Caution possible scammer responding to Classified ads.

Closed Thread
Old 10-23-2021, 12:59 PM
Unhappy Caution possible scammer responding to Classified ads.

I recently listed some furniture on the talk of the villages and someone sent me a text expressing interest in my product. They negotiated price via text then said they would send an E-Check that I could print from my computer. This is not possible, the check would be considered a copy by the bank and they would consider it fraud. Sure enough a day later an "e-check" from a company that does not exist came in my email and was for the wrong amount. Fortunately I know better than to click anything on the email. In addition, coincidentally, my neighbor also was posting furniture on the talk of the villages and received the same texts and and emails.

I'm posting this because I felt I had to let the community know of this possible scammer.

If this happens to you do not click anything on the email and report it and the phone number used to text you to the Federal Trade Commission, Your Phone Carrier and Your email service ASAP in the hopes that they can catch this person or group.
Old 10-23-2021, 05:47 PM

Actually, you can send legal/valid checks by email. There are several companies providing this technology. This is one:

Email Check Instantly And Let Them Print Or eDeposit.

I’m not saying your experience was not a scam, but rather email checks are a legal and legitimate way to move a check fast.

However, all checks are subject to fraud. The only way that I know to verify any check is good, is to take the check to a branch of the bank that the funds are drawn on and cash the check there instantly without depositing it—which eliminates the chance of the check bouncing. This is good advice for any paper check also.
Old 10-23-2021, 10:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by daniel200 View Post
Actually, you can send legal/valid checks by email. There are several companies providing this technology.

I’m not saying your experience was not a scam, but rather email checks are a legal and legitimate way to move a check fast.

However, all checks are subject to fraud. The only way that I know to verify any check is good, is to take the check to a branch of the bank that the funds are drawn on and cash the check there instantly without depositing it—which eliminates the chance of the check bouncing. This is good advice for any paper check also.

Thank you Danial. There is more to this transaction than just the echeck.

1. The echeck was issued from a bank that I couldn't find when googling the name.
2. The amount was much higher than the agreed upon price which I suspect would have been part of the scam if I proceed with trying to cash it.
3. there was no verbal communication just text and no indication that the person was local..
4. My neighbor who also advertised furniture on the talk of the villages received the same texts regarding his product and received the same responses.

When googling e-checks in general I did get conflicting info regarding how legal they were and there was a lot of indications that they were often used in scams. To your point, from the right bank/company they probably are legal. Bottom line for me is this transaction overall sounded like a scam and I'd rather be safe than sorry.
Old 10-24-2021, 06:13 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 2,605 Times in 942 Posts

I would not trust an E check from someone I don’t know - i actually wouldn’t trust an email attachment from someone i don’t know.
I have used E checks from a real estate co with whom I was dealing who told me an e check is coming.
Old 10-25-2021, 08:50 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,875 Times in 949 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by vl4226 View Post
Thank you Danial. There is more to this transaction than just the echeck.

1. The echeck was issued from a bank that I couldn't find when googling the name.
2. The amount was much higher than the agreed upon price which I suspect would have been part of the scam if I proceed with trying to cash it.
3. there was no verbal communication just text and no indication that the person was local..
4. My neighbor who also advertised furniture on the talk of the villages received the same texts regarding his product and received the same responses.

When googling e-checks in general I did get conflicting info regarding how legal they were and there was a lot of indications that they were often used in scams. To your point, from the right bank/company they probably are legal. Bottom line for me is this transaction overall sounded like a scam and I'd rather be safe than sorry.

Sadly, scams are everywhere. Truth they are good at their craft. Many read this and say I would never fall for that. Perhaps, that is true. Few of us can honestly say we have never been scammed. Just not that one.

I would report it. It is unlikely because of your report there will be any serious effort to go after these people. However, enough reports and a decision may be made to spend the time, the effort and the money to close this down.
Old 10-25-2021, 10:18 AM
Sage
Thanked 13,708 Times in 5,240 Posts

I wouldn't report this scam to the FTC or any other Government agency. It will just give them a reason to waste more taxpayer money. They can't enforce the do-not-call list, illegal telemarketing calls, or deceptive advertising. Spending tax dollars to put one scammer out of business will do nothing, because there are thousands of other scammers already doing the same thing. And, even if you do go to the effort to track down the source of the text, and arrest the scammer, they will just get a slap on the wrist and be back in business the next day. This is a problem that the Government cannot solve.
Closed Thread

Tags
email, text, phone, posting, e-check

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.