Cell Phone Rudeness

Closed Thread
Old 01-07-2020, 09:28 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,751 Times in 1,386 Posts

Remember MADD? Mothers against drunk driving!!!
There was a significant representation by the non drinking mothers of America to try to have an impact on drunk driving.

Since the issues/problems/accidents/deaths statistics due to cell phone use are reputed to be an even higher incidence rate, why is there no similar outcry?

Because in the case of cell phone usage the mothers are in that user group.

The epitome of hypocrisy!!

Just observe young mothers anywhere in public and see the shocking behavior of mothers on their cell phones completely ignoring the well being of children in their charge.

They are not just rude but in fact a danger to their own children.

There is no fixing of the problem as parents begin their children's use and dependence of cell phones/game boys/etc.......and of course mimicking Mom and Dad.
Old 01-07-2020, 10:26 AM
Soaring Eagle member

When I go to a restaurant I go there to eat, not to show everybody at the table a joke. If my phone is on it’s always, always on Bluetooth so it goes directly to my hearing aides. If someone wants me to look at their phone it better be pictures not a video. You wouldn’t go to the Dr. & start talking on your phone or at church. Turn your damn phones off!
Old 01-07-2020, 10:43 AM
Sage
Thanked 9,496 Times in 3,100 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioBuckeye View Post
When I go to a restaurant I go there to eat, not to show everybody at the table a joke. If my phone is on it’s always, always on Bluetooth so it goes directly to my hearing aides. If someone wants me to look at their phone it better be pictures not a video. You wouldn’t go to the Dr. & start talking on your phone or at church. Turn your damn phones off!
going to your hearing aids is a nifty feature. However - are you engaging in conversation with whoever is calling your hearing aids, while you're with other people "live and in person"?

Might want to enact a scene like this:

>Buckeye at a table with 3 other people, all enjoying conversation and perusing the menu pre-order.
>Buckeye's eyes blink rapidly and the focus suddenly becomes distant, and he says, to no one in particular, "Hello? Oh hi Cindy!"
Everyone at the table falls silent and stares at Buckeye.
>With a sheepish smile toward each face at the table, Buckeye says, pointing to his ear, "Oh excuse me - I have a call." He turns away from the table on his chair, and says in a soft near-whisper, "I'm at lunch with some folks at a restaurant Cindy. I'll call you back when we're through."
>Buckeye touches a hidden remote control secured to his beltloop, and returns to the conversation at the table.

If you're doing anything else, I hope it is standing up and stepping out of the restaurant so your conversation doesn't disturb everyone else.

People seem to forget, as soon as they're the ones answering the phone, that phone conversations tend to be much louder than "live in person" conversations. When everyone can hear your end of the discussion, it becomes a disruption on THEIR audial space.
Old 01-07-2020, 11:56 AM
Sage

The Admiral is of Italian heritage, short hot fuse--she can handle things herself--sometimes its the best show in town
Old 01-07-2020, 01:03 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,343 Times in 519 Posts

It's 2020 accept what it is and you'll be happier
Old 01-07-2020, 02:16 PM
Platinum member

I just had lunch with a doozy of a cell phone hooligan. Well, it felt like we were having lunch together even though he was 30 feet away. The old guy received a phone call just as his meal arrived, spent ten minutes on the phone, and after he hung up, he complained to the waitress that his pancakes were cold.
Old 01-07-2020, 02:29 PM
Sage

Got my first cell back in 83/84 it was a Nokia Mobira--cost $2800.00 and a dollar a minute both ways, well back in 2000 we we on our boat and docked in Chicago--we went to a so-called fine Italian restaurant, @ the adjacent table a person was on the phone, talking rather loudly I parroted the conversation word for word-everyone near by was in hysterics laughing
Old 01-07-2020, 03:25 PM
Platinum member
Thanked 3,224 Times in 929 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by karostay View Post
So no matter how rude or crude the behavior it's acceptable because its 2020.
Old 01-07-2020, 03:25 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,625 Times in 1,884 Posts

Our kids who came for a visit two weeks ago are about the worst I've ever witnessed. They don't have any other serious addictions that I know of so I accept their phone addiction. Where I draw the line is when we are eating or I am counseling them on any issue they have presented to me to help them conquer. If they choose to answer the phone during our time together or look at an email or text its ballgame over. I tried having everyone including me put the phones in a wicker basket while we were eating. They all complied and so did I. It was me who got busted sneaking a peek when the girls went to the kitchen and my son went to fetch the vittles off the grill. Man did I get blasted and rightfully so.

