CDD Maintenance Non-Ad Valorem Assessments

Closed Thread
Old 08-19-2022, 06:57 AM
Veteran member
Thanked 1,087 Times in 297 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tophcfa View Post
The maintenance assessment is properly explained in the last couple of posts. We just got a notice in the mail that CDD1 (our district) is proposing a 15% increase in the annual assessment. I support the assessment and understand that with everything costing more there is a reasonable need for an increase. That being said, I find it disturbing that the required public meeting, providing those paying the assessment an opportunity to take part in public comments on the proposed assessments, is conveniently held during the summer when approximately half the homeowners aren’t in the Villages and can not attend. It seems like they are trying to sneak it through? Why not hold the meeting during the busy season and give the most homeowners possible a chance to be involved in the process?
A mere 15% increase! Oh wait, didn't the Gooberment just tell us that inflation is only running 8%? That evil CDD board must have access to the economy or something! It's a wonder they didn't raise it 50%!

Maybe we need to show up at next year's meeting and make them pass a rule that says they have to live with the same raise the Social Security Administration gave us!
Old 08-19-2022, 07:13 AM

These open meetings are during the budget process, which occurs before the new fiscal year. Our home city held theirs just before the end of the fiscal year, which was June 30. I'm sure other cities/states have different fiscal years. It just so happens TV's begins July 1. Florida has pretty strict Sunshine Laws, as evidenced in the ongoing dispute with the ousted county commissioners. I don't believe the CDD is "hiding" anything pertaining to budget matters by holding public meetings during the budget process.
Old 08-19-2022, 07:14 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,366 Times in 2,395 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueblaze View Post
A mere 15% increase! Oh wait, didn't the Gooberment just tell us that inflation is only running 8%? That evil CDD board must have access to the economy or something! It's a wonder they didn't raise it 50%!

Maybe we need to show up at next year's meeting and make them pass a rule that says they have to live with the same raise the Social Security Administration gave us!
Easy to criticize from afar, without any facts.
Old 08-19-2022, 07:22 AM
Sage
Thanked 12,912 Times in 4,141 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bogie Shooter View Post
Easy to criticize from afar, without any facts.
C'mon, you know better. This is, after all, TOTV
Old 08-19-2022, 07:50 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luggage View Post
The real question should be what is your total tax burden, compared to being outside of the villages such as being in Leesburg proper in a normal home without golf courses or 50 pools?
I live in a senior community in Lake county and my taxes for a 2000 foot home is approximately $1,300 a year, my HOA fees which do not include going to the golf course for free, but do include cable and high-speed internet or roughly $212 a month. We don't have a bond to pay off either. So basically you do get what you pay for more or less, we chose less as we do not golf and we have less flowers than you do and a much less restrictive HOA covenant.
No HOA in The Villages.
Old 08-19-2022, 07:53 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by joelfmi View Post
Never a true word spoken. CDD bonded homes to buy are not the best homes to purchase for a number of reasons,
Another non villager weighs in...........
Old 08-19-2022, 07:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tophcfa View Post
A fiscal year has nothing to do with a calendar year. With a little foresight, the fiscal year could have easily been scheduled so the budgeting process could have been coordinated with the season when the most homeowners would be available. It certainly doesn’t take a rocket scientist to figure out the summer is not the optimal time in a Florida retirement community.

Despite the fact that meeting turnout is typically sparse, it would almost certainly be better attended during the season when most homeowners are in the area.
The counties throughout the State of Florida are on an Oct 1 Fiscal Year. The late summer months are when hearings occur regarding the budget. Just because there are more seasonals that own homes in The Villages does not require a change in how the State Counties conduct their fiscal process. If one is very interested to participate in hearings they are published in newspapers and the Counties websites.
Old 08-19-2022, 08:08 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,388 Times in 2,066 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bogie Shooter View Post
No HOA in The Villages.
A rose by any other name....

No HOA fees, just amenity fees and maintenance fees.

No HOA covenants, just deed restrictions.

No HOA board, just CDD boards and ARC boards.

I suppose one difference is that HOA covenants can be changed while deed restrictions are all but permanent.

Is there any other significant difference?

