Cart Path Striping

Closed Thread
Old 01-20-2015, 09:23 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Question Have to ask

I have to ask. If white painted edges work best, why do the highways have center painted stripes? The cart paths are nothing more than a smaller highway that accomondate smaller vehicles. Unfortunately in most cases the distance between passing cart vehicles is tighter and less than vehicles on the highways which makes it more dangerous and more needed. The question as to why there is a decision by the Villages not to install center stripes is still unanswered with a sound reason.
Old 01-20-2015, 09:31 AM
Veteran member

From what I have read ..... those districts that have chosen to NOT stripe MMT's it is due to cost (both initial and on going maintenance) So, it would seem unlikely that they would be inclined to put continuous double outside lines if they are not willing to have a center stripe done.
Old 01-20-2015, 10:06 AM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PennBF View Post
I have to ask. If white painted edges work best, why do the highways have center painted stripes? The cart paths are nothing more than a smaller highway that accomondate smaller vehicles. Unfortunately in most cases the distance between passing cart vehicles is tighter and less than vehicles on the highways which makes it more dangerous and more needed. The question as to why there is a decision by the Villages not to install center stripes is still unanswered with a sound reason.
Reflective outside edges remind drivers where the edges of the road are. Many people will tend to stay towards the center of the paths while driving on them at night causing carts to pass very close. Drivers are uncertain at night ,fearful of running into something because they can't see the edge of the path. Is there much of a problem in the daytime ,I can't answer that.If you go to the villages online news there is a lot of articles on this subject.
Old 01-20-2015, 10:12 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,748 Times in 1,385 Posts

how many have contacted their representatives to make them aware of what you would like?

The typical answer would be not many or around 20%.
Old 01-20-2015, 10:14 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,349 Times in 2,389 Posts

That doesn't take much more effort than posting & reposting on TOTV!
Old 01-20-2015, 10:44 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Cool

With so many MM paths and golf carts, I'm beginning to think we need a "Path Commissioner" to oversee MM Paths throughout The Villages, including the budget to maintain and/or change the paths to suit the situation. This would take decisions, like striping the MM Paths, out of the hands of the CDD's and might provide a more consistent look and feel throughout the Villages.

Worth exploring?
Old 01-20-2015, 01:07 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Exclamation Cart Path Commission

This is a good idea however somehow it would have to be totally independent from the Village Mgt. and Developer. It is my understanding they are behind the Supervisor's vote to deny the stripes. As regardst the costs it is estimated to be $1.25 per home every 5 years.That certaintly should not be a critical path in approving the safety it would provide.
Old 01-20-2015, 01:24 PM

I thought I read somewhere that a reason for opposing the striping is that it would make the Multi Modal Paths appear to be more like a Golf Cart Path. That would make it more dangerous for pedestrians when they encounter golf cart drivers who either forgot or did not know that pedestrians have just as much right to use the paths as carts do.

I am not arguing one way or the other, just stating what I believe was an argument against striping.
Old 01-20-2015, 01:48 PM
Veteran member
Question striping

Quote:
Originally Posted by PennBF View Post
It would be interesting as to how many residents would like the cart paths striped in order to allow for better vision at night and in the rain.? As I understand it the Developer's people, (e.g.Supervisors, Village Mgt, etc) would not like it. I would not speculate as to why since I can see no reason for their denial of this critical safety requirement. To draw an analogy it would be like taking all striping off of the major highways becasue they "don't look" real good. How many driving home at night in the dark or rain feel safe trying to keep your cart on the path. District 4 did stripe their cart paths and I first noticed it one evening when driving our cart through Dist. 4 and it seemed so much safer. What is the motivation for this denial of a critical safety need? It can't be costs since the estimated cost is about 25 cents for each household every 5 years. I am at a loss to understand why this need is being killed by the Village Management or the Developer? Weird and strange no matter how you look at it. Can anyone point to a valid reason bearing in mind the same logic would be used to wipe off all striping on major roads/highways??
The person against the striping is Janet Tutt. Her reasoning is the striping would make the paths look like they were designed for only golf carts and not walkers, bikes, etc. I don't agree because if the small cost saves 1 accident, it is worth it.
Old 01-20-2015, 02:01 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,562 Times in 508 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big O View Post
I don't care if the paths are striped or not. But face it, striping will not correct the real problem....the drivers. Maybe the best answer is to require vision testing for golf cart drivers. If you can't see well enough to navigate the paths you shouldn't be driving.
......and they shouldn't drink and drive, and they shouldn't drive thru the gates, and they shouldn't drive too close to the greens or tee boxes, and they shouldn't left turn from the extreme right side of the street and pull in front of someone, and they shouldn't play chicken with pedestrians or bicyclists; there are MANY more things they shouldn't do, there's no way that people who can't see will quit driving cars or carts. IMHO, I'm all for striping, either his vis yellow stripes down the center or high vis white stripes on the outer boundaries of the MMP's; any one of those would tremendously help EVERYONE (not just the elderly) see the paths better.
Old 01-20-2015, 02:02 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,562 Times in 508 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by memason View Post
With so many MM paths and golf carts, I'm beginning to think we need a "Path Commissioner" to oversee MM Paths throughout The Villages, including the budget to maintain and/or change the paths to suit the situation. This would take decisions, like striping the MM Paths, out of the hands of the CDD's and might provide a more consistent look and feel throughout the Villages.

Worth exploring?
Sign me up.
Old 01-20-2015, 04:50 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Exclamation Can't Believe It

I can't believe Janet Tutt has hung her hat on the point that stripping would make the cart paths look more like cart paths as opposed to bikes, et al. Using that logic you would not stripe main roads, (e.g. El Camino, et al) as it would make them look like roads. HELLO, that is what they are !! I think biker's know how to ride a striped road and god forbid I am sure walkers know which side to walk on. We must be missing something as that logic is over the charts in being off the mark. I heard that in one area they took a poll on stripes and 90%+ were in favor of them . Even if this was off by 5-10% it still demonstrates that a minimum of 80% want stripes. Enough said.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.