Celebration vs TV

Closed Thread
Old 07-13-2019, 07:37 PM
Veteran member
Default Celebration vs TV

Interesting read and video. Celebration has a lot in common with TV. Your thoughts?

[url=http://www.news.com.au/travel/world-travel/north-america/the-creepy-history-of-disneys-perfect-town/news-story

Last edited by UpNorth; 07-13-2019 at 07:43 PM.
Old 07-13-2019, 07:56 PM
Gold member
Thanked 1,668 Times in 529 Posts

[QUOTE=UpNorth;1664037]Interesting read and video. Celebration has a lot in common with TV. Your thoughts?

[url=http://www.news.com.au/travel/world-travel/north-america/the-creepy-history-of-disneys-perfect-town/news-story[/QUOTE]

My first thought is the link doesn't work.
Steve
Old 07-13-2019, 08:02 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,507 Times in 677 Posts

Disney’s ‘perfect town’: The creepy village on outskirts of Disney World
Old 07-13-2019, 08:51 PM
Platinum member
Thanked 3,517 Times in 712 Posts

Not even close. The quickest example is the Villages Charter School, one to the top rated school systems in the state.

The rest, well I guess Disney failed at something. They should have taken lessons for how to create a planned community for one of the most successful ones 60 miles to the northwest.
www.goldwingnut.com
YouTube –YouTube.com/GoldWingnut and YouTube.com/GoldWingnutProductions
Carpe diem quam minimum credula postero
Society is produced by our wants, and government by wickedness; the former promotes our happiness positively by uniting our affections, the latter negatively by restraining our vices. - Thomas Paine, 1/10/1776
Old 07-13-2019, 09:01 PM
Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldwingnut View Post
Not even close. The quickest example is the Villages Charter School, one to the top rated school systems in the state.

The rest, well I guess Disney failed at something. They should have taken lessons for how to create a planned community for one of the most successful ones 60 miles to the northwest.

It's sad, but unfortunately, Florida is not known for having good schools.

I'm glad to hear that the Charter School is one of the top-rated schools in the state, but probably still falls short when compared to the school system in other states.
Old 07-13-2019, 09:42 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,480 Times in 713 Posts

Quote:

I would hardly consider Celebration a failed community. You should check it out sometime and see it for yourself. It is quite remarkable. That video was totally slanted. BTW, Celebration broke ground in 1994. LSL is a lot like its town center. Here's a video:

Welcome to Celebration, Florida! - Kissimmee InSight - YouTube

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
Old 07-14-2019, 04:44 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Location: Drayton Plains, MI, Vietnam, Waterford, MI, Pennacamp, Fernandina, Duval, 1 retired in Richmond
Thanked 1,588 Times in 567 Posts

The homes in celebration are unique southern style, all driveways are in the back, leaving front porch visiting the same as a small town in the south. The restaurants have food that we could only hope for here.
First time we stayed was 2000, mainly for the medical facilities, closeness to Disney, and the small town feel.
The school system was not even on our minds. That ship passed long time ago
Old 07-14-2019, 06:08 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,770 Times in 1,240 Posts

[QUOTE=thelegges;1664067]The homes in celebration are unique southern style, all driveways are in the back, leaving front porch visiting the same as a small town in the south. The restaurants have food that we could only hope for here.
/QUOTE]

That model has been replicated successfully many other places in Florida and around the country.

As much as it seems people like to complain about the developer/family, the advantage I sense for The Villages is the multi-generationlong term planning/vision that would not be possible with shorter term financial goals/stockholders.
Old 07-14-2019, 08:14 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

It would appear that one is an all age community and one is a community for only those" better" in age.

The choice was clear for us 13 years ago and we haven't changed our mind. The three of us LOVE it in The Villages.
Old 07-14-2019, 08:15 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 3,517 Times in 712 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chi-Town View Post
I would hardly consider Celebration a failed community. You should check it out sometime and see it for yourself. It is quite remarkable. That video was totally slanted. BTW, Celebration broke ground in 1994. LSL is a lot like its town center. Here's a video:

Welcome to Celebration, Florida! - Kissimmee InSight - YouTube

You are right, I must apologize to all for doing exactly what I hate that others do, making a rash uniformed post based on what was an obviously biased article. I was wrong and should not have said that Celebration was a failure, it is a very nice community and my wife and I actually looked at it during its initial offering years ago but found the prices way outside our budgets at the time.

There may be some truth in what was said in the on-line article within the bias, how much would require additional research.

I've now overcome the severe coffee deficiency I was experiencing this morning and am thinking much more clearly.
www.goldwingnut.com
YouTube –YouTube.com/GoldWingnut and YouTube.com/GoldWingnutProductions
Carpe diem quam minimum credula postero
Society is produced by our wants, and government by wickedness; the former promotes our happiness positively by uniting our affections, the latter negatively by restraining our vices. - Thomas Paine, 1/10/1776
Old 07-14-2019, 09:33 AM
Veteran member
Location: Upstate NY, So Fla, Louisiana, So Fla, Santiago and now Bonnybrook

Quote:

Not too many Villagers care about schools for their kids to go to
Old 07-14-2019, 09:48 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,661 Times in 727 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by gatorbill1 View Post
Not too many Villagers care about schools for their kids to go to
You are correct. My kids are long out of school...... but I care about the schools here for the children of the people we need to work here. And I care about the schools because our school taxes support them. I also want all children to get a good education. It appears the kids in our Charter Schools are.
Old 07-14-2019, 10:04 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,954 Times in 1,160 Posts

The biggest difference is our average age is 70 and their average age is 41. Here almost no one works and if they do, it's part-time and in many instances for TV. Celebration are people in the prime of their life commuting to Orlando or somewhere for a high paying job, children will be involved, young and grown, lifestyle has to be completely different. That is apples and oranges. A person coming from the north would be moving to a community much like they live now, but with newer housing.
Old 07-14-2019, 01:02 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,167 Times in 1,928 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midnight Cowgirl View Post
It's sad, but unfortunately, Florida is not known for having good schools.

I'm glad to hear that the Charter School is one of the top-rated schools in the state, but probably still falls short when compared to the school system in other states.
I was shocked to read about Celebration's school system having 80 students of different grades with three teachers in one class. Who does that? What was Disney thinking with that set up?
Old 07-14-2019, 01:47 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,480 Times in 713 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by coffeebean View Post
I was shocked to read about Celebration's school system having 80 students of different grades with three teachers in one class. Who does that? What was Disney thinking with that set up?
That article was a hard one to quote. Somebody had an agenda.

Last edited by Chi-Town; 07-14-2019 at 01:52 PM.
Closed Thread

Tags
celebration, common, thoughts, lot, interesting

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.