Garage Door Opener?

Closed Thread
Old 06-07-2021, 06:21 AM
Default Garage Door Opener?

Has anyone replaced their garage door opener? Did you get the chain or belt driven? Who did you have install it. I would appreciate any recommendations.
Old 06-07-2021, 11:25 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cordenny View Post
Has anyone replaced their garage door opener? Did you get the chain or belt driven? Who did you have install it. I would appreciate any recommendations.
Just had it done a few months ago….belt drive is quieter
Scott…. 352-697-0321
came quickly and did good work
Old 06-07-2021, 11:40 AM

Quote:
It depends if it's needed. Mine is fourteen years old and works well. I perform maintenance regularly.
“When you realize that to produce, you must obtain the permission from those who do not produce anything; When it is proven that the money flows to those who trade not with goods, but with favors; When you realize that many get rich by bribery and influence rather than by work. When you realize that corruption is rewarded and honesty becomes self-sacrifice; Then you can say, without fear of making mistakes, your society is doomed.”

Ayn Rand
Atlas Shrugged,1957.
Old 06-07-2021, 11:46 AM

I've replaced one. It required replacing the sensors and wall unit as well. Not difficult.

Requires a step ladder and RFM.
Old 06-07-2021, 02:05 PM
Sage
Thanked 6,097 Times in 2,230 Posts

I have replaced the original equipment with Chamberlin opener, both chain and belt drives, belt is quieter. These were DIY installs, fairly easy, second person makes it much easier. With a little planning I was able to reuse the mount above the door, and the original angle brackets mounted to the ceiling, just needed a few cuts to the other original pieces for the new unit to fit. I was also able to reuse to existing wiring between the sensors and the original opener, just be sure to record the new color codes.
Old 06-07-2021, 06:41 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,748 Times in 1,385 Posts

By the time I am ready (ours are only 17 years old!) I would hope they have wireless with an app.....so I don't have to go back to see if we put the door down (I know we are the only ones doing that)
Old 06-07-2021, 07:46 PM
Sage
Thanked 8,244 Times in 4,279 Posts

Slightly off topic...

Has anyone added a keypad to open their garage door?

I know that Lowes and Home Depot sell them, but the none of the brands sold as "universal" list the standard Villages remotes as compatible...

-Tom Petty
Old 06-07-2021, 07:55 PM
Gold member
Thanked 1,301 Times in 559 Posts

Chamberlain Belt drive, battery backup with the My Q app! Comes with a new keypad , 2 remotes , sensors, the works, it's very quiet... off subject, keep your garage door balanced

Last edited by RICH1; 06-07-2021 at 07:55 PM. Reason: Punctuation
Old 06-07-2021, 09:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMintzer View Post
Slightly off topic...

I know that Lowes and Home Depot sell them, but the none of the brands sold as "universal" list the standard Villages remotes as compatible...
You would have to get a keypad from Romac and they charge almost $50 I believe. If you are going to spend that much on a keypad you may as well get the Chamberlain belt drive that is MUCH quieter and comes with the keypad, when it’s on sale it’s $179. I just replaced our Romac and it’s so quiet that you can’t hear when it’s opened.
Old 06-07-2021, 09:52 PM
Veteran member

I bought 2 garage door openers for the car and cart for $35. Easy to program if that's what you are looking for.
Old 06-08-2021, 03:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMintzer View Post
Slightly off topic...

I have an "Overhead" door opener. I found a matching keypad (wireless) on Amazon. Installed easily, works great.
Old 06-08-2021, 04:57 AM
Default Garage Door

We had "Greg" install a remote control screen door in our double garage. It was so quiet, we had him come back and install a belt drive opener on our big door. Really love both!
Greg - (352) 286-0129
Old 06-08-2021, 05:48 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Get a belt drive. I installed it myself.

The Chamberlain belt drive took me about 90 minutes to install. That's mostly because it was the first one I've done and I read the manual 6 times just to make sure I didn't miss anything. I also had to add the wires for the blockage/safety sensor at the bottom of the door so running those took some time. If you could reuse older ones it would have been a lot faster.

It has an app and you can open and close the garage door from anywhere and check to see if it is open or closed. The latest ones have a garage camera too which I would get if I were buying one today.

Last edited by Malsua; 06-08-2021 at 05:55 AM.
Old 06-08-2021, 06:11 AM
Default Don’t forget the Rollers

If you are going for quiet garage door - one thing to do is replace your steel rollers with nylon wheels!

Amazon sells them for $20 a set (10 pack) and you really only need to replace all but the lowest roller. The lowest roller requires you to deal with the spring and cable. Also the lowest one has minimal horizon travel where the noise is created.
Super quiet and updates the bearings that wear out over time.

Takes about 1-2 hours with the garage door down, if you can handle basic tools.
Old 06-08-2021, 06:24 AM

Quote:
We purchased a belt driven from Lowe’s and had them install it. $250 vs $700-900 estimates. Installed by ASAP.
Closed Thread

Tags
garage, opener, door, install, driven

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.