Cart Path Striping

Closed Thread
Old 01-19-2015, 10:25 AM
Soaring Eagle member

As a recent user of the striped cart paths and the non-striped cart paths, I like the striped paths. It seems to help when passing oncoming carts. Both drivers know immediately where their path ends and the others begins. If it works for automobiles, it should work for golf carts. I really don't get how some can be so adamantly against it.
Old 01-19-2015, 10:30 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubblehead1026 View Post
On a semi-related note: Why is there no signage anywhere in the entire region related to golf cart speed limits? I have been given to understand that the limit on shared highways is 19 mph for non street legal carts, but have read it nowhere. I know for a fact (Speedometer app) that the last time I had my cart serviced by Villages Golf Cars, the governor was set to 25-26 mph by the tech! How does a renter who gets the keys to the rental and to the golf cart know how much it could cost them to be ticketed doing 24 on a public road? If ticketed, it would seem to me that it would be strange for a judge to fine one for obeying the only posted speed limit posted anywhere in the Villages , i.e. 35 mph. If the 19 mph number is correct, I can assure you that it is the most violated law in Sumter County, lol!
I have also wondered about the golf cart speed limit. Never did understand how an automobile and another vehicle type could have different speed limits on the same roadway. Do bicycles, or roller blades, or motorcycles have different speed limits, also?
Old 01-19-2015, 11:00 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 1,041 Times in 368 Posts

Sure not doubting your Villages Golf Cars experience. I recently had my cart serviced there and they called me and said they would NOT service my cart until the governor was adjusted down to around 20 mph, which I told them to do. I think the tech might get into hot water if this is disclosed to his boss. As for Villages rentals, seems to me they are set at 9 mph. Well, maybe a little more.
Old 01-19-2015, 11:06 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bagboy View Post
Sure not doubting your Villages Golf Cars experience. I recently had my cart serviced there and they called me and said they would NOT service my cart until the governor was adjusted down to around 20 mph, which I told them to do. I think the tech might get into hot water if this is disclosed to his boss. As for Villages rentals, seems to me they are set at 9 mph. Well, maybe a little more.
If that's their policy, they won't be getting my business.
Old 01-19-2015, 11:17 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,751 Times in 1,386 Posts

To this day I have yet to hear why the extra 2-5 mph above the LEGAL golf cart speed limit is such a neccessity for some? Every cart that ever passes me I usually am right behind them at the next stop/cross walk.

At 60 mph at the end of an hour one would be one mile ahead. At 1/3 that speed (20 mph) one would be approximately 1500 feet ahead. At 24 mph (4 mph over the LEGAL speed limit) one would be a mile ahead.......after ONE HOUR!!!!! And most of us travel maybe 15 -30 minutes in our carts going from point A-B!!!!!!

So breaking the law and going faster than everybody else while passing to get one cart ahead by the next stop light is needed WHY?

Hat's off to the service departments that refuse to service ILLEGAL carts!
Old 01-19-2015, 01:56 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,317 Times in 871 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by outlaw View Post
I have also wondered about the golf cart speed limit. Never did understand how an automobile and another vehicle type could have different speed limits on the same roadway. Do bicycles, or roller blades, or motorcycles have different speed limits, also?
I suspect it's because other motorized vehicles have federal safety standards that must be met. Golf carts don't have crash tests, braking standards or visibility standards. Bikes and roller blades or skate boards are not motorized. Was at a presentation by the sheriff's department last week.....first offense being handed out for speeding is $560.00 fine, second offense is another fine and up to 6 months in jail (same as electrical box activity). Insurance may not pay if an accident occurs and the governor is set above what is needed for 20 MPH. Having said all that, I have yet to see or experience enforcement and suspect that unless it is tied to DUI the sheriff doesn't pay a lot of attention to golf cart speed.

