CDD 5 to end anonymous complaints

Closed Thread
Old 11-21-2022, 09:31 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,035 Times in 2,730 Posts

What difference does it really make when violations are selectively enforced. They seem to go after people with little white crosses with vengeance but totally ignore people disrupting a whole neighborhood by renting a revolving door room out of their house to transient customers on a nightly basis. Go figure?
Old 11-21-2022, 10:28 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,743 Times in 1,225 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSR22 View Post
So do I! There would not be any complaints if people followed the deed restrictions they signed at closing.
Things change.

If 80% of a Village is violating the same restriction, maybe there need to be a way to amend the restriction.
Old 11-21-2022, 11:02 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,995 Times in 1,728 Posts

Ah, the difference between deed restrictions and democracy. People vote with their feet, if they don’t like the deed restrictions, they don’t buy in The Villages. Lots of other places in Florida.
Old 11-22-2022, 04:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Altavia View Post
Things change.

If 80% of a Village is violating the same restriction, maybe there need to be a way to amend the restriction.
Any examples of deed restrictions that should be changed that would likely have widespread support?
Old 11-22-2022, 06:06 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,382 Times in 2,061 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tophcfa View Post
What difference does it really make when violations are selectively enforced. They seem to go after people with little white crosses with vengeance but totally ignore people disrupting a whole neighborhood by renting a revolving door room out of their house to transient customers on a nightly basis. Go figure?
Since one violates the deed restrictions but the other does not (in most areas) that might explain it.

Victor, NY
Randallstown, MD
Yakima, WA
Stevensville, MD
Village of Hillsborough
Old 11-22-2022, 06:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu4206 View Post
I believe you should know who your accuser is.
The "accuser" is the deed restrictions you signed.
Old 11-22-2022, 06:38 AM
Veteran member
Thanked 1,073 Times in 430 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu4206 View Post
I believe you should know who your accuser is.
Why? So you can retaliate?
Old 11-22-2022, 07:04 AM
Sage
Thanked 13,607 Times in 5,195 Posts

As far as I know, I don't have any deed restrictions. If I do, and someone notifies me, I will correct it. I don't care who it is, anonymous or not. It shouldn't matter.
Old 11-22-2022, 07:49 AM

I have always chosen a deed restricted community with covenants to make sure the area stays consistently nice. I am not in favor of the anonymous process. However, I do think the restrictions need to be enforced. That being said, the problem in the Villages is most people have never read their covenants and restrictions and, in fact, do not maybe even know they signed and agreed to them. I think what would help the most is an awareness campaign from the Districts as to what is included so people can take their own actions to correct. Then, have a volunteer committee that notifies people that are out of compliance. This worked well in two of our past neighborhoods. Most people were quick to get into compliance and those that refused, the neighborhood board got involved.
Old 11-22-2022, 07:54 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Two possible reasons. The first reason is because it is not their job. Secondly, and more importantly, if the CDD essentially took over the role of reporting deed restriction violations then they could possibly be accused of selective enforcement. With the current system of only investigating possible deed restriction that are reported by others, it is hard to see how that could happen as long as they uniformly investigate possible deed restriction violations. If the CDD was to take on the job of reporting deed restriction violations then they will have to essentially catch all of them.

Three Common Covenant Enforcement Defenses – Waiver, Estoppel, and Selective Enforcement | Florida Condo & HOA Law Blog

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThirdOfFive View Post
The REAL question here is, why isn't reporting violations the responsibility of Community Watch? Seems like a no-brainer to me.

Last edited by tuccillo; 11-22-2022 at 08:04 AM.
Old 11-22-2022, 08:00 AM

I don't think people's issues are with deed restrictions but as characterized, by Mrs. Kravitz driving the neighborhoods with her clip board and phone and recording what she feels is a deed restriction. One would hope the CDD would clamp down and discourage this behavior. Neighbors can police themselves and often do. I do think the Community Watch could provide some assistance as well since they drive through the area anyways, not to enforce but to report. Stay in your lane....
Old 11-22-2022, 08:01 AM

I wonder if any of you have been the subject of an anonymous complaint? Shortly after we moved here, we received a note on our door stating we were out of compliance due to two metal sand hill crane figures in our front planter. The cranes were held over from a previous owner and according to our next door neighbor had been there for years. We removed the cranes despite the fact that there are other homes in our village and elsewhere that display the same cranes in their front yard (and also various other lawn ornaments) and continue to do so. Does this seem fair to you?
Old 11-22-2022, 08:02 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,657 Times in 1,528 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill14564 View Post
Because Community Watch is to assist us Villagers and not to be a police force we try to avoid.
One could make the argument that, if Community Watch WERE charged with assuring that homeowners in TV follow the covenants in force in their area, they are thus helping ALL law-abiding Villagers by ensuring that egregious violators do not, by their action or inaction, drive property values in the neighborhood down.
Old 11-22-2022, 08:02 AM
Veteran member
Thanked 1,199 Times in 461 Posts

Right, pit neighbor against neighbor in the reporting or stop the reporting so the neighborhood goes to pot. Nice going.
Old 11-22-2022, 08:14 AM
Sage
Send a message via AIM to DonH57

Quote:
Originally Posted by WharfRat View Post
I wonder if any of you have been the subject of an anonymous complaint? Shortly after we moved here, we received a note on our door stating we were out of compliance due to two metal sand hill crane figures in our front planter. The cranes were held over from a previous owner and according to our next door neighbor had been there for years. We removed the cranes despite the fact that there are other homes in our village and elsewhere that display the same cranes in their front yard (and also various other lawn ornaments) and continue to do so. Does this seem fair to you?
It doesn't seem fair but some are targeted and others are not. Also remember not all districts have the same restrictions.
Closed Thread

Tags
complaints, cdd, follow, cdds, time

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.