Cart tunnel closure - FYI

Closed Thread
Old 02-10-2011, 08:23 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by memason View Post
I did just that, this morning. Don Burgess is the commissioner responsible for that portion of The Villages. In my email, I recommended the 4-way stop as a potential solution. So far, I have gotten no response from Mr. Burgess. When [or if] I get a response, I'll post it here.
Could you please post Don Burgess' e-mail address? I looked on the Sumter County site but didn't see his address. I'd like to send him an e-mail about the four-way stop sign ... I'd think that the more e-mails he receives, the better.
Old 02-10-2011, 09:01 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barefoot View Post
Could you please post Don Burgess' e-mail address? I looked on the Sumter County site but didn't see his address. I'd like to send him an e-mail about the four-way stop sign ... I'd think that the more e-mails he receives, the better.
From memason's post (#45) earlier in the thread:

"Once I receive a response, I will post on this thread for all to see. If you are interested in contacting Don yourself, his email address is don.burgess@sumtercountyfl.gov"

Bill
Old 02-11-2011, 08:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bogie Shooter View Post
Anybody think of using their car to get to the stores accross CR101?
Old 02-11-2011, 08:34 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Cool Reply from County Government

As promised, here is the reply I received from the County Commissioners office, concerning the tunnel closure and any sort of temporary detour:
Mr. Mason,
Thank you for your input. The CDD is responsible for the tunnel and any detours when their multimodal trail is out of service. I have a meeting with Mrs. Tutt on Wednesday of next week to see what their detour plans are, their time frame for the tunnel to be out of service, and what request they may have of the BOCC for assistance. Until these questions are answered by the CDD, the BOCC does not have a staff recommendation for action at their 2/22/11 BOCC meeting. By statute approval to cross or access a county road by a golf cart requires action by the BOCC.
It seems that Janet Tutt holds the keys to any action by the BOCC, which would allow [or disallow] any sort of detour. Perhaps an email campaign to Mrs. Tutt is in order .... I will forward this email to Mrs. Tutt and ask if she is preparing any sort of request of the BOCC at their upcoming meeting...

Cheers.... Mike
Old 02-11-2011, 08:50 AM
Sage

Mike.................you da man! Thanks for what you're doing!

Bill
Old 02-11-2011, 08:55 AM
Taltarzac
Default Sumter County Board of County Commissioners link.

http://sumtercountyfl.gov/faq.aspx?TID=29
Old 02-11-2011, 09:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by getdul981 View Post
Thw police should be able to ticket any carts at Wal-Mart or any other business on the west side of 101, since they aren't supposed to be there anyway.
Not true . . . you can get there if you live in Parkwood as they have a gate on the West side of CR101 so they would never have to cross it.
Old 02-11-2011, 11:54 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Parkwood has no "Legal" golf cart access to The Villages intermodal trails.

In fact there are signs posted on 101 comming form Parkwood stating NO GOLF CARTS ALLOWS and that is for the sidewalks as wel as on 101.

Bison Valley is the only "LegaL" Golf Cart Community on that side of 101
Old 02-11-2011, 12:16 PM
Taltarzac

Some workmen were near the tunnel-- just above it in the middle of CR101-- when I came back from Doggie Doo Run Run @ noon today.

Not sure what is up though.
Old 02-11-2011, 01:45 PM
Gold member

Just got this Update:
Subject: What's Happening - Special Edition
Date: 2/11/2011

CR 101 Update

Sumter County has been in contact with the District and has advised of their plan to allow on grade crossing of CR 101 until the tunnel re-opens effective 8am Saturday, February 12, 2011.

Sumter County will create a four way stop and will allow golf cart crossing of CR 101 just north of the closed tunnel. Golf carts will be allowed to cross CR 101 from behind Publix to the Palm Ridge Plaza parking lot.

The Sumter County Sherriff's Office will be onsite to ensure compliance with temporary signage.
Old 02-11-2011, 02:16 PM
Sage

Alright! That was quicker than I thought. Sounds like a reasonable solution. Hope people don't abuse it by crossing at a different point.
Old 02-11-2011, 03:55 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by obxgal View Post
Just got this Update:
Date: 2/11/2011

CR 101 Update

Sumter County has been in contact with the District and has advised of their plan to allow on grade crossing of CR 101 until the tunnel re-opens effective 8am Saturday, February 12, 2011.

Sumter County will create a four way stop and will allow golf cart crossing of CR 101 just north of the closed tunnel. Golf carts will be allowed to cross CR 101 from behind Publix to the Palm Ridge Plaza parking lot.

The Sumter County Sherriff's Office will be onsite to ensure compliance with temporary signage.

"Live life while you're alive, because when you're dead, you're dead a long time".- Roland Michael Curtis
Old 02-11-2011, 05:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barefoot View Post
I thought a street legal cart was licensed to travel 10 to 15 MPH faster than a non street legal cart.
A golf cart by law can not exceed 19.9 mph, a street legal can not by law exceed 25mph. The street legals can drive on road with posted speeds up to 35 mph unless otherwise posted and street legals may cross roads with posted speeds of up to 45mph (unless otherwise posted).
The federal and state governments are not going to change the law because of a four week construction project in The Village so we have to live with what the law is!

The 4-way stop sign sure seems like a positive way to solve this problem!
Old 02-11-2011, 10:27 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by obxgal View Post
Just got this Update:
Date: 2/11/2011 CR 101 Update

I had lunch at Crispers today and watched them placing the new signs. This is very good news. Excellent reaction time Sumpter County peeps!! Hopefully, this will prevent any misfortunes while the tunnel is closed.
Old 02-12-2011, 08:27 AM
Taltarzac

There's a little map showing where this detour (4-way stop) is on the first page of today's Villages Daily Sun's local section.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.