Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   The Villages, Florida, General Discussion (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-general-discussion-73/)
-   -   Cart tunnel closure - FYI (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-general-discussion-73/cart-tunnel-closure-fyi-35827/)

BlueHeronFan 02-09-2011 06:48 AM

How about some info.
 
They ought to at least let folks know what is going on. It it a drainage issue, tunnel collapsing, cracking, etc. They give updates to every other project that is going on around here.

Avista 02-09-2011 07:04 AM

If there is a problem, how about fixing it ASAP

Bill-n-Brillo 02-09-2011 09:00 AM

Sent a polite e-mail to the VCDD asking for some feedback. Will post what I get in reply.

Bill

getdul981 02-09-2011 09:08 AM

Don't you mean IF?

Bill-n-Brillo 02-09-2011 09:17 AM

Nah, they'll send a reply of some sort. I told them I'd send you to see them in person if I didn't............... hee-hee! :clap2:

Bill

memason 02-09-2011 11:02 AM

Just Received .... CR101 Tunnel Update
 
The Latest Information:

Multi Modal Path Tunnel under CR 101
During a routine inspection of the multi-modal paths, District Property Management staff noticed cement pieces on the floor of the tunnel under CR101. Upon further investigation they found the cement had fallen from the tunnel. After cleaning the area of loose cement, they left and came back later to find additional cement had broken loose. At this time they requested our consulting engineer to look at the tunnel and determine what action would be necessary.

After examining the tunnel, it was suggested out of an abundance of caution that it be closed until further review could take place. The manufacturer was contacted, a structural engineer sent to The Villages and a decision was made to have core testing conducted on portions of the tunnel structure.

The testing is scheduled for Thursday, February 10th, and it will take approximately three weeks for the testing results to be completed.

At this point, out of continued concern for the safety and well being of residents, the tunnel will remain closed.

Any questions may be directed to Janet Tutt, District Manager, janet.tutt@districtgov.org or 753-4508.

Thank you for your patience and understanding regarding this unanticipated maintenance issue.

Bill-n-Brillo 02-09-2011 11:08 AM

Just got my e-notification from VCDD as well. Better than an e-mail reply!! :)

Bill

Avista 02-09-2011 12:10 PM

All they need is a detour. How about taking the carts north past the Methodist Church and then setting up a crossing point there.

Barefoot 02-09-2011 12:18 PM

Holy Cowabunga! It looks as if the tunnel will be closed for quite some time.

I hope they post a police office at Woodbridge Drive (and also at Wedgewood Drive) and CR 101 to control the situation. For years, Villagers have had access via the tunnel to the delights that lie to the west. Bonefish Grill, Red Lobster, Olive Garden, Walmart, Buffalo Ridge, Perkins, Bealls, Street Rods, Pet Store, etc.

For sure, people will be crossing CR 101 on Woodbridge Road in their non-street legal golf carts. And the speed limit going north on CR 101 is 35 MPH. It's a recipe for disaster. I hope that the Police Department "mans up", sorry girls, and takes charge of the situation.

At least they should post signs on Woodbridge and Wedgewood advising golf carts that the tunnel is closed and that it is illegal to cross CR 101.

Taltarzac 02-09-2011 02:13 PM

Sounds like it will be at least 3.5 weeks before this tunnel re-opens, if not many more weeks than that.

Larry Wilson 02-09-2011 03:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by memason (Post 329550)
The Latest Information:

Multi Modal Path Tunnel under CR 101
During a routine inspection of the multi-modal paths, District Property Management staff noticed cement pieces on the floor of the tunnel under CR101. Upon further investigation they found the cement had fallen from the tunnel. After cleaning the area of loose cement, they left and came back later to find additional cement had broken loose. At this time they requested our consulting engineer to look at the tunnel and determine what action would be necessary.

After examining the tunnel, it was suggested out of an abundance of caution that it be closed until further review could take place. The manufacturer was contacted, a structural engineer sent to The Villages and a decision was made to have core testing conducted on portions of the tunnel structure.

The testing is scheduled for Thursday, February 10th, and it will take approximately three weeks for the testing results to be completed.

At this point, out of continued concern for the safety and well being of residents, the tunnel will remain closed.

Any questions may be directed to Janet Tutt, District Manager, janet.tutt@districtgov.org or 753-4508.

Thank you for your patience and understanding regarding this unanticipated maintenance issue.

memson, Big big thanks for the info. :thumbup:

427dave 02-09-2011 04:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Barefoot (Post 329567)
.

At least they should post signs on Woodbridge and Wedgewood advising golf carts that the tunnel is closed and that it is illegal to cross CR 101.

They do have cones at both Woodbridge and Wedgewood with signs saying NO golf carts are allow to cross 101. They also have one between the Church and Krispers. They are not allowing carts to cross anywhere along 101. Guess we will have to use our cars. Sounds like this could be closed for quite awhile.

Streetrod and E-ZGO both have repair shops in Palm shopping plaza. Guess this cuts them off from drive up business.:rant-rave::oops::confused::sad:

gongoozler 02-09-2011 05:28 PM

Another reason to buy a street legal cart!

Now why not just post 20mph signs in that section of CR101 to slow the cars down and allow the carts to cross by the church?

Since it's legal to walk across the street but not drive your golf cart across it makes no sense . . . which is slower and presenting more of a danger, a 70 year-old crossing 4 lanes of traffic on foot or a golf cart?

I was told that the police were hiding yesterday up the road and ticketing cars that had crossed . . . so it was about making money and not about safety. If it really were about safety they would be on CR101 and stopping the carts before they crossed!

Autoshow 02-09-2011 05:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Taltarzac (Post 328809)
Saw a golf cart sneak across CR101 this morning north of Crispers. At least, the driver did it where there were not any signs saying that this is forbidden.

I almost hit the nincompoop though as he/she seemed to think he/she had the right of way vs. my van driving south on CR101.

That is not 101 near Crispers,101 is near the wal mart

Avista 02-09-2011 05:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by autoshow (Post 329617)
That is not 101 near Crispers,101 is near the wal mart

101 is by Crispers and runs by the Methodist Church.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:17 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Search Engine Optimisation provided by DragonByte SEO v2.0.32 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2022 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.