Cart death

Closed Thread
Old 07-29-2017, 06:25 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,884 Times in 2,430 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by manaboutown View Post
One of her friends was quoted in the news report "Shelly was a stranger to nobody." This can be interpreted in many ways. IMHO she may have had a wild side, perhaps a reputation for engaging in somewhat risky behaviors with strangers...
Let's see, recently married, goes out with sister, drinks too much, (who knows what was in the drinks?) leaves with person (man) she just meant too drunk to brace one self in golf cart with another drunk. Pretty irresponsible to me. But, this is where alcohol or drug problem can get you.

Bottom line no matter how educated, well off, or rich you are you can make stupid mistakes when inebriated. Just really sad!
Old 07-29-2017, 07:31 AM
Gold member
Thanked 1,314 Times in 383 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topspinmo View Post
Let's see, recently married, goes out with sister, drinks too much, (who knows what was in the drinks?) leaves with person (man) she just meant too drunk to brace one self in golf cart with another drunk. Pretty irresponsible to me. But, this is where alcohol or drug problem can get you.

Bottom line no matter how educated, well off, or rich you are you can make stupid mistakes when inebriated. Just really sad!
True, alcohol does make you lose judgement but, if you already have a "wild side" it will only make you worse.

Not blaming the victim but she certainly has some responsibility in her own death.
Old 07-29-2017, 07:43 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonH57 View Post
Her death is totally tragic. An unfortunate combination of possibly rushed poor decisions due to intoxication and influence. A few friends and I were discussing this incident as with other incidents involving golf carts Wednesday night and someone mentioned her passing. Despite whatever her decisions she may have made an irresponsible adult was behind the wheel of the golf cart and thought only about his self preservation. Prayers to her family and friends.
I agree with every word. I read her obituary and comments made by people who knew her. She was a usually responsible woman who worked every day and was visiting her parents from Ft. Myers.

Decent people don't drag someone to a flower bed and leave them there. Moments may have counted with her head injury.

Terribly wrong and sad in my view.

Last edited by graciegirl; 07-29-2017 at 10:57 AM.
Old 07-29-2017, 08:16 AM
Sage
Thanked 12,911 Times in 4,141 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gpsma View Post
True, alcohol does make you lose judgement but, if you already have a "wild side" it will only make you worse.

Not blaming the victim but she certainly has some responsibility in her own death.
As usual, we just don't know enough to pass judgement.

Define "wild side"----likes to drink?, life of the party?, takes silly risks?, promiscuous?

Define "drunk"-----.08?, .12?, .31?

However, I think we can all agree that dragging her out into the bushes constitutes, in my opinion, depraved indifference, and I hope they throw the book at the driver.

Last edited by golfing eagles; 07-29-2017 at 09:52 AM.
Old 07-29-2017, 08:33 AM
Sage
Location: NJ, NM, SC, PA, DC, MD, VA, NY, CA, ID and finally FL.
Thanked 4,612 Times in 1,760 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfing eagles View Post
Re-read your post but substitute the thread title "cart rape" for "cart death". I get your point, but it is dangerously close to prosecuting the victim. Are you a criminal defense attorney, since a statement like that might be heard when cross examining the victim?
No, I was never involved in criminal defense or prosecution for that matter. The man's post accident acts of dragging her off the street and abandoning her were heinous and inhumane with total disregard for her life. I am just wondering whether the lady may have been a little negligent, inebriated and/or otherwise careless. Hadn't she had a long evening of drinking herself and voluntarily gotten into a golf cart to be driven by an inebriated man she had just met that night in a bar?

The outcome is tragic, sad and grievous, especially for her family.

“To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead.” Thomas Paine
Old 07-29-2017, 08:36 AM
Sage

Quote:
No, I was never involved in criminal defense or prosecution for that matter. The man's post accident acts of dragging her off the street and abandoning her were heinous and inhumane with total disregard for her life. I am just wondering whether the lady may have been a little negligent, inebriated and/or otherwise careless. Hadn't she had a long evening of drinking herself and voluntarily gotten into a golf cart to be driven by an inebriated strange man?

