Cart Path Striping

Closed Thread
Old 01-17-2015, 03:43 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Unhappy Cart Path Striping

It would be interesting as to how many residents would like the cart paths striped in order to allow for better vision at night and in the rain.? As I understand it the Developer's people, (e.g.Supervisors, Village Mgt, etc) would not like it. I would not speculate as to why since I can see no reason for their denial of this critical safety requirement. To draw an analogy it would be like taking all striping off of the major highways becasue they "don't look" real good. How many driving home at night in the dark or rain feel safe trying to keep your cart on the path. District 4 did stripe their cart paths and I first noticed it one evening when driving our cart through Dist. 4 and it seemed so much safer. What is the motivation for this denial of a critical safety need? It can't be costs since the estimated cost is about 25 cents for each household every 5 years. I am at a loss to understand why this need is being killed by the Village Management or the Developer? Weird and strange no matter how you look at it. Can anyone point to a valid reason bearing in mind the same logic would be used to wipe off all striping on major roads/highways??
Old 01-17-2015, 04:16 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Cool

I don't believe it's the "Developer" or the District management that are the issue.

It's the individual CDD supervisors that can't agree. Some of these folks are elected by us to represent us. So, for the most part, I think it's a resident issue of not wanting to spend the money.

However, The District would rather put white strips on the edges of the cart paths, rather than a center stripe. I believe that would be better too, for visibility at night and in the rain.

I sent a note to my CDD Supervisor expressing my displeasure of not having striping, as in CDD 4.

Perhaps, if everyone contacted their individual CDD representation via email, something might happen.
Old 01-17-2015, 04:23 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by memason View Post
I don't believe it's the "Developer" or the District management that are the issue.

It's the individual CDD supervisors that can't agree. Some of these folks are elected by us to represent us. So, for the most part, I think it's a resident issue of not wanting to spend the money.

However, The District would rather put white strips on the edges of the cart paths, rather than a center stripe. I believe that would be better too, for visibility at night and in the rain.

I sent a note to my CDD Supervisor expressing my displeasure of not having striping, as in CDD 4.

Perhaps, if everyone contacted their individual CDD representation via email, something might happen.
Totally agree with the reflective white stripping on the edges so you can see the outer edge. Remember keep to the right. The yellow lines in the middle won't last and really won't help as much. Look what happened to all the reflectors that were paced in the middle. How many of them disappeared. I would support the outer edge put thing the yellow is a waste of money. JMO
Old 01-17-2015, 04:29 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,317 Times in 871 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by skip0358 View Post
Totally agree with the reflective white stripping on the edges so you can see the outer edge. Remember keep to the right. The yellow lines in the middle won't last and really won't help as much. Look what happened to all the reflectors that were paced in the middle. How many of them disappeared. I would support the outer edge put thing the yellow is a waste of money. JMO
I agree.....at night and in rain I drive by the outer edge....that makes the striping in the middle less important. I will concede that there are those that can't or feel uncomfortable using the outer edge as a guide. That's also one of the reasons drivers stay in the left lane on highways, they feel more comfortable looking out the left side of their car.

Berks County Pennsylvania
Old 01-17-2015, 04:33 PM

I like the idea of the reflective white stripes on the sides because at night or in the rain you will know where the edges are. And to the supervisors of CDD 7, if you are representing us how about sending out a poll to get our opinion on this.
Old 01-17-2015, 04:42 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by skip0358 View Post
Look what happened to all the reflectors that were paced in the middle. How many of them disappeared. JMO
It seems that they were glued down with a glue that doesn't work. Many slipped or slid out of place. They need a nail or screw to hold them. I liked them for the sharp turns that helped drivers stay in their own lane.
Old 01-17-2015, 05:47 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,361 Times in 2,394 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by HMLRHT1 View Post
I like the idea of the reflective white stripes on the sides because at night or in the rain you will know where the edges are. And to the supervisors of CDD 7, if you are representing us how about sending out a poll to get our opinion on this.
Ever think of actually contacting them?
Old 01-17-2015, 06:54 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Cool

Anyone wanting to contact their District Supervisor can go here, look up your district and then send an email to the chairman...

