Cell phones in restaurants

Closed Thread
Old 02-25-2014, 08:05 AM
Default Cell phones in restaurants

There is a recent post about hats in restaurants. I'm not sure why this is so bothersome to some as it is mostly seen in in golf course country clubs where folks have just come off the golf course. I find loud, obnoxious cell phone use to be much more annoying as it actually intrudes on your dining experience much more than hats ever will.
Old 02-25-2014, 08:10 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,039 Times in 373 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by advp007 View Post
There is a recent post about hats in restaurants. I'm not sure why this is so bothersome to some as it is mostly seen in in golf course country clubs where folks have just come off the golf course. I find loud, obnoxious cell phone use to be much more annoying as it actually intrudes on your dining experience much more than hats ever will.
I agree! But, what really bothers me is the fact that the 'powers that be' are actually considering allowing cell phones to be used on flights -------- Imagine doing a long distance flight with someone next to you on their phone for most of the time.

Law of Logical Argument: Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about!

Since light travels faster than sound, some people appear bright until you hear them speak
Old 02-25-2014, 08:18 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,343 Times in 519 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by advp007 View Post
Thank You Thank You Ditto
Old 02-25-2014, 08:20 AM
Sage
Location: the villages since 04. Lived in Alaska, Texas, California, Massachusetts, Maine, Maryland, New York
Thanked 7,025 Times in 1,207 Posts

I am willing to say that a large percentage of people complaining about hats in restaurants are guilty of using cell phones in restaurants. I may be wrong.
Old 02-25-2014, 08:33 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,343 Times in 519 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by alemorkam View Post
I am willing to say that a large percentage of people complaining about hats in restaurants are guilty of using cell phones in restaurants. I may be wrong.
perhaps we can kill two birds with one thread
Old 02-25-2014, 09:21 AM

If they weren't on the phone having a conversation then they would be talking with the party they showed up with. Either way if they are loud then they are loud. It is what it is. People have no tolerance for things that are different than what they want or expect. The world has changed, accept it or pull ur hair out.
Old 02-25-2014, 09:24 AM

I say let them talk. It could be good news, could be bad news, most of all it could be the last time they get to talk to each other. You can't count on there being a tomorrow so enjoy today. Enjoy the limited time you have left in this world.
Old 02-25-2014, 09:31 AM
Sage
Location: the villages since 04. Lived in Alaska, Texas, California, Massachusetts, Maine, Maryland, New York
Thanked 7,025 Times in 1,207 Posts

If someone is two or three tables away in a restaurant and wearing a hat it would not bother my enjoying my meal. If someone was two or three tables away talking loudly on a cellphone it surely would. Myself I think both are wrong
Old 02-25-2014, 09:41 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,751 Times in 1,386 Posts

cell phone usage is just as much a pollutant as cigarette smoke.
They should either be banned from many public venues or allow the venue to have an electronic jammer present.

How many times has any one of us been in a doctors office, where there is a sign requesting to turn off the cell phones. And how many times does one not only go off, but the inconsiderate person just jabbers away. Is it me or do people using cell phones feel compelled to talk more loudly when on their phone.

We somehow all survived when our phones were tethered to the walls by wires.

There seems to be no common sense or courtesy with the majority of cell phone users.

If there was a personal, immediate area around me, cell phone jammer available, I would have one.....and it would be on 24/7.
Old 02-25-2014, 09:47 AM
Veteran member

How about the guy who brings his dog to the restaurant, keeps his hat on, talks loudly on his phone, complains about the meal and service, doesn't tip well, then goes back to the square and looks for the seat he saved two hours ago.
Did I miss anything ? LOL
Old 02-25-2014, 09:52 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,922 Times in 783 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by billethkid View Post
cell phone usage is just as much a pollutant as cigarette smoke.
They should either be banned from many public venues or allow the venue to have an electronic jammer present.

How many times has any one of us been in a doctors office, where there is a sign requesting to turn off the cell phones. And how many times does one not only go off, but the inconsiderate person just jabbers away. Is it me or do people using cell phones feel compelled to talk more loudly when on their phone.

We somehow all survived when our phones were tethered to the walls by wires.

There seems to be no common sense or courtesy with the majority of cell phone users.

If there was a personal, immediate area around me, cell phone jammer available, I would have one.....and it would be on 24/7.

I'll take a hat over a cell phone any day. If you find such a jammer, let me know.
Old 02-25-2014, 10:01 AM

i think the last post just about covered the "major" issues we talk about. concerning the cells, if one must have a conversation, how about just stepping outside? if removing a hat in a restaurant is a common courtesy, than not interjecting one's phone conversations on others is also a common courtesy.
Old 02-25-2014, 10:05 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,751 Times in 1,386 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoopsterdad View Post
i think the last post just about covered the "major" issues we talk about. concerning the cells, if one must have a conversation, how about just stepping outside? if removing a hat in a restaurant is a common courtesy, than not interjecting one's phone conversations on others is also a common courtesy.
Now how reasonable is this?
If we all agree to politely notify the violators then over time it will be back to normal. Like most subjects requiring action instead of just words....it will never happen.....unfortunately!
Old 02-25-2014, 10:38 AM
Veteran member

This is definitely a generational thing. Young people today are generally not the culprits but more often are seasoned folks. I only speak for myself, but most of my communication by way of cell/smart phone is texting or other social media. For many people my age and down, it's the same story. Now, this is just my observation, but almost every time I've witnessed rude cell phone behavior it is from someone older. So please, don't jam my service!

Dr. Seuss
Old 02-25-2014, 10:40 AM
Sage

I have been in The Villages about 4 years and eat out about 3 times a week. I have not noticed many people talking on cell phones at all. Quite a few seem to text but not talk.

I do agree it is very annoying to hear phone talk and would be real annoyed with a phone chatter in a plane.

Oh, got to go now - my phone is ringing!
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.