Celebrate your luck if you are able to be at your Villages Home : )

Closed Thread
Old 12-03-2019, 08:09 PM
Sage
Thanked 6,151 Times in 2,249 Posts

Oh I remember these storms, we moved shortly after "snowmegadeon" the October 31 snow storm, that left use without power for 5 days, glad I had a portable generator. House was gas heat, and we had 2 other families living with us since we had heat. Left the snow blower, generator, snow shovels, ice shoes, etc., with the old house, and I do not consider anything cold until it get to below 40 degrees. I love Florida weather in the winter.
Old 12-03-2019, 10:49 PM
Platinum member

Your northern house is lovely.

We’ve lived in Florida for 22 years and still don’t miss the snow. Commuting into NYC didn’t help.

Our last fun was in 1996 when we had 37” in Northeastern N.J.

We enjoyed giving away the snow shovels.
Old 12-04-2019, 09:04 AM
Veteran member

I feel your pain. I'm from northern Illinois and I remember 2 feet of snow there. I'm so glad I'm here. Stay safe.
Old 12-04-2019, 09:13 AM

How dare you post such disgusting pictures of that STUFF! just kidding.
snow is a 4 letter word. Don't miss it AT ALL!!! ;o)
Old 12-04-2019, 09:17 AM
Veteran member
Thanked 1,204 Times in 465 Posts

Got a little in NJ but it hit up further north with more. Usually do not see snow this early but happy to see some snow before we head down. It is lovely and in the spirit of the season.
Old 12-04-2019, 10:38 AM

Just arrived home from The Villages last night to cold and snow in CT. Heading back to the TV at end of the month. Needless to say....being a snowbird is becoming more and more attractive!
Old 12-04-2019, 11:19 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,017 Times in 1,743 Posts

Your house is art worthy, I can see it on holiday cards. Thank you for sharing it. The dog with all that fur seems right at home in the snow.
We had snow too, and ice rain. The squirrels had a hard time walking on the wires.
Attached Thumbnails
The Villages Florida: Click image for larger version

Name:	C0D5C5F6-C639-4B7E-AA1B-4A083D870B74.jpeg
Views:	911
Size:	27.6 KB
ID:	82093   The Villages Florida: Click image for larger version

Name:	7CFE4D3B-B740-4F44-A728-B559775BE631.jpg
Views:	378
Size:	13.9 KB
ID:	82094   The Villages Florida: Click image for larger version

Name:	E37333D2-69C2-4217-9528-DA4DEAE2E957.jpg
Views:	340
Size:	19.5 KB
ID:	82095  
Old 12-05-2019, 11:30 AM
Michael Charles

Quote:
Originally Posted by tophcfa View Post
Well, winter is here in full force up north. How we wish we were at our Villages home. Below are some pictures. The snow started yesterday at about 3 PM and has not stopped yet. The first pictures are when I finished plowing this afternoon at about 2 PM. I don't know what I would do without my trusty Kabuta Tractor. My amateur welding of the rusty snow blade seemed to hold up, so I got that going for me. Next are a couple of pictures taken at the next snow clean up at about 9:30 PM. So far we have about a foot and a half of snow here in the Berkshires, and it is supposed to keep snowing until about 8 AM tomorrow. We should have close to 2 feet when it's all done. I have to admit that the first snow of the year is kind of special, but once it turns to frozen ice and is a slipping hazard for the next 4 months it really suck$. I would have much preferred to be driving our golf cart out for 18 holes at the Villages today than plowing snow, but what can you do? At least our border collie enjoyed the storm. We can't wait until Christmas is over so we can pack up the truck and head south for New Years : )
Ah, such beautiful photos of the place I once called home, The Berkshires! Yes, I recall so many wonderful snowstorms that had us huddled in the garage trying get the old snowblower started! Just this morning here in my new home in TV, village of McClure, I peeked out the window as our lawn service cut the grass! I guess you were busy with your Kubota! Then perhaps shoveling the steps going up to your gorgeous home. Stay warm, it'll only get up to 68 here today! Safe travels.
Old 12-05-2019, 12:55 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,077 Times in 2,744 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Velvet View Post
Your house is art worthy, I can see it on holiday cards. Thank you for sharing it. The dog with all that fur seems right at home in the snow.
We had snow too, and ice rain. The squirrels had a hard time walking on the wires.
I love it, we have two wires strung up to hang our bird feeders from. I used a very thin gauge wire that the squirrels can't walk on. We have been trying to win the battle with the squirrels for years and finally won. It's fun to watch them try to get to the bird feeders and fall off the wire into the snow below. I have to hang the feeders high enough that I need a ladder to fill them so that the bears can't reach up and rip them down. Ever since we put up the wires we use about 1/4 of the amount of sunflower seeds since we are no longer feeding an army of squirrels.
Old 12-05-2019, 02:06 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,039 Times in 373 Posts

If this is becoming a squirrel story .... I have one which even I have a hard time believing. We keep our birdseed in a big metal container in the garage, but also keep a small amount of birdseed in a large open pot which houses our hose. I cannot get the lid off the cookie can because it is beginning to rust and my other half has a hard time opening it. We got back from a 10 day trip to find the cookie can open and actually removed from the hose pot and laying on our patio - they must have carried it!, the seed had emptied into the hose pot and they had chewed through the hose to get to the seed in the bottom of the pot. It really is a never ending battle with those pesky creatures.

Law of Logical Argument: Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about!

Since light travels faster than sound, some people appear bright until you hear them speak
Old 12-05-2019, 04:42 PM
Sage

Living here has nothing to do with luck, sooner or later you make the choice that getting out of a harsh life threatening environment. especially for senior 's is a smart move-- $$ - doesn't = personal safety--bail if U can
Old 12-05-2019, 04:57 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by tophcfa View Post
The storm is over and clean up is done. The final snow count is 21.5 inches (probably a little more because of the wind blowing some snow away) as measured from the top of our picnic table. Now the high winds and drifting start, next will be the thaw and refreeze so everything turns to slippery ice. Getting too old for this stuff!
Hurry home. We'll leave the lights on for ya.
Old 12-05-2019, 05:43 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,922 Times in 783 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chatbrat View Post
Living here has nothing to do with luck, sooner or later you make the choice that getting out of a harsh life threatening environment. especially for senior 's is a smart move-- $$ - doesn't = personal safety--bail if U can
I think they probably enjoy their home in The Berkshires. It certainly is a gorgeous setting. Just trying to share a little frosty fun & some pics.
Old 12-06-2019, 10:45 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,578 Times in 1,323 Posts

We got a foot of snow 3 weeks ago, it was so pretty. When we are in TV I miss the snow, when we are up north I miss the warm days, but not the really cold days in TV

Tags
snow, pictures, villages, plowing, home

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.