Cars always have the right of way at gates.

Closed Thread
Old 01-31-2012, 04:23 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill-n-Brillo View Post
To me, it's a judgement call. If nobody's getting held up and the driver is just trying to be nice, I don't see it being an issue to go ahead.

Danged if you do, danged if you don't sometimes, though.
That's the way I see it also. Yorio in post 22 says it well. Bogie Shooter in post 24 also has a good point. Bill's right---danged.
The unfortunate part is that not everyone has 'good' judgement even though they think they do.
But if one wants to stick to the rules then
maybe an additional sign for the cars reading: "DON'T yield to golf carts" is in order. That would complement the sign on the cart paths saying to yield to cars. That's called communication. (but that opens up a whole new subject!).
In reality, they're different!
Old 01-31-2012, 04:30 PM
Veteran member
Default Rules of the Road

I'm sure I will be corrected if I'm wrong, but isn't it fact that cars have right of way over golf carts, everywhere, at all times, in The Villages ?

I can't quote "chapter and verse" at the moment, but I know I read it somewhere.

It is incumbent upon those who live in and visit The Vilages to know the rules of the road.
Old 01-31-2012, 04:42 PM
Sage
Default Navigating roadways with carts

Sounds a little tricky to me. I'll drive the roads first by car to be sure my cart can go from point A to point B safely. It must be scary riding a cart on a road not permitted for carts. Going to have to put a big "L" on my forehead!
Old 01-31-2012, 04:46 PM
Email Reported As Spam

Quote:
Originally Posted by memason View Post
Call me an idiot, but I don't see the problem with someone being "courteous" and letting you go through an intersection; make a left turn; whatever. If waved through, I go immediately and wave a big "Thank You"...

Just saying . . .
memason: Anyone who can map out TV on google is anything but an idiot. But again drivers need to follow the rules of the road, right of way (ROW) being one. This afternoon I was entering my gate following a driver in a Benz. The driver pulled thru the gate could ony go straight and I followed after waving my card. The Benz hadn't travelled 20 feet before stoping abruptly to let a cart make a left hand turn. I again in two days witnessed a drivr set up a potential accident the previous being a woman making a right turn stopped in the middle of a turn to let a stopped cart go straight across the cart path on Morse.

I travel the cartpath before dawn and can't tell you the number of "almost" accidents.

Finally I appreciate and understand the expression "what are you in a hurry for , you are retired"? However, I find many residents who have so many activities planned in one day at various locations in TV. Beside which its plain human nature for many, irrespective of their age, not to slow down.
Old 01-31-2012, 04:47 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happinow View Post
Sounds a little tricky to me. I'll drive the roads first by car to be sure my cart can go from point A to point B safely. It must be scary riding a cart on a road not permitted for carts. Going to have to put a big "L" on my forehead!
Good news: Corvettes always have the right of way!
Drive slowly so everyone can see you in it.
In reality, they're different!
Old 01-31-2012, 05:04 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,357 Times in 2,392 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichieB View Post
I'm sure I will be corrected if I'm wrong, but isn't it fact that cars have right of way over golf carts, everywhere, at all times, in The Villages ?

I can't quote "chapter and verse" at the moment, but I know I read it somewhere.

It is incumbent upon those who live in and visit The Vilages to know the rules of the road.
No, cars do not have the right of way, everwhere. All travel by cars and carts should follow the "rules of the road". This means at a 4 way stop I have the same rights in my cart as you do in your car. Of course, defensive driving should be practiced here, as every where else.
Old 01-31-2012, 06:36 PM
Veteran member
Default Rudest Cities in the U.S.