Berks County Pennsylvania
Old 01-19-2015, 01:58 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by outlaw View Post
If that's their policy, they won't be getting my business.
Probably a liability issue. Since everyone sues everyone and they know the laws and they willfully work on an illegal cart they could be drawn in when the lawsuit begins.

Old 01-19-2015, 02:15 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,361 Times in 2,394 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoMar View Post
I suspect it's because other motorized vehicles have federal safety standards that must be met. Golf carts don't have crash tests, braking standards or visibility standards. Bikes and roller blades or skate boards are not motorized. Was at a presentation by the sheriff's department last week.....first offense being handed out for speeding is $560.00 fine, second offense is another fine and up to 6 months in jail (same as electrical box activity). Insurance may not pay if an accident occurs and the governor is set above what is needed for 20 MPH. Having said all that, I have yet to see or experience enforcement and suspect that unless it is tied to DUI the sheriff doesn't pay a lot of attention to golf cart speed.
Oh, but he does.

One person's golf cart speeding ticket story
Speed limit on the golf cart paths
speed limit enforcement
Florida Golf Cart Law
Golf Cart Traffic Tickets
Old 01-19-2015, 03:49 PM
Email Reported As Spam

The Florida Statue pertaining to unregistered motor vehicle speak to the issue of golf carts and their speed. So a golf cart not registered and traveling over 19.9mph is speeding and since that is the case posting a speed limit ona multi-modal path is redundant.

I travel often pre dawn and i can tell you the reflectors alone are a God sent. Reflector at either edge of a multi-modal path wold be a benefit. A center line also would be helpful. Here is why. Pre-dawn or at dusk and beyond headlights from golf carts and autos on adjacent roads (Buena Vista, etc) can blind a cart driver. Indeed I have been so blinded that a pedestrian disappears momentarily. It is why I never travel more than 16mph with little daylight.

an often sight is a golf cart driving practically in the middle of a multi-modal path. Why because the driver is accustom to pedestrian and does not want to stop behind them.

I recall one poster who claimed that he wasn't worried about himself because he was an excellent driver but rather worried about other drivers.................well you know where I am going with this story so I'll stop
Old 01-19-2015, 04:03 PM
Sage

Thanks......good information and nice to know they are enforcing. Could use more of it.

Old 01-19-2015, 04:48 PM
Sage

[QUOTE=billethkid;997760]
At 60 mph at the end of an hour one would be one mile ahead. At 1/3 that speed (20 mph) one would be approximately 1500 feet ahead.QUOTE]

billethkid, I think you need a new slide rule. At 60 mph at the end of an hour you'll have traveled 60 miles. At 20 mph you'll have traveled 20 miles or 40 miles less, not 1500 feet.
Old 01-19-2015, 06:27 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by billethkid View Post
...Every cart that ever passes me I usually am right behind them at the next stop/cross walk...
Well, which is it...every or usually??

Just funnin' with ya!! Tryin' to lighten this thread up a bit!!
Old 01-19-2015, 06:34 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polar Bear View Post
Well, which is it...every or usually??

Just funnin' with ya!! Tryin' to lighten this thread up a bit!!
If I'm an English/European visitor which side of the path should I motor on with my bonnet down?
Old 01-19-2015, 07:17 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,751 Times in 1,386 Posts

[quote=Shimpy;997916]
Quote:
Originally Posted by billethkid View Post
At 60 mph at the end of an hour one would be one mile ahead. At 1/3 that speed (20 mph) one would be approximately 1500 feet ahead.QUOTE]

billethkid, I think you need a new slide rule. At 60 mph at the end of an hour you'll have traveled 60 miles. At 20 mph you'll have traveled 20 miles or 40 miles less, not 1500 feet.
I was using the inrement of 60 mph to demonstarte what one mph would gain at the end of an hour....one mor mile....in an hour. Hence my discussion about the only gain is in mere feet.

My slide rule is fine. Maybe better rheteric to be more clear in intent.
Old 01-20-2015, 12:37 AM
Gold member

White ,reflective outside edges work best. ....
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.