Car Dealer wont give me Title for cash purchase. Advertised miles 20K, actual 40k

Closed Thread
Old 01-25-2021, 07:28 AM
Default Car Dealer wont give me Title for cash purchase. Advertised miles 20K, actual 40k

Purchased car for out of state registration 30 days ago. Purchased outright, so no lien. Signed all papers, one of which was a Title showing the signing over the car to me. I asked for copies of all papers signed and they gave me all except the one that was the Title, so I could take it to my own state and register it. Here it is now 30 days and no title and my city hall has not received it either. FL law gives them only 30 days to produce and give it to me. found that out from FL DMV.
Also they fraudulently advertised 20 k on odometer, but it actually has close to 40k. This is a certified car given by the maker, not the dealer for the 20k mileage for back a year ago. The dealer then just changed the mileage amount with no real certification, just "changed the numbers". It also means that the certification is false as the maker only certifies up to 35k. I was the one who told them that the mileage was different.
Car is still sitting at the dealer's lot as I don't want to take it with all the discrepancies.
Any ideas of how to demand the Title and should I turn the dealership into the FL Attorney General's office, the "-----of America" organization over them. So here I am with a car that supposedly I own, but no proof of ownership. Dealer says, "Oh in another 3-4 weeks you'll have the title. We use a 3rd party to do our paperwork.......... Really!!!!!
Need ideas of how to handle this.
Old 01-25-2021, 07:32 AM
Veteran member

That's why we have lawyers.
Old 01-25-2021, 07:38 AM
Sage
Thanked 13,689 Times in 5,235 Posts

If you paid for the car, why would you leave it at the dealership? I would take the car and the bill of sale paperwork and apply for a new title.
Old 01-25-2021, 08:15 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,665 Times in 594 Posts

Who is the dealer?? - so i can avoid them (much like Jenkins on another thread)
Old 01-25-2021, 08:18 AM

///
Old 01-25-2021, 08:31 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by E Cascade View Post
So here I am with a car that supposedly I own, but no proof of ownership. Dealer says, "Oh in another 3-4 weeks you'll have the title. We use a 3rd party to do our paperwork.......... Really!!!!!
Not to pile on here, but there's a saying that is appropriate here: If you can't stand on top of something and defend it with a rifle, you don't own it.

Never, ever give the money until the title is in your possession. If they didn't have your money, you'd be amazed at the effort they will go through to get the title into your hands. Now that they have the money, meh. "We will get to it when we get to it.".

I guess it depends on how much money we're talking about here. I would probably arrange to meet with a local LEO at the stealership. When you walk in with a uniformed officer, it tends to get people's attention. Even if the cop never says a word. "He's my witness that you're not providing me title to my property, we're heading back to the station to file the report as soon as we're done here. How do you spell your last name?"
Old 01-25-2021, 08:37 AM

you asked, "should I turn the dealership into the FL Attorney General's office, the "-----of America" organization"
what is the blank word before of America organization?
Old 01-25-2021, 09:43 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,921 Times in 2,447 Posts

Some state’s it’s take more than 30 days to get title. After all these are state employees which IMO about efficient at federal employees, they may be working from home with good union? I sold truck in another state with lean on it. I paid off the lean but the loan company took 45 days to get clean title to new owner which wasn’t even in state where I had the lean. Basically, one matter what state you’re in it’s SAFU. At least buying it outright should of made the process easier.
Old 01-25-2021, 10:53 AM
Sage
Location: village of Fenney, Ford City, Pa., and Hudson, Ohio
Thanked 4,337 Times in 1,445 Posts

Ask them for a temporary tag so you can drive it while you are waiting. I too don't understand why it's sitting at the dealership nor do I understand the 20,000 mile discrepancy. You would need some proof of deception if you plan on hiring an attorney. Best to work it out with the dealer.
Old 01-25-2021, 07:49 PM
Gold member

Call the office of your local state senator or congressman. Tell them what is happening to you. Have your ducks in a row when you call or meet with them. Have all paperwork and facts for them.

Also find out from them the department of the state that oversees the licensing of Florida auto dealers. If a dealer is doing what you are describing they will not only go after them but can take their dealer license away from them and put them out of business.

Also if this is a franchised dealer (Honda, Ford,) and not a used then call the complaint department of that franchise even though the purchase is not a new vehicle.

I was in the automobile business for 35 years in Indiana and in Indiana that would be the best way to attack your problem. They won't call the dealer they will visit the dealer.

Last edited by Indy-Guy; 01-25-2021 at 08:02 PM. Reason: additional info
Old 01-28-2021, 03:37 PM
Thanked 1,119 Times in 246 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by E Cascade View Post
Purchased car for out of state registration 30 days ago. Purchased outright, so no lien. Signed all papers, one of which was a Title showing the signing over the car to me. I asked for copies of all papers signed and they gave me all except the one that was the Title, so I could take it to my own state and register it. Here it is now 30 days and no title and my city hall has not received it either. FL law gives them only 30 days to produce and give it to me. found that out from FL DMV.
Also they fraudulently advertised 20 k on odometer, but it actually has close to 40k. This is a certified car given by the maker, not the dealer for the 20k mileage for back a year ago. The dealer then just changed the mileage amount with no real certification, just "changed the numbers". It also means that the certification is false as the maker only certifies up to 35k. I was the one who told them that the mileage was different.
Car is still sitting at the dealer's lot as I don't want to take it with all the discrepancies.
Any ideas of how to demand the Title and should I turn the dealership into the FL Attorney General's office, the "-----of America" organization over them. So here I am with a car that supposedly I own, but no proof of ownership. Dealer says, "Oh in another 3-4 weeks you'll have the title. We use a 3rd party to do our paperwork.......... Really!!!!!
First off, what do you mean by the "maker"? Do you mean as in "Ford Certified" Factory Certified", etc? Why not name names?

Secondly, you will get your title...eventually. They got your money so now you will have to just wait and wait and wait.

Third; didn't you look at the odometer? Did you only look at what mileage was written on the paperwork? Dumb!

You know what P.T. Barnum said...

Lastly, for crying out loud, take the car home with you. At least you have something.
Closed Thread

Tags
car, title, dealer, days, mileage

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.