ceiling crack

Closed Thread
Old 02-27-2018, 03:59 PM
Veteran member
Default ceiling crack

my home is 3 years old , should i contact home warranty about my lanai ceiling crack.
Old 02-27-2018, 04:17 PM
Veteran member

Read the POA finding, it's a joke the engineering report.
My lanai and garage are both insulated from day one and i have cracks. They should of used mesh tape from the beginning and a better quality of drywall compound mix.
It is the product and poor workmanship and lack of knowledge.
There needs to be a class action lawsuit.
I repaired mine with mess tape and a mix of durabond and mud and it has held up much better than the repairs the village did.
Lets see how much trouble this gets me in!
Old 02-27-2018, 04:30 PM
Veteran member

The warranty on your home was one year and during that year they will only come once to repair sheet rock or stucco problems. Getting the crack repaired is very easy. Just get some sheet rock mud at the store, take your finger and smooth it over the crack. Then tape a paint brush to a long broom handle and paint over it. If you can afford a house in TV you should be able to get a handyman to repair if you cannot do yourself.
Old 02-27-2018, 04:33 PM
Sage
Thanked 6,151 Times in 2,249 Posts

I have been waiting to repair to see if anything comes of the POA inquiry into this matter with the developer.
Old 02-27-2018, 04:55 PM

I had them come out and 'repair' mine within the year of the Warranty. They simply slathered a thick layer of flexible mud on the cracks, painted it, and left.

Of course the cracks came back and they are now on top of a thick layer of added on mud. It is worse than before.

I think that you really need to sand down the texture, wet all the joints, pull off the tape, re-tape with mesh tape, re-mud, re-texture, and re-paint.

No easy answers.
Old 02-27-2018, 04:55 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimeForChange View Post
The warranty on your home was one year and during that year they will only come once to repair sheet rock or stucco problems. Getting the crack repaired is very easy. Just get some sheet rock mud at the store, take your finger and smooth it over the crack. Then tape a paint brush to a long broom handle and paint over it. If you can afford a house in TV you should be able to get a handyman to repair if you cannot do yourself.
yes i can do all that but the crack will come back.
Old 02-27-2018, 06:57 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,310 Times in 824 Posts

Can you believe there is any validity to poor workmanship ? I have only heard of 100's of people making this same claim. Contact the POA and give them more ammunition to help out this situation. Lanai's are the main living area of many houses here. Making any excuse for this is BS. Keep making noise you have been short sheeted.
Old 02-27-2018, 07:00 PM
Veteran member

I had the Sumter county. bldg. inspector come to my home and look at the cracks, his opinion was the seams were not taped properly. I asked why did they approve the work and he said they do not inspect the work in the villages they have their own inspectors. My concern is the fire protection inside the garage could be jeopardized. Which would be a code violation
Old 02-27-2018, 10:20 PM
Default Cracked Lanai Ceilings

Quote:
Originally Posted by villagetinker View Post
I have been waiting to repair to see if anything comes of the POA inquiry into this matter with the developer.
Me too! Haven't heard anything further regarding POA action since engineer looked into it. Few months? Wonder if it's just been dropped.

Ceilings (both the lanai and garage) are looking worse and worse. The first repair didn't hold very long.
Old 02-28-2018, 07:51 AM

I have had the same problem. Had it repaired twice. The dry waller said it will happen again. There is no stud under the seam. It is just taped and mud applied. I’m as well waiting for POA.
Old 02-28-2018, 08:22 AM

I am a roof truss manufacturer from Illinois. We deal with these drywall crack issues every year. My guess is the cold weather we had here in the Villages a month ago had a lot to do with these drywall cracks appearing. When the bottom chord of the trusses are insulated and warm and the top chords and webs are not during an extreme temperature change they will expand and contract therefore causing drywall cracks at the weakest point. The reason these cracks appear along the seams every 4 feet is not due to bad tape, its due to 2nd or 3rd coats of mud being applied to soon in high humidity. If you do some research on USG drywall installation you will find that in high humidity you should not apply an additional coat of mud to a joint for 2-3 days. My best guess is due to the limited time frame these contractors have, that procedure was not practiced.
Old 02-28-2018, 08:31 AM

Now I will explain in detail the repair that has worked for me on some of the houses I built in Illinois. I have a very good drywall contractor with 30+ years experience. He slightly grooved the drywall crack and reapplied a Quickset 90 drywall mud, feathered out approximately 6 inches wide. After 2 days he lightly sanded it and used a special sponge to dab the texture and make it match the existing texture, which is very tedious and hard to do. Then it was repainted and it turned out beautiful and has held up 2 years now with no cracks.
Old 02-28-2018, 09:09 AM
Sage

Steve Kling Painting repaired ours in 2016 when they repainted the house. So far, so good.
Old 02-28-2018, 10:02 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,254 Times in 425 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jchase View Post
I have had the same problem. Had it repaired twice. The dry waller said it will happen again. There is no stud under the seam. It is just taped and mud applied. I’m as well waiting for POA.
There HAS to be a stud behind EVERY seam! The installers were incompetent or just didn't care.

Last edited by New Englander; 02-28-2018 at 10:49 AM.
Old 02-28-2018, 10:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by new englander View Post
there has to be a stud behind every seem! The installers were incompetent or just didn't care.
This statement is right on the mark.
Closed Thread

Tags
home, ceiling, crack, warranty, contact

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.