Cars and Carts

Closed Thread
Old 01-20-2015, 04:04 PM
Veteran member
Default Cars and Carts

This is the same story putting cars and carts in a close proximity. I have had a cart for several years but just in the last week quit working and drive around during the day. Well I have to say the way people drive and the chances they take. It is dangerous out there. Sumter landing is like wow. I think I ll stay safe and just stay home and drink. Sounds like a workable solution to me. Happy day
Old 01-20-2015, 04:07 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,506 Times in 1,906 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by virgind View Post
This is the same story putting cars and carts in a close proximity. I have had a cart for several years but just in the last week quit working and drive around during the day. Well I have to say the way people drive and the chances they take. It is dangerous out there. Sumter landing is like wow. I think I ll stay safe and just stay home and drink. Sounds like a workable solution to me. Happy day

Are you having a particularly bad day????
Old 01-20-2015, 04:10 PM
Veteran member

Nope having a great day why
Old 01-20-2015, 04:26 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
If your alternative is driving your car to Sumter Landing and drinking then thank you for staying home and drinking. You just made it safer down there.
Old 01-20-2015, 04:27 PM
Sage
Thanked 6,121 Times in 2,237 Posts

This morning, I witnessed a golf cart pull out of a side street, turning left, directly behind a car turning the same way, only problem was the car was pulling out in front of an on coming pickup truck and had sufficient room to do this safely, the golf cart did NOT. Fortunately, the pickup driver, hit the horn and brakes, and missed the golf cart.

What happened to STOPPING at stop signs!!!!!! Despite the general opinion, these signs are not suggestions.
Old 01-20-2015, 04:29 PM
Veteran member

You folks dont understand my point. I didnt realize traffic was as bad as it was during the day. I dont drink. The other thing why do people not like the traffic laws as written. If you have the right of way then take it. Danger danger danger
Old 01-20-2015, 08:16 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,562 Times in 508 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by villagetinker View Post
This morning, I witnessed a golf cart pull out of a side street, turning left, directly behind a car turning the same way, only problem was the car was pulling out in front of an on coming pickup truck and had sufficient room to do this safely, the golf cart did NOT. Fortunately, the pickup driver, hit the horn and brakes, and missed the golf cart.

What happened to STOPPING at stop signs!!!!!! Despite the general opinion, these signs are not suggestions.
I wrote a ticket to a kid once for blatantly running a stop sign and almost colliding with me in my marked unit; he took it to court and the Muni. Judge asked him if he knew what a STOP sign represented; the kid said "Yea, squeal tires on pavement!" Needless to say it got his license suspended for 30 days.
Old 01-20-2015, 08:24 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,562 Times in 508 Posts

Quote:
You folks dont understand my point. I didnt realize traffic was as bad as it was during the day. I dont drink. The other thing why do people not like the traffic laws as written. If you have the right of way then take it. Danger danger danger
I haven't been here long enough to experience it yet, but I understand that when our friends from north leave, the traffic will reduce significantly.
Old 01-20-2015, 09:41 PM
Veteran member

Last week a man died because for what ever reason turned left in front of a car. This man was in a golf cart. This is a very sad event. I use to drive this street for 7 years in a car and a golf cart upon occasion. Many times I would see a golf cart pull out in front of a car to either turn down a street or worse yet turn at the gate at 466 to get down the golf cart path. This area is probably the most dangerous place in The Villages in a golf cart. But not if the drivers of the carts would follow the traffic rules as they are written. Turning left and crossing over a solid white line does not give you the right of way. Dont pull out in front of a car let them pass you wont win the fight with the car. To all drivers stop trying to rewrite the traffic rules we learned years ago. If a cart has a stop sign dont stop to let them pass you may not see the traffic that he sees or you may back up traffic behind you and cause an accident behind you. Waving someone to drive through a stop sign could kill someone. Yes it very well could. Above all be careful these roads are very dangerous.
Old 01-20-2015, 09:45 PM
Gold member

Please don't Drink and Drive... Cart or Car
Old 01-20-2015, 10:03 PM
Veteran member

100% agree.. do not wave a cart through a stop sign . I have seen numerous close calls with cars stopping and waving the cart through via the path at Belevdere gate but the car is not taking into consideration that traffic is coming through the gate in the other direction.. it is an accident waiting to happen.
Old 01-20-2015, 10:16 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,317 Times in 871 Posts

Quote:
Last week a man died because for what ever reason turned left in front of a car. This man was in a golf cart. This is a very sad event. I use to drive this street for 7 years in a car and a golf cart upon occasion. Many times I would see a golf cart pull out in front of a car to either turn down a street or worse yet turn at the gate at 466 to get down the golf cart path. This area is probably the most dangerous place in The Villages in a golf cart. But not if the drivers of the carts would follow the traffic rules as they are written. Turning left and crossing over a solid white line does not give you the right of way. Dont pull out in front of a car let them pass you wont win the fight with the car. To all drivers stop trying to rewrite the traffic rules we learned years ago. If a cart has a stop sign dont stop to let them pass you may not see the traffic that he sees or you may back up traffic behind you and cause an accident behind you. Waving someone to drive through a stop sign could kill someone. Yes it very well could. Above all be careful these roads are very dangerous.
Actually I appreciate when a car waves me through.....that's one less lane of traffic I need to worry about and can concentrate on the cars going through the gates. I usually assume the person doing the waving is also a cart driver and understands the issues. We're talking seconds here, not enough to create a back up and if someone rear ends another one in the line, it's their fault.....which is also what we were taught. I also assume that those don't stop are in a hurry to go nowhere, but just can't resist.

Berks County Pennsylvania
Old 01-20-2015, 10:25 PM
Gold member

Just my opinion I think it can be crazy out there driving around in your car or your golf cart. There are too many people behind the wheel that literally pay no attention to the laws of the road. They act like they are the only ones on the highway! I constantly see foolishness.
I've said it before and I'll continue to say it, when I go out to do errands, whether it be in the car or golf cart, and I return home not having been run into or been in a mishap due to someone else being foolish then I consider it a bonus day.
I live on a very busy street on a curve that approaches a stop sign and everyday I see cars passing golf carts & carts passing carts and yes I have witnessed cars passing cars on this curve. I'd like to know what the foolish driver thinks he/she is gaining.
Please people, use your heads, use common sense, abide by the laws of the road and PLEASE use BLINKERS.
Old 01-20-2015, 10:35 PM
Sage

PLEASE use BLINKERS.

TV drivers use blinkers all the time. They just can't hear them so they don't turn them off until it's time to turn the other way. Proceed at your own risk.
Old 01-21-2015, 08:30 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoMar View Post
Actually I appreciate when a car waves me through.....that's one less lane of traffic I need to worry about and can concentrate on the cars going through the gates. I usually assume the person doing the waving is also a cart driver and understands the issues. We're talking seconds here, not enough to create a back up and if someone rear ends another one in the line, it's their fault.....which is also what we were taught. I also assume that those don't stop are in a hurry to go nowhere, but just can't resist.
The problem with cars waving carts through stop signs is not the time involved, but the risk the cart driver will start to assume that the cart has the right of way. I see this at the gate to my village all the time. Car stops and waves the cart out ignoring that there are two lanes of cars coming into the village. Florida law that requires vehicles to stop for pedestrians in a crosswalk does not apply to carts. Wait until it is safe to cross.

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.