Caution phoney Medicare Scam

Closed Thread
Old 12-15-2018, 01:15 PM
Default Caution phoney Medicare Scam

Past month I hv received on my cell multiple calls actually from the real Medicare 800 number which I had previously saved. When I answer,get a delay I hang up. First time it happened I waited called Medicare on same number. Told them, they assured me that they never call anyone. Five minutes ago got another Medicare care call. Decided to wait. After delay female w accent informs me she is calling to offer a better Medicare plan as she continues requesting my info I interrupt her and ask what state are you calling from. She says, Florida. I said where in Fl? She said Miami. I said please give me your Miami Street address. Minor delay.. she said she can not... I said I hope you rot in hell for trying to rip off the elderly and anyone else.
This is a good forum to warn everyone Medicare does NOT call anyone.
Old 12-15-2018, 02:06 PM

Don't answer those calls.Sometimes the longer they can keep you on the line the more they can charge you on your long distance bill.
Old 12-15-2018, 02:21 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,507 Times in 677 Posts

In spite of signing up on the Do Not Call Registry (numerous times now) and downloading NOMOROBO (a little better luck with this)...I still get lots of unwanted calls.

So I've simply resorted to an antiquated technology (albeit seemingly vastly underutilized, if my observations in public are any indication) called...voicemail.

If the call doesn't show as one of my contacts, then I will check later...to see if they've left a message.

If it wasn't important enough for them to leave me a message, it certainly wasn't important enough for me...to answer it in real time.

As for the OP's comment that the number comes up as a legitimate Medicare number, I'm not sure what you can do about that...except the voicemail route.

Last edited by ColdNoMore; 12-15-2018 at 02:47 PM.
Old 12-15-2018, 02:38 PM
Sage
Thanked 6,144 Times in 2,245 Posts

I agree, we are going to go to the voicemail route, sad commentary on the situation today.
Old 12-15-2018, 03:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdNoMore View Post
If the call doesn't show as one of my contacts... If it wasn't important enough for them to leave me a message, it certainly wasn't important enough for me...to answer it
I agree fully. It takes some self training to be able to do that, but it certainly pays off. I have been doing that for the past few years and have not lost an important call yet (except probably lost out on that $million when the Nigerian prince called).
Old 12-15-2018, 03:10 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,751 Times in 1,386 Posts

Any unkowns, not in contacts, do not answer. If the unkowns are legitimate (and some are) they will leave a voice mail.

Do not call lists just simply do not work. The robo caller techies are just too smart to be stopped by such a mundane concept as mass blocking....based on my experience.
Old 12-15-2018, 03:21 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arlington2 View Post
I agree fully. It takes some self training to be able to do that, but it certainly pays off. I have been doing that for the past few years and have not lost an important call yet (except probably lost out on that $million when the Nigerian prince called).
Too bad; so sad but your loss is my gain. I am getting my finances together because all I have to do is wire a couple of hundred g's and the prince assures me that we will be splitting a handsome sum.
Old 12-15-2018, 04:25 PM
Sage

No matter how cute you think you’re being when you answer a scam call, you’ve already made mistake #1...answering the call.
Old 12-15-2018, 06:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arlington2 View Post
Me too!
Old 12-15-2018, 07:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BK001 View Post
Too bad; so sad but your loss is my gain. I am getting my finances together because all I have to do is wire a couple of hundred g's and the prince assures me that we will be splitting a handsome sum.
That will teach me!!

Old 12-15-2018, 08:37 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BK001 View Post

Tags
medicare, delay, call, miami, number

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.