Cart Path Striping

Closed Thread
Old 01-18-2015, 11:08 AM
Location: Lima,OH;St.Paul,MN;Vallejo,CA;Pennsacola,FL;Fremont,OH,Naperville,IL,Sylvania,OH,Fernandina

I don't care if the paths are striped or not. But face it, striping will not correct the real problem....the drivers. Maybe the best answer is to require vision testing for golf cart drivers. If you can't see well enough to navigate the paths you shouldn't be driving.

Last edited by Big O; 01-18-2015 at 12:03 PM. Reason: correct wording
Old 01-18-2015, 03:11 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,317 Times in 871 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by PennBF View Post
I am thankful to those who understand the rationale behind the striping and have taken the time to express their support. I have not seen an input that counters the logic in support of this safety meassure. Regarding the term "illogical" as being rude. Actually it is a characterization that supports a certain line of argument and is definitely not "rude". There would be no college debate teams if this were to be construed as "rude or disrespectable".
I would hope more will see the advantages of having more safety for carts than status quo or a form of patch safety to satisfy some minimum addition.
Which is exactly what I meant.....you are thankful to those that understand the rational and have accepted no input to those that find it unnecessary. That's what's rude.....in college debates the other side is respected and not admonished because one side believes they are illogical. If you feel strongly, then take the lead, assemble your constituents and become political active and vocal at the meetings. I would believe that if you assembled the facts, accidents, injuries, damages etc they would listen. Here it's just an opinion.

Berks County Pennsylvania
Old 01-18-2015, 03:23 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,317 Times in 871 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_W View Post
Take a sheet of paper and write down 5 reasons painting stripes can be bad, then write 5 reasons it is good. The simple answer is, if it didn't improve safety then why do we paint lines on our streets and highways.
You will notice that they also put white stripes on the edges. When I learned to drive, back in the early 60's I was taught that you judge your position by the sides of the road. Besides, the MMP's aren't roads. Just to be clear, I have nothing against stripping the road, just don't know that it will make that much of a difference. I agree with other poster, the issues are really the drivers, not the paths. Just because you can do 20 MPH doesn't mean you should always do 20 MPH.

Berks County Pennsylvania
Old 01-18-2015, 03:30 PM
Default Multi Modul Path.....yah, right!

My friend and I just had a very interesting experience on the "multi-modul path" over by 466 and Belevedere. Two bicyclists
(man and women) were riding in front of us. My friend passed them as they were the slower traffic. When we came to the stop the man intentionally hit her from behind and the woman yelled at her. My friend did nothing wrong. There was plenty of time to pass. No wonder no one wants to share the road with these so called "jerks". I told the lady we passed her because she was the slower traffic and she flipped us off and yelled "go to h---". NICE, real class!
Old 01-18-2015, 03:46 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,751 Times in 1,386 Posts

I would say that if you have not driven the MMP where the stripes are one has nothing to offer but an unfounded opinion.

I drove to go to Oakleigh today and encountered the stripes for the first time. There is absolutely no doubt what so ever the center line does in fact have more people staying to their side of the road. It is also obvious it induces one to slow down on the curves....they can no longer go as fast as possible and swing way out to compensate for the speed.

My conclusion after a day time encounter is to stripe all MMPathways.

I will formulate an opinion that the driving at night would only further convince one of the value of the striping for the sake of safety.

Now if you have not driven where the stripes are...leave the keyboard for a few minutes and go get a firsy hand experience!!

I would say these words to any of the development folks....there is no way they can have a valid position if they have not driven both day and night!!
Old 01-18-2015, 03:56 PM
Sage
Location: Illinois, Tennesee, Florida, Village of Caroline, Sanibel, LaBelle
Thanked 1,312 Times in 545 Posts

When its raining and dark, you might want to consider staying home or "God forbid" take your car. That said----(as already pointed out) the problem with attempting to be more objective on this issue is the lack of data. I don't think there is any collected.

Perhaps stripping would help---the cost is minimal so why not? I would like to see more "things" done the democratic way---TAKE A VOTE of all the residents in the CDD. And require a 60% majority for action.
Old 01-18-2015, 05:21 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by handyman View Post
I believe the best answer would be stripping the sides with white highway paint .

