car taxes

Closed Thread
Old 06-14-2011, 03:39 PM
Gold member
Default car taxes

Do Florida residents pay a tax on their cars? Not a sale tax,a tax to the city based on the value of the car.
Old 06-14-2011, 04:38 PM
Platinum member

waynet:

Not so far as I know.

Maybe because my now 15-plus-year-old Plymouth Grand Voyager has depreciated to nothing?

But: I've never run across anything suggesting a tax, surcharge or whatever according to what you drive.

So, I guess it's equally safe for you to bring your $100,000 Testarosa or your $7,000 Yugo!

SWR
Old 06-15-2011, 05:00 AM
Veteran member
Send a message via MSN to Bryan

In a lot of places, that is referred to as a "Personal Property Tax" and is usually implemented on a county-by-county or town-by-town basis. As far as I know, there are no personal property taxes in or around TV. I can't speak for all of Florida though.
Old 06-15-2011, 06:36 AM
Platinum member

You pay a Titling Tax but no Personal Property Tax. If you purchased your vehicle less than 6 months before titling it in FL, you have to pay the difference in what you paid in your home state and the 7% imposed by FL. It's a one time tax. No taxes after the initial one. However, if you want the homestead exemption, you have to establish residence and title your vehicle before you can get it.

A pessimist is an optimist with experience.

"In my many years I have come to a conclusion that one useless man is a shame, two is a law firm and three or more is a congress." - John Adams
Old 06-15-2011, 08:36 AM
Gold member
Default just did all this in December

My checkbook log says we paid $516.90 in December - to title one vehicle, personalized plate, 2 drivers' licenses. Renewal date was July (birthday of one of us) - that was $62.35, good till next July. And they make it easy for snowbirds to get the renewal sticker sent to an out of state address.

Not sure if renewal is more for personalized plates or not, don't think so. I think it was only $20-40 to get the personalized plate. Also a little more to get your choice of backgrounds for plate.

If you are in Sumter County (and maybe even if you're not), it's a one-stop deal at the new County Building (gold dome) on 466A toward Wildwood (the new library is in part of the building).

We did have to make one more stop at the sheriff's annex building at Morse & 466 (Mariposa Lane) by golf cart if you like, to apply for the Homestead Exemption next. No charge for that, just a paper to fill out and turn in - I think they even gave us the paper at the license bureau, just couldn't turn it in there.

Florida has a great website to determine what paperwork you need to take with you, can't remember what it is, but google Florida driver's license. If you have ever changed your name, you especially need to look at this. You can personalize it.
Old 06-15-2011, 08:52 AM
Sage

getdul981 is correct, except it is 6 precent Florida sales or use tax according to the Florida Department of Highway Safety and Motor Vehicles. There is also a $225 initial registration fee charged when registering a vehicle for the first time in Florida. In addition, you must pay an annual tax to renew your registration and license plate:

The 12-month registration period begins the first day of the owners birth month. Company owned vehicles use the month of June. Full amount is charged for the registration period regardless of when during the registration period the vehicle is registered.

Classification Weight Annual Tax
and
Other Fees Biennial Tax
and
Other Fees
Automobiles, private use thru 2499 pounds $46.15 $92.30
Automobiles, private use 2500-3499 $57.15 $114.30
Automobiles, private use 3500 $70.65 $141.30
Trucks, private and commercial thru 1999 pounds $46.15 $92.30
Trucks, private and commercial 2000-3000 $57.15 $114.30
Trucks, private and commercial 3001-5000 $70.65 $141.30
Additional Fees
Transferring a license plate from another vehicle $7.35
When a new metal license plate is issued $28.00
Initial Registration fee
This is charged when applicant does not have a Florida registration to transfer. $225.00

The term "new wheels" does not appear in the law. Section 320.072, Florida Statutes, requires a fee of $225 to be imposed upon the initial application for registration on certain motor vehicle registration transactions. Whether the vehicle is new or used doesn't matter. Basically, the fee is due on any private-use automobile, any lightweight truck, or any motor home unless the vehicle being registered is a replacement for a vehicle that has been disposed in the same category of vehicles.:

http://www.flhsmv.gov/dmv/faqmotor.html#7

You bought it more than six months ago
If the motor vehicle was purchased six months or more before being brought into Florida, Florida sales or use tax or local discretionary sales surtax do not apply. You'll need to show proof that you used it for six months or more in another state or jurisdiction.

You bought it less than six months ago
If the motor vehicle was purchased and used less than six months in another state, territory of the United States or the District of Columbia, the full amount of the six percent Florida sales or use tax and local discretionary sales surtax is required. However, that is offset by the sales tax you paid in the prior jurisdiction. For example, if you owe 6% to Florida, but you paid 4% to another state, you will only owe 2% to Florida.

http://www.flhsmv.gov/dmv/faqmotor.html
Old 06-16-2011, 07:13 AM
Platinum member

Thanks BK. As usual, I know just enough to get myself in trouble.

A pessimist is an optimist with experience.

"In my many years I have come to a conclusion that one useless man is a shame, two is a law firm and three or more is a congress." - John Adams
Old 06-16-2011, 10:24 AM

Thanks for the information...I appreciate it. Now to the specific question I would like to ask.

We will become permanent residents of Florida in October. We will be getting rid of one of our cars here in Connecticut and driving the other (2004 Jeep we bought new) to Florida. Our plan is to trade that car in for a new one. What's the best way to go about it: 1. Should we simply take our Connecticut registered Jeep to a Florida dealer, trade it in and let the dealer handle the paperwork? 2. Should we register the car in Florida and then trade it in? 3. Any other options?

I am assuming that we would get Florida drivers' licenses before we do anything with the car.

Any guidance would be appreciated.
Old 06-16-2011, 10:39 AM

As a CT resident we both know the value of 4 wheel drive in the Northeast, and a very diminished value to Florida residents.
Have you considered extracting the value of the 4WD Jeep in CT by selling it before you relocate?
Yes, you will pay the state of FL the difference in sales tax when you register it, so the CT sales tax differential does not become part of the decision
Old 06-16-2011, 11:01 AM

Yes we thought of selling it all in CT and flying to FL and then buying a car in TV but the cost of the flights, car rental, etc. seem to make it a wash. In addition, we want to do some sightseeing in DC before we head on to TV.
Old 06-16-2011, 11:57 AM

You are of course quite right that flights and rental would erase that advantage of selling in CT.
My thought was to buy the new car in CT and drive to FL...then reregister in FL.
Good luck with your decision and enjoy your new life in FL.
Old 06-16-2011, 06:38 PM

As I understand what everyone has written here, I would have to pay sales tax in Connecticut and pay sales tax in Florida as well. My objective would be to pay only once.
Old 06-16-2011, 06:43 PM

If you bring a car within 6 months of ownership into Florida, you would pay Florida the Difference between the FL rate and the CT rate
Old 06-16-2011, 06:56 PM

If that is the case and it appears to be, it would not cost any more as both Connecticut and Florida charge 6% sales/use tax. I guess I can choose to pay Connecticut or Florida.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.