Car buying advice

Closed Thread
Old 01-24-2021, 12:14 PM
Sage
Thanked 13,687 Times in 5,234 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrf6969 View Post
Before you go car shopping you best do your homework first. Research to know what your trade value is by using Edmunds, NADA vehicle value or Kelly Blue Book. Know what new vehicles you may be interested in purchasing then look up what dealer cost is on those vehicles based on what model level you want to buy.
Going car shopping unprepared is just asking for yourself to be taken advantage of.
Do not shop at dealers that have any type of added profit on the vehicle window sticker.
Jenkins Dealers are notorious for this practice.
Look over the dealers internet site for the vehicle you may want. I have found that dealing only with the internet manager at a dealer will get you your best pricing and this all starts with a phone call.
This process will save you time, money and brain damage.
I am happy to shop at dealers who have a separate window sticker with added items. Just don't pay for them.
Old 01-24-2021, 04:53 PM
Sage
Location: village of Fenney, Ford City, Pa., and Hudson, Ohio
Thanked 4,337 Times in 1,445 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredguy123 View Post
I'm glad you got a good price. The last car I bought, I selected the car I wanted, took a test drive, allowed the dealer to inspect my trade-in, got the dealer's price in writing and a copy of the window sticker, and went home. Two days later, I retuned with an appointment, handed the salesman my out-the-door price on a piece of paper, showed him my checkbook, and trade-in title. I told him that I would wait in the lounge and that he had 15 minutes to accept the price and start the paperwork, or I was leaving. Within 10 minutes, the sales manager came out, and said the he would be losing 200 dollars if he accepted my price. I thanked him and told him that I didn't want him to lose money, so I would just buy the car from another dealer. When I turned and started to walk away, he immediately shook my hand and said we had a deal. It was a Thursday morning, not a Saturday.
And there you go, you did your homework and it paid off, that's the only way to do it. It's easier to figure out trades now as sites such as Carvana will give you a 7 day guaranteed price to buy your car, a little lower than you would get selling it to an individual but a good number to use on a trade to save on sales tax. It used to be fun being cars but not so much any more.
Old 01-24-2021, 06:36 PM

Dealerships are in business to make money. It's makes no difference if you are young or old, if you are not prepared, you will not come out on top of a professional salesman.

It's not fair to say the dealer took advantage of some senior citizens. Did the dealer come to their house and trick them into buying a car they did not want or need?

The people went to the dealership and simply did not get as good of a deal as sharper people could have.
Old 01-24-2021, 06:52 PM
Sage
Thanked 13,687 Times in 5,234 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inspector Mark View Post
Dealerships are in business to make money. It's makes no difference if you are young or old, if you are not prepared, you will not come out on top of a professional salesman.

It's not fair to say the dealer took advantage of some senior citizens. Did the dealer come to their house and trick them into buying a car they did not want or need?

The people went to the dealership and simply did not get as good of a deal as sharper people could have.
I agree, but this situation is unique to car buying. Most retail businesses charge the same price to all customers. But, typically, uninformed car buyers will pay approximately $2,000 to $4,000 more than a savvy buyer will pay for the same car.
Old 01-24-2021, 07:17 PM
Sage
Thanked 14,037 Times in 5,329 Posts

Quote:

Dealerships know the people who they can generally get to pay more for a car and thus do take advantage of many people.
Old 01-24-2021, 07:21 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,921 Times in 2,447 Posts

Florida full of rip-off artist, especially car dealers!
Old 01-24-2021, 07:23 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,921 Times in 2,447 Posts

Quote:

Yes, it is fair, they are rip-off artist
Old 01-25-2021, 12:01 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,094 Times in 1,336 Posts

If a dealer accepts YOUR OFFER with little or no haggling YOU PAID TOO MUCH no matter how much research you did.

Every "sucker" who overpays only helps you to get a better deal.