I'm presently in a 12 Step Program to Control my Cell Phone Addiction One Day At A Time! I'm looking forward to getting my 30 Day Chip! There is Nobody To Sponsor Me as NOBODY can make it past 30 Days.

I don't disrespect friends by taking calls without asking first. I only disrespect my family except for The Almirante. She has no fuse!

Last edited by Nucky; 01-07-2020 at 03:40 PM. Reason: spealink
Old 01-07-2020, 03:38 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeBlossomBaby View Post
going to your hearing aids is a nifty feature. However - are you engaging in conversation with whoever is calling your hearing aids, while you're with other people "live and in person"?

Might want to enact a scene like this:

>Buckeye at a table with 3 other people, all enjoying conversation and perusing the menu pre-order.
>Buckeye's eyes blink rapidly and the focus suddenly becomes distant, and he says, to no one in particular, "Hello? Oh hi Cindy!"
Everyone at the table falls silent and stares at Buckeye.
>With a sheepish smile toward each face at the table, Buckeye says, pointing to his ear, "Oh excuse me - I have a call." He turns away from the table on his chair, and says in a soft near-whisper, "I'm at lunch with some folks at a restaurant Cindy. I'll call you back when we're through."
>Buckeye touches a hidden remote control secured to his beltloop, and returns to the conversation at the table.

If you're doing anything else, I hope it is standing up and stepping out of the restaurant so your conversation doesn't disturb everyone else.

People seem to forget, as soon as they're the ones answering the phone, that phone conversations tend to be much louder than "live in person" conversations. When everyone can hear your end of the discussion, it becomes a disruption on THEIR audial space.
You’re exaggerating my comment. I think the original comment here was hearing a joke not a conversation with friends or family or “Cindy”. I’ll say it again, I might look at a text or email, IF I have my phone on. All I said was, if I would listen (if I had my phone on to listen on my Bluetooth) but I wouldn’t not talk or take phone calls to interrupt the people I’m with. I also said I would listen through my hearing aides so I wouldn’t be rude to have a loud conversation! If I had my phone on, but I don’t. Sorry, I should of made my comment a little clearer, but I was just trying to make it short & not to long!
Old 01-07-2020, 07:20 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,751 Times in 1,386 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by karostay View Post
Unacceptable roll over!

Accepting crude/rude/inconsiderate cell phone use in public is just wrong.
Old 01-08-2020, 12:28 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioBuckeye View Post
You wouldn’t go to the Dr. & start talking on your phone or at church. Turn your damn phones off!
Old 01-08-2020, 08:12 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 2,663 Times in 941 Posts

Mobile phones are an integral part of today's America. We can choose to hold onto our outdayed beliefs, or join the modern era. Playing a video on a cell phone is no louder that some of the loud converstion that takes place among people that can't hear so well anymore. The irritation is due to the perception that cell phones are optional and should be put away. When you decide the "should be" for everyone else in the room, you are bound to become irritated when they do something else.

I agree with some of the others. Learn to live with it. You'll be happier for it.
Old 01-08-2020, 08:16 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,343 Times in 519 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marathon Man View Post
Mobile phones are an integral part of today's America. We can choose to hold onto our outdayed beliefs, or join the modern era. Playing a video on a cell phone is no louder that some of the loud converstion that takes place among people that can't hear so well anymore. The irritation is due to the perception that cell phones are optional and should be put away. When you decide the "should be" for everyone else in the room, you are bound to become irritated when they do something else.

I agree with some of the others. Learn to live with it. You'll be happier for it.
Couldn't have said it any better myself
Old 01-08-2020, 10:52 AM

It's the 2020 equivalent of walking around with a walkman/headphones on all day.

New generation. New toy.
Closed Thread

Tags
phone, restaurant, cell, complained, rude

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.