These white stripes on the sides of roads are often referred to as "fog lines". They are very useful in fog or in heavy rains to keep you on the road.
Old 01-18-2015, 05:29 PM

I think that center line striping is a total waste of money. If any striping is necessary, it would be on the sides of the path.
Old 01-18-2015, 05:34 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 1,041 Times in 368 Posts

Taking a vote of everyone is not the democratic way in this case. We have a form of government here with the CDD's. And in each district there are representatives that were elected by the villagers in each district. After THEY receive input from residents concerning various topics, THEY will decide, we elected them to do just that.
And I think those duly elected, in most cases view the question of MMP striping with apprehension. It's striping now, then what is next? Speed bumps, street lights on the paths, flashing caution lights at every entrance to the tunnels, etc.??? The way it works is let your Reps know how you feel, lobby them if you like, then accept their decision.
Old 01-18-2015, 08:05 PM
Platinum member

Bagboy makes a good point, the decision should be made by the.CCDs. In this thead there is a posting of how to get ahold of the representative for your area. If you are in favor of the stripes let them know. That being said, what is it going to take to get people to act? Posting on this forum is good that many views are being expressed. Will it take a terrible accident? Safety of all using the multimodal paths should be a priority. Much more than say an indoor pool....
Old 01-18-2015, 09:48 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Thumbs down OK

I am not concerned for my well being driving the cart paths as I feel rather confident I will be a good enough driver to be safe. Having said this I am not as sure for the residents who are vision challenged, or not really good at navigating
in poor weather conditions or after dark or during the evening when the bars close and there are some "drunks" on the paths. I actually care for our residents and their safety and believe striping will give them an added protection. So far I have not seen one alternative that would provide more maximum protection. I remain convinced there continues to be a risk that is being argued for reasons i can't understand.
Old 01-18-2015, 10:27 PM
Platinum member

The striping was done in the past, it didn't last long. It turned out to be a lost cause.
Old 01-19-2015, 07:45 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Cool

I honestly don't understand the reluctance of some residents to striping the MM trails. Certainly, there are some that never go out after dark in their carts...

By all estimates, we have approximately 30,000 to 50,000 golf carts running around TV. These carts are driven by full time [long time] residents, Full time [new] residents, visitors, Lifestyle visitors, seasonal residents and sometimes, our Grandchildren, who are old enough to drive. There simply is no place like this, anywhere in the world.

Currently, there are lots of places with stripes or reflectors....the Morse bridge has a stripe all the way across. Does it not help keep folks on their side of the road? Do you not feel a little safer, especially after dark? The wooden bridge by Morse and 466 has reflectors down the middle and on either side to make visibility better on that bridge at night....a huge help!

So, slowly, we are getting striping or reflectors, but in a piecemeal fashion. I'd prefer that TV look a little more planned and consistent from one CDD to the other.

I have contacted my CDD Supervisor with my wishes, I recommend you do the same, if you truly want change.
Old 01-19-2015, 10:10 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Question Take El Camino

I just drove (by car) down El Camino Blvd and it has stripes down the middle of the road. Reduce the car sizes by about 65-75%, build a road for them and you have El Camino for golf carts. Does anyone know the difference as to why it is good for that Blvd and not for golf carts that pass within a foot or so on the cart paths at night and in the rain without any markers? The real question is why the Village Management and Developer is against them? It would honestly be helpful to have this answer since it is absolutely not obvious?
Old 01-19-2015, 10:23 AM

On a semi-related note: Why is there no signage anywhere in the entire region related to golf cart speed limits? I have been given to understand that the limit on shared highways is 19 mph for non street legal carts, but have read it nowhere. I know for a fact (Speedometer app) that the last time I had my cart serviced by Villages Golf Cars, the governor was set to 25-26 mph by the tech! How does a renter who gets the keys to the rental and to the golf cart know how much it could cost them to be ticketed doing 24 on a public road? If ticketed, it would seem to me that it would be strange for a judge to fine one for obeying the only posted speed limit posted anywhere in the Villages , i.e. 35 mph. If the 19 mph number is correct, I can assure you that it is the most violated law in Sumter County, lol!
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.