Just noticed the infamous 2011 rankings of the ruddest cities in the U.S. No. 1 is NYC followed by Miami and DC with Orlando in the 10th spot. Two cities of Florida in the top 10. Most of the cities are in the Eastern Section of the country. Of the 86,000 Villagers wonder how many are from the Midwest and how many are Easterners(meaning all of the Atlantic coast). Do you think the majority percentages of one area over the other will make a difference of what we are discussing?
Old 01-31-2012, 09:18 PM
Sage

Quote:
Only a couple of roads within The Villages prohibit carts, Happi ....466, 466A and 441. ....and if it isn't permitted and you're on a cart, it can be dangerous and it's illegal also. There are cart paths along 466 and 466A, off the road. Fret not, driving around TV in a golf cart isn't difficult, you just have to pay attention to your surroundings and traffic, carts or cars, around you as you do when driving your auto. One thing I do suggest...make sure you have a map of the place...cart paths used to get from point A to point B might follow a slightly different route than when driving in a car. Also, a map opened, in a stopped golf cart, is a way to meet many Villagers. They'll stop to see if they can help you find where you need to go and often times, they'll lead you to your destination... Soon, you'll be the one helping out a perplexed and confused looking newbie...
Old 02-01-2012, 10:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bogie Shooter View Post
The concern would be the driver behind the "courteous" driver not anticipating someone stopping, when they should not be stopping. A rear end collision so a golf cart can cross the intersection? Most golf cart crossings have a stop sign and a yield to vehicles sign........thats what all golf carts should do.
I totally agree.
Old 02-01-2012, 10:20 AM
Veteran member
Default Morse/466 gate

I find that if I am in a cart turning left off Morse onto the cart path to go south, I have a real challenge with cars coming through the gate in both lanes. It is especially difficult at busy times and if the "guard" keeps letting people through without letting the gate go down completely. The drivers often speed up as soon as they get through and I have to guess which ones will do that. It also creates a challenge if there are carts backed up behind me as I hate holding them up. I am a fairly proactive driver, but I also want to be safe. Maybe as I age the ability to estimate speed starts lagging. Hope not!

LW888
Old 02-01-2012, 01:57 PM
Sage
Location: grew up in NYC and lived my adult life in Northern NJ; and now a resident of TV in Bonita
Send a message via AIM to RichieLion

Quote:
Originally Posted by gratton View Post
I may be wrong here But have you tried to cross Morris at the 466 gate, If cars didn't pause to let you cross over you would still be their, The guards at that gate open it and just wave the cars threw, If someone didn't stop to let the carts cross you would never cross their. Design flaw if you ask me.
A bit of an exaggeration there. The traffic light on Morse and 466 limits the time you would have to wait even if one car after another comes through the gates without much pause.

Patience is a virtue. Embrace it.
Old 02-04-2012, 03:35 AM
Gold member
Location: Bought Tamarind Grove, Mercer Island Wa, previously NH,FLA,Hi,CT,CA,GA, Hubby from Hawaii
Default Maybe too many are from Seattle

There is a running joke here about Pacific northwest drivers at 4 way stops.

You might get a laugh at our local commercial showing this. www.youtube.com/watch?v=5XdohA-4tQ0]4-Way Stop, You Go. No You Go. No You Go. Guy - YouTube

If clicking doesn't work you may have to past in.
Old 02-04-2012, 08:31 AM
Sage

I'll have to admit that being the "new kid on the block" isn't the most fun, cause we all like to know what we are doing. But, if it gives me a chance to meet new friends then I'm all for it! After a few months if I still need more friends I can always pull the map out again.....

Which reminds me, this could be a good way for singles to meet each other!
Old 02-04-2012, 02:06 PM
Sage

Quote:
I'll have to admit that being the "new kid on the block" isn't the most fun, cause we all like to know what we are doing. But, if it gives me a chance to meet new friends then I'm all for it! After a few months if I still need more friends I can always pull the map out again.....

Which reminds me, this could be a good way for singles to meet each other!
Another reason why I want to be in TV!

I'm embarrased to admit this, please don't yell at me, but in my newbie ignorance a couple of times when I rented last year (during the off season), I waved golf carts through if I was entering through a gate and there was not a car behind me. I won't do that again when I go back to TV. Mea culpa, mea culpa.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.