Cart tunnel closure - FYI

Closed Thread
Old 02-10-2011, 09:35 AM
Sage
Location: the villages since 04. Lived in Alaska, Texas, California, Massachusetts, Maine, Maryland, New York
Thanked 7,003 Times in 1,202 Posts

Business in buffalo ridge are hurting because of this. All the golfer who go to Little Bit's cafe after golf in the morning have turned to other options. Used to see many, many golf carts there in the mornings. Now it is like ghost restaurant. Something needs to be done for these businesses.
Old 02-10-2011, 09:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barefoot View Post
I thought a street legal cart was licensed to travel 10 to 15 MPH faster than a non street legal cart.
Golf Cart max speed = 20 mph
Street Legal NEV max speed = 25 mph on roads posted at 35 mph or less.

Difference = 5 mph faster
Old 02-10-2011, 09:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chacam View Post
Is there a statute that says you can't walk across 101?
You can walk across 101, however I have not seen crosswalk area, you can ride a bicycle across 101, you can NOT drive a golf cart across 101 unless it is street legal and has a tag. GO FIGURE! That way Sumter County has a way to make money from fines.
Old 02-10-2011, 10:06 AM
Smile

I have an idea. Being as the Villages has closed the tunnel they should offer a ferry service. Just like crossing a river. They should have a trailer there and then they could ferry the golf carts across the forbidden highway.

The radio station just stated it will be closed a long time. I wonder about the traffic crossing over the top of the tunnel. Are we going to have a vehicle fall through?
Old 02-10-2011, 10:09 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,359 Times in 2,393 Posts

Why is it when someone breaks the law and ends up with a fine...the outcry is always "thats the way the city, county or state makes money". If you don't break the law you don't get a fine, that seem pretty simple.
Old 02-10-2011, 12:13 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bogie Shooter View Post
Why is it when someone breaks the law and ends up with a fine...the outcry is always "thats the way the city, county or state makes money". If you don't break the law you don't get a fine, that seem pretty simple.

How about creating a temporary 4-way stop at the intersection near the church and the entrance to that village? Unfortunately, I believe that before they can do that they have to conduct surveys and post it for comment and review. So by the time it could be done, the tunnel will probably be repaired.
Old 02-10-2011, 12:50 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by memason View Post
In my opinion, there would be no huge safety issue with carts crossing CR101 up by the Methodist Church. Rather than have the orange cones that say NO cart crossing, they should put the cones in the middle of CR101 and have them say "CAUTION: Golf Cart Crossing". A street legal cart is no safer than any other cart for crossing a road like CR101.

For all the tax money Sumter County gets from TV, they should be able to handle a temporary situation, such as this, quite easily.

I'm pretty new here, so am I way off base in this thinking ????
Yes, you are way off base. You're trying to think about this problem rationally. That's a classic mistake people make when dealing government entities.
Netherlands, California, Quebec, California, Texas, Turkey, Minnesota, Panama Canal, California, Illinois, Turkey, Maryland, Germany, Florida, New Mexico, The Village of Amelia and now The Village of Hacienda East.
Old 02-10-2011, 02:06 PM
Sage

Let's not forget that all those businesses on the west of CR101 pay EXTRA lease costs to be golf cart accessible. I would bet that they are raising a big stink about this as well.
Old 02-10-2011, 02:53 PM

Quote:
Anybody think of using their car to get to the stores accross CR101?
That's great IF you have a car! One of the perks of moving to TV was being able to get rid of the second car and replace it with our golf cart. Some days the hubby has to drive the car to get to work outside of TV and that leaves me with only the cart....and his motorcycle...which you will NEVER catch me driving! LOL!
Old 02-10-2011, 03:55 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeod View Post

How about creating a temporary 4-way stop at the intersection near the church and the entrance to that village? Unfortunately, I believe that before they can do that they have to conduct surveys and post it for comment and review. So by the time it could be done, the tunnel will probably be repaired.
A four-way stop at Woodbridge Drive is definitely the smartest solution, and would allow Villagers to continue patronizing the businesses west of CR 101 via Golf Cart. I would think that for a temporary emergency situation, the police could make that happen immediately.
Old 02-10-2011, 04:27 PM
Platinum member
Default Yes, Great Suggestion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barefoot View Post
A four-way stop at Woodbridge Drive is definitely the smartest solution, and would allow Villagers to continue patronizing the businesses west of CR 101 via Golf Cart. I would think that for a temporary emergency situation, the police could make that happen immediately.
Not only would it solve the current problem, but just might slow the lead-foots on 101. It gets a little hairy already even in a car with the ones who seem to think the speed limit is the same as 466. Even the current speed of 35 seems too much with all the intersections, turn lanes, etc. on 101. IMHO
Amarillo, TX
The Villages, FL

To quote my dad:
"I never did see a board that didn't have two sides."
Old 02-10-2011, 05:01 PM
Sage

All these good suggestions are going to waste. For possibly more action to be accomplished they should be directed to our county commissioners, there email addresses are available here:
http://sumtercountyfl.gov/index.aspx?nid=67
Old 02-10-2011, 05:07 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Cool

Quote:
All these good suggestions are going to waste. For possibly more action to be accomplished they should be directed to our county commissioners, there email addresses are available here:
http://sumtercountyfl.gov/index.aspx?nid=67
I did just that, this morning. Don Burgess is the commissioner responsible for that portion of The Villages. In my email, I recommended the 4-way stop as a potential solution. So far, I have gotten no response from Mr. Burgess. When [or if] I get a response, I'll post it here.
Old 02-10-2011, 05:36 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by memason View Post
I did just that, this morning. Don Burgess is the commissioner responsible for that portion of The Villages. In my email, I recommended the 4-way stop as a potential solution. So far, I have gotten no response from Mr. Burgess. When [or if] I get a response, I'll post it here.
Wouldn't more email get their attention?
Old 02-10-2011, 06:50 PM
Sage

Quote:
Wouldn't more email get their attention?
Perhaps, but I bet it would mean more if he/they got communications from all the businesses affected by the closure!
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.