The outcome is tragic, sad and grievous, especially for her family.
I agree with you---if she never got in that cart she'd still be alive. My point was that we just don't know why she got in that cart or what her condition truly was. That, and my opinion that the driver is a SPOS.

Last edited by golfing eagles; 07-29-2017 at 09:51 AM.
Old 07-29-2017, 08:44 AM
Sage
Location: NJ, NM, SC, PA, DC, MD, VA, NY, CA, ID and finally FL.
Thanked 4,612 Times in 1,760 Posts

Quote:
I agree with you---if she never got in that cart she'd still be alive. My point was that we just don't know why she got in that cart or what her condition truly was. That, and the driver being a SPOS.
That's it in a nutshell.

“To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead.” Thomas Paine

Last edited by manaboutown; 07-29-2017 at 08:52 AM.
Old 07-29-2017, 09:45 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,954 Times in 1,160 Posts

Here again is an adult child living and partying in TV while the parents turn a blind eye. Just give him the keys to the golf cart, at least he won't kill himself or somebody else, is probably what they're thinking. Now, the parents will probably have to mortgage their home while they hire some Orlando lawyers to keep him out of prison. Someday Villagers with adult children will get the message. The Villages is not their playground while they try and get their life back together. If you see this guy out drinking call 911, he has allegedly caused the death of another person while driving a cart in TV intoxicated.

The Villages Florida

Last edited by John_W; 07-29-2017 at 10:40 AM. Reason: wording
Old 07-29-2017, 09:50 AM
Sage

///

Last edited by golfing eagles; 07-29-2017 at 10:43 AM.
Old 07-29-2017, 10:15 AM
Sage

Quote:
Please be careful. A post like this one may be fraught with legal issues.
You're right, he's innocent until proven guilty. However, with his own comments of why he didn't call the police was because he had been drinking, I think it's safe to say he has enough of his own problems.

I also think back to an earlier thread where a poster said she was sure she had seen him earlier in the day drunk in the Traverse Publix, and I posted the phrase, 'See Something - Say Something', why didn't you call the police then?, and I got no response. We all have to take a hand in controlling our community, and this message board is a great place to start.
Old 07-29-2017, 10:22 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_W View Post
You're right, he's innocent until proven guilty. However, with his own comments of why he didn't call the police was because he had been drinking, I think it's safe to say he has enough of his own problems.

I also think back to an earlier thread where a poster said she was sure she had seen him earlier in the day drunk in the Traverse Publix, and I posted the phrase, 'See Something - Say Something', why didn't you call the police then?, and I got no response. We all have to take a hand in controlling our community, and this message board is a great place to start.
I have no love for this guy, I already made my opinion known. I'm just looking out for you. On a public forum, phrases such as "In my opinion", "It is possible that...", "It has been reported", and "allegedly" go a long way toward self preservation.
Old 07-29-2017, 10:41 AM
Sage

Quote:
I have no love for this guy, I already made my opinion known. I'm just looking out for you. On a public forum, phrases such as "In my opinion", "It is possible that...", "It has been reported", and "allegedly" go a long way toward self preservation.
OK Doc, I took your advice and added allegedly, so delete your copy of my post with the photo.
Old 07-29-2017, 10:44 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_W View Post
OK Doc, I took your advice and added allegedly, so delete your copy of my post with the photo.
gone
Old 07-29-2017, 10:48 AM
Gold member
Thanked 1,775 Times in 514 Posts

Quote:
One of her friends was quoted in the news report "Shelly was a stranger to nobody." This can be interpreted in many ways. IMHO she may have had a wild side, perhaps a reputation for engaging in somewhat risky behaviors with strangers...
Lee County Sheriff's Office | Lee County, Florida | CrimeActivity | InmateDetail

Tragic all the way around for all involved.
Old 07-29-2017, 11:19 AM

One fact no one has commented upon is that TV has no close by trauma center. This is a total shame with such a large population and growing.
How does a quality center get established? Guess it needs a hospital for immediate potential surgeries? Or can a free standing trauma center contain a surgical suite equipped to handle most trauma emergencies?
Tradewinds land would be a good location for this much needed service.
Closed Thread

Tags
lady, involved, passed, news, fox

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.