Cars always have the right of way at gates.

Closed Thread
Old 01-31-2012, 07:07 AM
Gold member

No Contact-No Foul
Old 01-31-2012, 08:23 AM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeod View Post
I think you're referring to the area north of 466 where southbound carts have to cross northbound Morse traffic to continue south. While carts may get backed up waiting for a chance to cross, it still is a bad idea to have cars stop to let carts cross. It reinforces in some cart drivers that they can expect cars to stop, and in some car drivers that they should stop to let carts pass. This, to me, is a more dangerous situation.

They changed the lane markings in that area to create a left turn lane for carts that makes it safer than it was before. The problem primarily exists when the light at Morse and 466 is green for Morse traffic and two lanes of cars are coming through the gate and having to merge into one lane. The gate attendant has to be aware of backing up cars onto 466, so it is incumbent on him/her to expedite traffic through the gate. I haven't experienced them holding the gate open so cars stream through and don't think they should do that either.
I've seen them waving visitors thru without putting the gate down which is a problem. At least the residents have the gate go down between cars. This is a bad intersection.

John

"Don't curse the darkness when you can light a candle"
Old 01-31-2012, 08:28 AM
Email Reported As Spam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happinow View Post
It kinda seems to me that since TV is a golf cart community, better care would have been taken to make the roads safer for the carts. Riding on the side of the road in a cart lane seems almost as dangerous to me as riding a bike in the bike lane here in upstate NY. I would have thought that carts would have their own paths off road. I have seen some off road but not many. And at bigger intersections you'd think there would be a bridge? Just thinking of safety.
Precisely the point. I have lobbied against multi-modal paths from day one but obviously its for naught. So one has to be in a defense posture on a continuum here. this is coming from a guy that spent his entire career in helping insureds learn how to reduce their chance of an accident occurring
Old 01-31-2012, 08:57 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Cool

Call me an idiot, but I don't see the problem with someone being "courteous" and letting you go through an intersection; make a left turn; whatever. If waved through, I go immediately and wave a big "Thank You"...

Just saying . . .
Old 01-31-2012, 09:15 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmac1031 View Post
One of of the things that has made me apprehensive about coming to TV has been the number of Villagers who seem to be in a hurry to go in my opinion - no where in particular (rec centers, club activities, shopping, lunch, ) I have been surprised at the cars honking when someone proceed cautiously thru a gate.

I ride a bike a lot up north and while I know cars are bigger than me. I watch carefully. I try to obey the rules of the road. (not all bikers do this) There has been a great deal of emphasis on yielding to people in cross walks and on bikes. I am amazed when i see people ignore stopping for people in crosswalks. Reading here it sounds like there is an anger with anyone who has something smaller than a car getting in the way. Help me understand why more people are not considerate of others when in the car. (especially when TV bills itself as a golf cart friendly place..) I say to folks "RELAX! " Take your time, consider others and let everyone enjoy their retirement.. You earned it!!!
Hi jmac,
Although I personally haven't experienced Villagers honking and being rude and in a hurry, I'm sure it happens much too often; and that's a shame. (It might even happen "up north" too.)

The opinion that we are going "no where in particular (rec centers, club activities, shopping, lunch,) seems a bit insensitive. Golf, club activities, meeting someone for lunch, etc. are scheduled events for which considerate people would be on time. Just saying.

I thing the reason posters emphasis that other type vehicles must yield to autos (especially when TV bills itself as a golf cart friendly place) is, not only is that the rule here, but it is the safest approach to having managing a routine flow of auto, cart and bicycle traffic through the community.

Just my opinion. I could be wrong.
Old 01-31-2012, 09:43 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichieLion View Post
I sat at a crossing in my golf cart and purposely stayed where I was and waved the car on to accept his right of way and to proceed and they won't go. I then turn my head from him and look down and away and wait.

I've had other cart drivers honk and yell at me to proceed and I refuse to move. The car then proceeds and looks at me like I'm a complete idiot.

This has happened off the Morse Ave circle just at the top of Lake Sumter Landing with cars backed up into the circle as the idiot car driver is trying to give me the right of way.

