Cart tunnel closure - FYI

Closed Thread
Old 02-09-2011, 05:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by autoshow View Post
That is not 101 near Crispers,101 is near the wal mart
CR 103 is just east of Wal-Mart and CR105 is by Wal-Mart on the West side and goes by the Leahy Golf driving range.
Old 02-09-2011, 06:00 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gongoozler View Post
CR 103 is just east of Wal-Mart and CR105 is by Wal-Mart on the West side and goes by the Leahy Golf driving range.
Yes, CR 101 is by Crisper's and the Methodist Church. Woodridge and Wedgewood both cross it. The cones are there, but there is no signage on the cones from the Palm Ridge Side (at least there wasn't yesterday) and there were lots of carts that were not the street legals crossing.
Amarillo, TX
The Villages, FL

To quote my dad:
"I never did see a board that didn't have two sides."
Old 02-09-2011, 06:40 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill-n-Brillo View Post
Sent a polite e-mail to the VCDD asking for some feedback. Will post what I get in reply.

Bill
I know this is redundant info but I decided to post it anyway..........in support of the fact that the VCDD, at least Eva Rey in this specific instance, is responsive to our questions:

"Bill:

Thank you for your e-mail submitted via the Districts’ website and the opportunity to answer your questions.

Pieces of the cement tunnel wall have begun to break away and fall onto the path. We are currently working with the engineers and the testing company to determine what the problem is with the tunnel and what it will take to resolve the issue. They will be taking core samples tomorrow. We should receive the results of the core sample testing in approximately 3 weeks. As I am sure you can understand, the safety of Village residents is paramount to District management and closing the tunnel is necessary to ensure everyone’s safety.

Please continue to monitor our website and local media for any new information available on this issue.

Sincerely,

Eva M. Rey, MPA
Director of Purchasing and Support Services
Village Community Development Districts
1894 Laurel Manor Drive
The Villages, FL 32162
Phone (352) 751-6700
Fax (352) 751-6715
eva.rey@districtgov.org
"Hospitality, Stewardship, Innovation & Creativity, Hard Work"

Note: Under Florida Law, email communications are public records. If you do not want your email address or email contents released in response to a public-records request, do not send electronic email to this entity.
"

Bill
Old 02-09-2011, 07:55 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Cool

In my opinion, there would be no huge safety issue with carts crossing CR101 up by the Methodist Church. Rather than have the orange cones that say NO cart crossing, they should put the cones in the middle of CR101 and have them say "CAUTION: Golf Cart Crossing". A street legal cart is no safer than any other cart for crossing a road like CR101.

For all the tax money Sumter County gets from TV, they should be able to handle a temporary situation, such as this, quite easily.

I'm pretty new here, so am I way off base in this thinking ????
Old 02-09-2011, 07:57 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by memason View Post
In my opinion, there would be no huge safety issue with carts crossing CR101 up by the Methodist Church. Rather than have the orange cones that say NO cart crossing, they should put the cones in the middle of CR101 and have them say "CAUTION: Golf Cart Crossing". A street legal cart is no safer than any other cart for crossing a road like CR101.

For all the tax money Sumter County gets from TV, they should be able to handle a temporary situation, such as this, quite easily.

Sounds rational to me!

Bill
Old 02-09-2011, 08:53 PM
Platinum member

Tonight saw quite a few people parking near Crispers and walking across 101. That is much more dangerous than a planned detour.
Tampa, FL
Old 02-09-2011, 09:17 PM
Location: Winter - Village of Bonita; Summer - Marblehead, OH

I'm really bummed out about the tunnel closing - I ride my golf cart to work in the Palm Ridge Plaza (I'm a Master Tax Advisor for H&R Block). I looked for cross walks so that I could park my cart around Crispers and walk to work, but I couldn't find a legal place to cross CR 101.
Guess I tell my hubbie he gets the cart and I get the car!

Today's new friend become tomorrow's family

Ohio - Cleveland, Lakewood, North Ridgeville, North Olmsted, Marblehead, Elyria; Florida - Village of Bonita (2010)
Old 02-09-2011, 10:14 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,274 Times in 2,360 Posts

Quote:

Do you think calling a commissioner would be of benefit?
Old 02-09-2011, 10:37 PM
Sage

Quote:
A street legal cart is no safer than any other cart for crossing a road like CR101.
I thought a street legal cart was licensed to travel 10 to 15 MPH faster than a non street legal cart.
Old 02-10-2011, 06:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mak44070 View Post
I couldn't find a legal place to cross CR 101
Is there a statute that says you can't walk across 101?
Old 02-10-2011, 07:24 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barefoot View Post
I thought a street legal cart was licensed to travel 10 to 15 MPH faster than a non street legal cart.
From my understanding, a street legal cart gets you an additional 5 MPH. There are few other benefits, but speed isn't really one of them.

I considered purchasing a street legal cart, but in the end, didn't think it was worth the extra cost....
Old 02-10-2011, 07:27 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bogie Shooter View Post
Do you think calling a commissioner would be of benefit?
Bogie Shooter.... that's a great idea! Not sure who that would be, but I'll find out and contact them today... I'll post any response I get.

Thanks for the suggestion!
Old 02-10-2011, 07:49 AM
Platinum member

If the tunnel is unsafe for carts to go through because the concrete is crumbling, doesn't it stand to reason that it is unsafe for cars and trucks to travel over?

A pessimist is an optimist with experience.

"In my many years I have come to a conclusion that one useless man is a shame, two is a law firm and three or more is a congress." - John Adams
Old 02-10-2011, 09:13 AM
Veteran member

Today's Daily Sun has an article (page C-1) stating that the tunnel may be closed 4 weeks or longer. It further mentions that Sumter County Officials are not permitting golf carts to cross the roadway and there is no detour route in effect.
Old 02-10-2011, 09:27 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Cool

Earlier today, I sent a note to the county commissioner, responsible for District 3, who is Don Burgess. In that email, I made a couple recomendations that would allow cart traffic to cross CR101 in a safe manner, in my opinion.

Once I receive a response, I will post on this thread for all to see. If you are interested in contacting Don yourself, his email address is don.burgess@sumtercountyfl.gov

This should be a very easy issue to resolve...ie creating a detour for carts to cross CR101. It's done all the time for road construction projects. In fact, there was detour created for the reconstruction of the cart paths on the north side that had cart traffic on Buena Vista Blvd. for quite a distance.

We'll see how responsive the county government is to such requests...

Cheers.....
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.