Cautionary Notes for Anyone Buying a Home in TV

Closed Thread
Old 07-30-2019, 02:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredguy123 View Post
I don't know what you mean by "hardly any earnest money". But, as a seller, I wouldn't accept an offer and take my house off the market unless the offer included at least $10,000 in earnest money. The earnest money is put into an escrow account, and it is only forfeited if the buyer violates the sales contract.
I agree. I am currently selling my home in Hillsborough and unless a buyer was willing to put at least a 10,000 earnest money deposit I would not consider taking it off the market. I come from NYC...at contract we are asked to put a substantial amount down in the event the seller decides to back out.
Old 07-30-2019, 03:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohiosbestus View Post
One ting I would strongly recommend to future buyers is that you should not put hardly any earnest money down, when making an offer, we were later told by our realtor after putting a good amount of earnest money down we could possibly lose it if the home doesnt close by the date for some strange reason, we could possibly lose that money.
Earnest money is returned if the buyer decides during the inspection process that too many things the engineer found need to be fixed and the owner is unwilling to do complete the repairs. That is understandable but from a sellers point of view, I could have a buyer making multiple offers on different homes with little to no earnest money in the absence of a signed contract while inspection is being done. I would not take my home off the market with simply a "binder".
Old 07-30-2019, 03:46 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,012 Times in 1,739 Posts

That makes sense, if the buyer is speculating only with a small amount of money like $100 then why would I as a seller take the house off the market and lose a potential sale to someone else?
Old 07-30-2019, 04:06 PM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,254 Times in 425 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Velvet View Post
That makes sense, if the buyer is speculating only with a small amount of money like $100 then why would I as a seller take the house off the market and lose a potential sale to someone else?
I wouldn't. My Patio Villa is under contract and buyer had to put down 10K or no deal.
Old 07-31-2019, 01:14 PM
Veteran member

One other thing to remember when buying or selling through the Villages they are out for themselves,meaning the Villages. My personal experience is never ever sell through TV. You will get better results and a better price with an individual real estate company. After all unless its changed and I dont think it has outside realty companies cant bring a buyer to you if you are listed with TV. Nope dont live there anymore moved to South Carolina weather is good and cost of living is tremendously less. Have a good day. God bless the USA

Last edited by virgind; 07-31-2019 at 01:19 PM.
Old 07-31-2019, 06:25 PM
Sage
Location: Illinois, Tennesee, Florida, Village of Caroline, Sanibel, LaBelle
Thanked 1,312 Times in 545 Posts

We have purchased and sold over 20 properties. Only Twice we hired a good real estate attorney. On the other hand while purchasing three properties in TV over the last twelve years we did not see a need for an attorney. Sometimes you can get too “technical” and even paranoid when purchasing a home. In The Villages your buying into a lifestyle...
Old 07-31-2019, 06:53 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by virgind View Post
One other thing to remember when buying or selling through the Villages they are out for themselves,meaning the Villages. My personal experience is never ever sell through TV. You will get better results and a better price with an individual real estate company. After all unless its changed and I dont think it has outside realty companies cant bring a buyer to you if you are listed with TV. Nope dont live there anymore moved to South Carolina weather is good and cost of living is tremendously less. Have a good day. God bless the USA
Interesting. Tell me more about SC. Are you near any water or the coast? A friend moved to Beaufort, but I lost track of him. I think he's near a Marine base.

Laughter is the best medicine, unless you're being treated for Shingles
Old 08-01-2019, 09:05 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by justjim View Post
We have purchased and sold over 20 properties. Only Twice we hired a good real estate attorney. On the other hand while purchasing three properties in TV over the last twelve years we did not see a need for an attorney. Sometimes you can get too “technical” and even paranoid when purchasing a home. In The Villages your buying into a lifestyle...
Ran three community banks during 42 yr career. Principally involved in financing local homes. Bought and sold 7 homes (2 in TV). Never hired an atty. Always bought Title Insurance. Read the docs. No problems at all.
Old 08-01-2019, 10:22 AM
Veteran member

When I purchased my 2nd pre-owned home in the Villages, I used my same salesman. He is very honest and has worked for a long time in TV. I used his recommended home inspector and was very impressed with his work and findings. All the small problems he found were fixed. I have been in the home 10 years and have had no problems, and I was still able to negotiate a good price for the home.
Old 08-02-2019, 06:28 AM
Sage
Location: The Villages and the Northern Neck on the Chesapeake Bay, VA.
Thanked 3,110 Times in 1,342 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Velvet View Post
You would put more than $100. down to buy a car. 10K plus deposit.
Old 08-02-2019, 08:55 AM
Default home

we have sold in the villages and have used mls and the villages/ we will not use the 1.5 / we were told to put down /$100.00 and it worked out fine
Old 08-02-2019, 12:09 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianherlihy View Post
we have sold in the villages and have used mls and the villages/ we will not use the 1.5 / we were told to put down /$100.00 and it worked out fine
Confusing----did you buy or sell in the villages?

Laughter is the best medicine, unless you're being treated for Shingles
Closed Thread

Tags
home, sales, report, villages, agent

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.