Incredible.
Agreed
Further I have two other pet peeves
1. Walkers and runners in street cart lanes when pedestrian lanes are provided(known as sidewalks)
2. Bicycles riding on sidewalks
Old 01-31-2012, 10:02 AM
Veteran member

1. I've never been honked at during the close to 3 months I've been here
except once by a contractor truck in a hurry. Even accidentally I
stayed momentarily on a regular car lane with a golf cart turning left.
Cars behind me were patient. People in TV are generally polite and
patient.

2. At intersections when golf cart and cars merge, I noticed that if golf
carts are ahead a little, cars tend to slow down and let golf carts go
first. This courtesy, I have taken to heart and do the same. People
in TV are generally considerate.

3. At the exit gates where golf carts are crossing, I see cars slowing
down and signaling a cart to move on. I thank them and cross.
Especially when the carts are backed up, this is a nice gesture.
A car will not and should not come to a complete holt but this
allows to ease the cart congestion. I do that if I am in a car.

4. Coming into the gate and when the gate goes up, i know cars have
the right of way and will not stop for golf carts. My only concern is
for cars coming from visitor gate merging on to one lane. Who has
the right of way?
Old 01-31-2012, 10:50 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by memason View Post
Call me an idiot, but I don't see the problem with someone being "courteous" and letting you go through an intersection; make a left turn; whatever. If waved through, I go immediately and wave a big "Thank You"...

Just saying . . .
Idiot.

(You KNOW I'm just kidding!!!)

To me, it's a judgement call. If nobody's getting held up and the driver is just trying to be nice, I don't see it being an issue to go ahead.

Danged if you do, danged if you don't sometimes, though.

Bill
Old 01-31-2012, 11:03 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,351 Times in 2,390 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by memason View Post

Just saying . . .
The concern would be the driver behind the "courteous" driver not anticipating someone stopping, when they should not be stopping. A rear end collision so a golf cart can cross the intersection? Most golf cart crossings have a stop sign and a yield to vehicles sign........thats what all golf carts should do.
Old 01-31-2012, 02:58 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bogie Shooter View Post
The concern would be the driver behind the "courteous" driver not anticipating someone stopping, when they should not be stopping. A rear end collision so a golf cart can cross the intersection? Most golf cart crossings have a stop sign and a yield to vehicles sign........thats what all golf carts should do.
That's the way I see it too
Old 01-31-2012, 03:17 PM
Sage
Default Ouch!

Like I said before, why didn't they put a bridge over 466? I believe it's a highly traveled road and there's bound to be accidents. I just don't want to be in the golf cart when it does.
Old 01-31-2012, 03:21 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,506 Times in 1,906 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Like I said before, why didn't they put a bridge over 466? I believe it's a highly traveled road and there's bound to be accidents. I just don't want to be in the golf cart when it does.
There is a golf cart tunnel under it, Happinow. It is by Laurel Manor rec center.
Old 01-31-2012, 03:26 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
There is a golf cart tunnel under it, Happinow. It is by Laurel Manor rec center.
Oh. Apparently those gaits you are all talking about are the problem. I have been through the gait on Morse blvd (I believe) to get to Sumpter where the carts were backed up. It seemed like a real cluster.
Old 01-31-2012, 03:50 PM

Quote:
FYI,...there's also a golf cart tunnel under 466 right by Morse at the Lutheran Church,....You are going to have fun learning all the rec. paths here with your golf cart when you arrive,...new arrivals almost always end up on a road they're not supposed to be on,...we came in 2008,...it took us a few months to get a good handle on all the roads and rec. paths,....we took a lot of exploration type trips on our golf cart. I remember one day I ended up on El Camino Real on my golf cart,....when I realized I wasn't supposed to be there I promptly got the hell off !....And when you get lost,...EVERYONE offers to help you figure out where you're going, I actually had someone go out of there way and drive ahead of me one time to show me the way,.....most people are very understanding and helpful when you're first learning the ropes.
Old 01-31-2012, 03:54 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Cool

If you go to Google Maps and turn on the bicycle layer, you can see almost all of the cart trails...
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.