Car registration

Closed Thread
Old 05-27-2011, 12:34 AM
Default Car registration

I have a question for folks where one spouse has moved to TV and claimed residency while the other is still in their previous home.

I will be moving down sometime in late June or ealy July and will be bringing a car with me that has both names on the title/registration. Actually, all of our vehicles are in both (either) names. Will there be a problem when I go to register it in FL without both of us having FL licences? The NH registration on the vehicle I am bringing expires at the end of July, so I will need to get it done right away after I get down there.

We still don't know when his plant is going to close and he will be able to retire, so he is going to maintain his residence at our NH house until either the plant closes or the house sells. If the house sells first, he will have to find a site for our motorhome and he will stay there.

In NH either of us can renew the registration, not sure how it works in FL.

N. Reading, MA; Hampstead, NH; last stop SummerChase Cottages,TV!
Old 05-27-2011, 07:33 AM
Gold member

The phone number for auto registration is 352-753-1788. If I remember correctly before you go to the Registration office or as they call it here the Tax Collectors Office you have to have proof of Auto Insurance purchased in Florida. But give these people a call and they will be happy to answer your question.
Old 05-27-2011, 07:37 AM
Veteran member

I would suggest visiting the website of the Florida DMV http://www.dmvflorida.org/out-of-sta...stration.shtml as well as to call them directly on the phone. The approach to getting the correct answer directly from the horses mouth is certainly preferable than advice from this forum where you may get conflicting advice.
Old 05-27-2011, 10:45 AM
Eternal Member
Location: Formerly Refrigerated in Upstate NY, Now in village near Colony Plaza

Quote:
Originally Posted by kandj View Post
I will be moving down sometime in late June or ealy July and will be bringing a car with me that has both names on the title/registration. Actually, all of our vehicles are in both (either) names. Will there be a problem when I go to register it in FL without both of us having FL licences? The NH registration on the vehicle I am bringing expires at the end of July, so I will need to get it done right away after I get down there.
As a retired Supervising Motor Vehicle Representative of the State of New York with 23 years of experience, my opinion is that you should not have any problem. This is however a little more complex than it would seem and that could affect my opinion. i.e. is there a lein on the title, are you going to keep the title and registration in both names or make a change?

The best advise is to make sure you have all documents, signatures and ID's required and I agree with the others that contacting the "horses mouth" is the best advise. Make sure that when you contact them that you provide as best you can all the information possible that could affect the answer you get. In my experience one of the biggest problems many of our customers had in successfully getting their transactions done was that they failed to disclose some vital piece of information concerning what they wanted to accomplish when asking what the requirements are.

After you successfully get your registration processed, please consider posting what was necessary to "get 'er done." I for one would like to know! Good luck!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tbugs View Post
I would suggest visiting the website of the Florida DMV http://www.dmvflorida.org/out-of-sta...stration.shtml as well as to call them directly on the phone. The approach to getting the correct answer directly from the horses mouth is certainly preferable than advice from this forum where you may get conflicting advice.
This response is just to note that the organization of the web address you gave above is not associated with the the State of Florida and is not their official website. This is however not to say that the information given is incorrect.

The correct official address for vehicle registration information is http://www.flhsmv.gov/dhsmv/newflres.html.
"SMILE... TOMORROW MAY BE EVEN WORSE!"
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.