestic animals! Does anyone know if Chacam is right? I've never heard anywhere that Villas can only have one dog. And if he is right, does anyone want an old, dilapidated, 70 lb dog with two bad knees?
Old 09-28-2007, 08:05 PM
Platinum member

Barefoot, Don't worry, it is 2 dogs. We live in a Savannah Courtyard villa. We have 2 dogs as do many of our neighbors.
Tampa, FL
Old 09-28-2007, 08:47 PM
Sage

Oh, Avista, thank heavens! That is a huge relief. A limit of one dog would really have been a show stopper for us; we treasure our furry friends. Thanks so much for your post, whew, now we can all rest easy.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.