Victor, NY
Randallstown, MD
Yakima, WA
Stevensville, MD
Village of Hillsborough
Old 08-19-2022, 08:12 AM
Default Cdd

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsimpson View Post
New Owner in March. I just received a notice about Annaul Maintenanc Assessment and increase to same fro the CDD. I don't recal this on any disclosures during the purchase process. Did I overlook this entirely? Is this the "Bond" payment they referenced? Do these $400-500 annual charges continue the rest of our lives??
We come here on a fixed income, calculate what we can afford, buy that new home on a budget, then that fickle finger breaks your best laid plan with gimme more money. I love TV, but give us a bit more of a financial break, please
Old 08-19-2022, 08:36 AM
Sage
Thanked 12,912 Times in 4,141 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Regorp View Post
We come here on a fixed income, calculate what we can afford, buy that new home on a budget, then that fickle finger breaks your best laid plan with gimme more money. I love TV, but give us a bit more of a financial break, please
Why???? Every home, every neighborhood in every town has a price point---the cost of the home and then the maintenance including taxes. Maybe we'd all like to live in Key Biscayne or beachfront in Naples, but can't afford it. No offense, but I would suggest that the fixed income and budget calculation was incomplete, not to mention the effect of inflation.
Old 08-19-2022, 08:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsimpson View Post
New Owner in March. I just received a notice about Annaul Maintenanc Assessment and increase to same fro the CDD. I don't recal this on any disclosures during the purchase process. Did I overlook this entirely? Is this the "Bond" payment they referenced? Do these $400-500 annual charges continue the rest of our lives??
The maintenance assessment is fully disclosed in your Purchase Agreement Contract. It was the very last last page of my contract. It is in Section 10 of the "Payment, Utility and Settlement Information" section of the contract. There it outlines the Estimated CDD Maintenance Assessment and gives you the period this assessment covers (October 1 to September 30) ANNUALLY as well as your CDD Debt Assessment (Bond payment) for the current year and the following year and then your total CDD fees (Assessment plus Bond)for the current year and the following year. Yes, the bond is amortized over 30 years and the interest rate is also disclosed in your contract and this can be paid off just like a mortgage. The Maintenance Assessment is annually and forever.
Old 08-19-2022, 08:48 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,388 Times in 2,066 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisanp@aol.com View Post
The maintenance assessment is fully disclosed in your Purchase Agreement Contract. It was the very last last page of my contract. It is in Section 10 of the "Payment, Utility and Settlement Information" section of the contract. There it outlines the Estimated CDD Maintenance Assessment and gives you the period this assessment covers (October 1 to September 30) ANNUALLY as well as your CDD Debt Assessment (Bond payment) for the current year and the following year and then your total CDD fees (Assessment plus Bond)for the current year and the following year. Yes, the bond is amortized over 30 years and the interest rate is also disclosed in your contract and this can be paid off just like a mortgage. The Maintenance Assessment is annually and forever.
One small difference between the bond loan and a mortgage loan. You can make accelerated payments on a mortgage that are not accepted on the bond. The two options for the bond are to pay the annual amount or to pay it off entirely.

Victor, NY
Randallstown, MD
Yakima, WA
Stevensville, MD
Village of Hillsborough
Old 08-19-2022, 09:08 AM
Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luggage View Post
The real question should be what is your total tax burden, compared to being outside of the villages such as being in Leesburg proper in a normal home without golf courses or 50 pools?
I live in a senior community in Lake county and my taxes for a 2000 foot home is approximately $1,300 a year, my HOA fees which do not include going to the golf course for free, but do include cable and high-speed internet or roughly $212 a month. We don't have a bond to pay off either. So basically you do get what you pay for more or less, we chose less as we do not golf and we have less flowers than you do and a much less restrictive HOA covenant.
Hi
May we ask what community you are in? We're looking to relocate and think the Villages may have to many fees.

Thank You

Richard Donna
Old 08-19-2022, 09:51 AM

The budget process actually begins in April/May, depending on the district or board in question (in my area, the AAC had its budget workshop in April, and the CDD had its workshop in May). The most important meeting in that process is in fact the workshop, where the staff presents scenarios to the board and the board discusses them and possible changes. By law, a preliminary budget must be approved by June 15 and the final budget must be approved by September 15. For CDD 4, there were three members of the public who attended the workshop: two of us who regularly attend all the meetings we can make, and someone who moving into the district.
I agree with others that the fact that the fiscal year begins on October 1 is not a conspiracy against us. There are opportunities in late spring to have an impact on the process, and the agendas and minutes of the subsequent meetings are available online.
One other note that you may or may not consider relevant to this conversation: The assessment rate/fee, set by the Board of Supervisors after input from the public (if any), is much smaller than the amenity fees, set by contract and increased based on the consumer price index. For me, on a yearly basis the amenity fee will be over four times greater than the assessment fee, even after a 20% hike in the assessment fee.
Old 08-19-2022, 09:51 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardDonnaH View Post
Hi
May we ask what community you are in? We're looking to relocate and think the Villages may have to many fees.

Thank You

Richard Donna
You “think” what is too many, have you investigated, had a visit or just read non villager post on TOTV?

Tags
cdd, disclosures, purchase, process, overlook

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.