VCDD Your Community District
Old 01-17-2015, 07:35 PM
Platinum member
Location: born Urbana,Il lived in Urbana Ohio for 65 years a house in Lake Deaton

Let’s forget about striping the roads and instead invite Google to test their Google Self-Driving Car in TV using our golf carts instead of cars. It will happen sooner than later.
Old 01-17-2015, 09:23 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Question If we were

If we were to put white stripes down the side as suggested by some including I believe the Village Management and Supervisiors then taking that logic as a basis for the decision we would have the Highway Dept.s just paint the side of the Highways and remove the stripes down the center. That is not only illogical but totally opposite to what the US Highway system has adopted. As far as the cost is considered I would restate that the cost to CCD 4 is around 25 cents for each house hold every 5 years. Making cost a factor in the decision is not really something that should even enter into the equation?
As I have said, I can't for the life of me understand why there is such objections from the Village and the Supervisiors. It is folly to deny that the Supervisiors are spokespersons for the Village Management and the Developer. In fact the Village manager attended some CDD meetings and spoke out against the center stripes. That should speak for itself.
Old 01-17-2015, 10:10 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,317 Times in 871 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by PennBF View Post
If we were to put white stripes down the side as suggested by some including I believe the Village Management and Supervisiors then taking that logic as a basis for the decision we would have the Highway Dept.s just paint the side of the Highways and remove the stripes down the center. That is not only illogical but totally opposite to what the US Highway system has adopted. As far as the cost is considered I would restate that the cost to CCD 4 is around 25 cents for each house hold every 5 years. Making cost a factor in the decision is not really something that should even enter into the equation?
As I have said, I can't for the life of me understand why there is such objections from the Village and the Supervisiors. It is folly to deny that the Supervisiors are spokespersons for the Village Management and the Developer. In fact the Village manager attended some CDD meetings and spoke out against the center stripes. That should speak for itself.
Intermodal paths aren't highways and carts aren't doing 80 MPH.....you might want to take a ride outside TV and some of the non-highway roads....not all are stripped. You want stripes, others don't think they are needed and that is what the debate is about. The only thing lacking on either side is facts about the accident rate, injury rate, number of vehicles that have run off the road etc. So far, the discussion on here is subjective....as I suspect are the discussions at the CDD meetings. Also, accusing people of being illogical because they disagree with you is a tad rude.....as I remember, Spock was the only credible authority on logic Captain......

Berks County Pennsylvania
Old 01-18-2015, 01:03 AM

I believe the best answer would be stripping the sides with white highway paint ,get rid of those reflectors ,there are people that are so afraid of running the reflectors over that they force me to dodge to the side when I am walking or jogging,many times there are shrubs where am I to go, If you are a runner you know what I mean,these are multimodal trails . Put up signage to remind people that these ARE multimodal trails and not golfcart paths as the signs state on the trails around Brownwood.
Old 01-18-2015, 10:03 AM

7:28 tee time on Evans Prairie, Santo Domingo to the golf course. 45 minute trip to arrive by 7:15 am. Foggy, dark, poor cart lights, no stripes on the cart path. Try that and then tell me we don't need a well marked cart path! It's scary!!
Old 01-18-2015, 10:16 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,954 Times in 1,160 Posts

Take a sheet of paper and write down 5 reasons painting stripes can be bad, then write 5 reasons it is good. The simple answer is, if it didn't improve safety then why do we paint lines on our streets and highways.
Old 01-18-2015, 10:27 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Lightbulb Thankful

I am thankful to those who understand the rationale behind the striping and have taken the time to express their support. I have not seen an input that counters the logic in support of this safety meassure. Regarding the term "illogical" as being rude. Actually it is a characterization that supports a certain line of argument and is definitely not "rude". There would be no college debate teams if this were to be construed as "rude or disrespectable".
I would hope more will see the advantages of having more safety for carts than status quo or a form of patch safety to satisfy some minimum addition.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.