Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   The Villages, Florida, General Discussion (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-general-discussion-73/)
-   -   Cart tunnel closure - FYI (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-general-discussion-73/cart-tunnel-closure-fyi-35827/)

getdul981 02-12-2011 08:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mikeod (Post 330098)
Alright! That was quicker than I thought. Sounds like a reasonable solution. Hope people don't abuse it by crossing at a different point.

I agree, but you just know someone is going to screw things up for everybody else.

dillywho 02-28-2011 09:28 PM

Like the 4-Way Stop!

:gc:Sure do like the 4-way stop across CR101. It has really slowed the auto traffic and has made the roads much safer. It used to be a real challenge to get across at Woodridge by car because by the time they got to there from 466, they were flying. (Had to be really scary for those with street legal carts going across there.) Not only that, but there are some sortof blind crossings out of the church parking lot, behind and in front of Crispers', and a couple of others that have led to near-misses.

Hope the powers-that-be will opt to keep it up, even after the tunnel reopens.

Taltarzac 03-28-2011 08:13 AM

Any news about when the tunnel under CR101 will re-open.

Quote:

Originally Posted by dillywho (Post 334548)
:gc:Sure do like the 4-way stop across CR101. It has really slowed the auto traffic and has made the roads much safer. It used to be a real challenge to get across at Woodridge by car because by the time they got to there from 466, they were flying. (Had to be really scary for those with street legal carts going across there.) Not only that, but there are some sortof blind crossings out of the church parking lot, behind and in front of Crispers', and a couple of others that have led to near-misses.

Hope the powers-that-be will opt to keep it up, even after the tunnel reopens.

Not sure I want this stop to stay open. That's because, I have seen too many golf cart drivers just heading right through the stop without really stopping. Guess they feel entitled now.

As of late March 2011, I cannot wait until the tunnel re-opens!

memason 03-28-2011 08:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Taltarzac (Post 341448)
...Guess they feel entitled now.

Not to be argumentative, but what does statement that mean?

redwitch 03-28-2011 08:59 AM

I just recently heard a rumor that they've decided to not fix the tunnel and just leave the four-way stop. Anyone else heard anything?

427dave 03-28-2011 09:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by redwitch (Post 341465)
I just recently heard a rumor that they've decided to not fix the tunnel and just leave the four-way stop. Anyone else heard anything?

Well there doesn't seem to be any work progressing on the repair of the tunnel. Maybe they are not going to repair it for awhile.

The 4-way stop is working

Barefoot 03-28-2011 04:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Taltarzac (Post 341448)
Not sure I want this stop to stay open. That's because, I have seen too many golf cart drivers just heading right through the stop without really stopping. Guess they feel entitled now.

I agree with Tal. I drive north on CR 101 at least once a day. (To DDRR). Many golf carts are just sailing across 101 without stopping. It is a bit more convenient for golf carts to cross over the road instead of through a tunnel. However I think the tunnel is much safer.

In my opinion, the speed limit on CR 101 is too high. There are way too many people in cars who are too impatient to wait for a clear path. They just sail out into traffic, trying to navigate back and forth between Buffalo Ridge and Southern Trace. It's a dangerous area.

Taltarzac 03-29-2011 11:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Barefoot (Post 341633)
I agree with Tal. I drive north on CR 101 at least once a day. (To DDRR). Many golf carts are just sailing across 101 without stopping. It is a bit more convenient for golf carts to cross over the road instead of through a tunnel. However I think the tunnel is much safer.

In my opinion, the speed limit on CR 101 is too high. There are way too many people in cars who are too impatient to wait for a clear path. They just sail out into traffic, trying to navigate back and forth between Buffalo Ridge and Southern Trace. It's a dangerous area.

They seem to think that they can handle themselves in a golf cart like they do in their cars when very few golf carts have the same kind of pick-up and none have the same kind of accident survivability unless they drive a car that is quite similar to a golf cart. Have seen a few of these driving around in the Villages.

I also drive to the dog park up CR101 just about every day and also often see cars as well as golf carts do a rolling stop at the "temporary" golf cart street crossing.

memason 03-29-2011 12:15 PM

I sent an email to Janet Tutt's office yesterday (3/28/2011) concerning the tunnel status and the rumors that are circulating.

Here's the response I received:

Mr. Mason,

I received an engineering report today from the VCCDD regarding this
issue. The VCCDD and Sumter County have not evaluated the report;
however, I am sure we will do so this week. I have not heard the
rumors; however, I know the VCCDD as well as Sumter County are
interested in seeing the tunnel repaired and reopened as soon as
possible.

Bradley

Bill-n-Brillo 03-29-2011 12:19 PM

Thanks for doing that, Mike! And it's good to hear they're wanting to fix the tunnel.

Bill

golf2140 03-29-2011 03:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by memason (Post 341871)
I sent an email to Janet Tutt's office yesterday (3/28/2011) concerning the tunnel status and the rumors that are circulating.

Here's the response I received:

Mr. Mason,

I received an engineering report today from the VCCDD regarding this
issue. The VCCDD and Sumter County have not evaluated the report;
however, I am sure we will do so this week. I have not heard the
rumors; however, I know the VCCDD as well as Sumter County are
interested in seeing the tunnel repaired and reopened as soon as
possible.

Bradley

your e-mail was signed Bradley. Is that Bradley Arnold Sumter County Administrator????? :read:

memason 03-29-2011 07:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by golf2140 (Post 341929)
your e-mail was signed Bradley. Is that Bradley Arnold Sumter County Administrator????? :read:

Yes....

Taltarzac 03-30-2011 08:39 AM

Good to hear that they are planning on getting the tunnel back open.

Barefoot 03-30-2011 11:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Taltarzac (Post 342081)
Good to hear that they are planning on getting the tunnel back open.

I think it will make CR 101 much safer when the carts are using the tunnel again. It is such a congested area between 466 and Woodridge.

Taltarzac 04-11-2011 08:51 AM

News?

Anything new on the tunnel under CR101?