Careful When Trimming Palm Trees

Closed Thread
Old 02-10-2021, 11:08 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,910 Times in 1,528 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_W View Post
Last year my neighbor was up a ladder trimming his Sylvester Palm and he saw two eyes starring back at him, at first he thought it was Palm Rat. He then realized the eyes were too far apart, it was a Bobcat who probably was in the tree looking for a rat. The Bobcat came down and passed him on the way. He got off the ladder and then realized the Bobcat was cornered by the villa wall, there was no way out unless it ran by my neighbor. Then in one swift move the Bobcat scaled the wall and was gone.

The Villages Florida
That is one elegant looking pussy cat. MEEEEEOOOOOWWWWEEEE BABY !!!!
Old 02-10-2021, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnN View Post
I'll be careful, thanks for the tip. I'll have my wife start trimming the trees from now on
Give us a heads-up, so we can all go outside and listen for the scream?! Kinda like watching the rocket launches.
Old 02-10-2021, 01:21 PM

Yikes! I do not like snakes. Last year I was digging up a shrub in my backyard and jumped on my shovel to break a root and out shot a black racer snake. It was about 5 feet long. I wasn’t expecting it and no time to scream, but I certainly flew off that shovel quickly. I later learned that they are harmless, but it certainly gave me a fright.
Old 02-10-2021, 09:48 PM

Rats live in the palms, particularly on top of Queen Palms. Queen Palms are considered trash palms and landscapers love them because they are cheap. Notice how they mostly all have frizzle top.

Anyway, plant a "real" tree, not a palm. Real trees are less maintenance, provide shade, and you won't have to worry about the rats being your next-door neighbor.
Old 02-14-2021, 10:00 AM

I really admire you John, you are the most helpful kindest person to everyone and the best of knowledge . Thank you so much for all you do !
Old 02-14-2021, 09:45 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,094 Times in 1,336 Posts

Also be careful when you open your closed patio umbrella. You never know what's lurking, I mean sleeping, beneath! (And s/he keeps coming back! Must like the smell of steak on a pellet smoker grill )

The Villages Florida
Old 02-14-2021, 10:41 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,884 Times in 2,430 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosebud2020 View Post
Rats live in the palms, particularly on top of Queen Palms. Queen Palms are considered trash palms and landscapers love them because they are cheap. Notice how they mostly all have frizzle top.

Anyway, plant a "real" tree, not a palm. Real trees are less maintenance, provide shade, and you won't have to worry about the rats being your next-door neighbor.

If possible (not always) I plant tree that produces something I can eat. Like nuts or fruits. I’m making room right now for tangerines

Landscaper’s also like queen palms ( or any palm) so they can make money trimming.

Another thing rats are attracted to palm seeds/nuts. Keep the seed pods cut out and the palm rats will go down the street to palm that’s loaded with seed pods.
Closed Thread

Tags
snake, red, careful, surprise, rat

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.