Don't "feel sorry" for someone who overpaid because it's THEIR fault for not asking someone (friend or family) to help or not doing their "due diligence." Also, some people willingly pay sticker price just because they don't want to hassle and have plenty of money so as to not to give a damn. I have someone in my "extended" family like that. They have so much money they don't know what to do with it. That doesn't mean they were gouged it means they don't care. They do get VERY WELL taken care of by the dealers .... and no, they don't buy "luxury" cars.
Old 01-25-2021, 12:09 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,094 Times in 1,336 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu from NYC View Post
Dealerships know the people who they can generally get to pay more for a car and thus do take advantage of many people.
I don't believe they are taking advantage of anyone. That's called SELLING. That's what they get paid for. Get the most they can. Now if they blatantly lie or charge for things they don't provide that's another story. It's up to a BUYER to beat up on the salesman. If they don't they shouldn't be buying anything over $50 without assistance or hiring a 3rd party buyer to represent them.

High-Ticket Sales: 12 Ways to Sell an Expensive Product
Old 01-25-2021, 06:03 AM
Email Reported As Spam

When test driving a used car from a dealer and they insist that they HOLD your drivers license while you are on the test drive, do not allow it.
Old 01-25-2021, 06:22 AM
Veteran member
Default Some great stories

When my kids started being of the age to drive I went on my long crusade of buying cars I think I bought six cars for three kids over 6 years. My best friend's friend worked for a car dealer and the first car we bought was a VW convertible which is what my daughter wanted. Being a used car it had a sticker on it. The nice sales lady who knew we were friends of a friend simply took $4,000 off the used car sticker price. That was probably the easiest sale she ever made in half an hour and the easiest negotiation I never had to do that's just shows you how much they make on used cars. Just so you know new cars are marked up eight to 12% maximum and then the dealers can get advertising rebates floor rebates, all these are rebates besides the consumer rebates of 0% and specific car model and option rebates buying a new car itself is crazy and you'll probably lose 5 to $10,000 in one year in depreciation but that's up to you. I firmly believe most car salesmen are there to take up your time and get you to be impatient to just accept an offer after two or three hours. As others have said above most car salesman last one or two months because it's truly a hard job with a lot of rejection. You have to research the car you want you have to know what the wholesale value of your used car is and keep in mind it has to be three to $4,000 below what the retail is. The internet is your friend get to doing some research. The finance manager today is much more than that you should either know
Old 01-25-2021, 06:24 AM

My uncle sold GM Cars after retiring from the military. He told me the magic words are "Out the door price". Of course find out the fair value before shopping, using Kelly Blue Book find out what the state tax will be and add it in. Then state all negotiation is on the "out the door price" and don't let them charge you more than the car is worth - hopefully get it for less. The dealers can't add extra items and charge you for them if you sue "out the door price". If there is something dealers cannot change (all I've been to say they cannot take away one certain fee whose name I have forgotten) then either try to get them below Kelly Blue Book or live with that one fee.
Old 01-25-2021, 06:48 AM

Every dealership will appraise your car at a different value.So before you call somebody a rip off artist you should understand how everything works. Sounds like most of you people have never been in business for yourself.
Old 01-25-2021, 06:52 AM

Go to You Tube and search for “Homework Guy” or “Auto Advocate” (there are many others) for great advice on avoiding unnecessary auto dealer costs and tricks. You also need to grow a spine when you step onto the dealer lot to avoid their sales techniques and bull****. I hate the whole process.
Old 01-25-2021, 07:05 AM
Sage
Thanked 7,371 Times in 2,517 Posts

Only ever had new cars when employer supplied them.
Personal cars I have always bought private, low mileage used in top condition.
As soon as you drive a new car from showroom, you have lost at least 15-20% of what you pay, probably more.
Never seen the point in throwing that amount away for a machine.
That's another holiday somewhere nice!
Closed Thread

Tags
car, dealers, add, www.kbb.com, label

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.