Cell phones in restaurants

Closed Thread
Old 02-27-2014, 07:06 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,493 Times in 1,903 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by CFrance View Post
I am dealing with it. I'm expressing my disgust over arrogance and poor manners. And I'm entitled to my opinion without receiving rancorous comebacks.

In my opinion, your idea of tolerance sounds like chaos. What tolerance do those carrying on loud cell phone conversations in restaurants have for the people around them?

Diplomacy is an art, stemming from a thoughtful and pleasant attitude. It is a skillful ploy, a useful tool, requires some patience and forebearance and is something that you learn at your mother's knee. Your mother was a diplomat, CFrance.

Oh. And sometimes I think it is geographic.
Old 02-27-2014, 07:13 AM
Veteran member

[QUOTE=graciegirl;836143]Diplomacy is an art, stemming from a thoughtful and pleasant attitude. It is a skillful ploy, a useful tool, requires some patience and forebearance and is something that you learn at your mother's knee. Your mother was a diplomat, CFrance.

Ooooh, nice definition! I like that. Now if I can just master that art. Isn't that just always the rub?
Old 02-27-2014, 11:01 AM
Eternal Member
Location: Formerly Refrigerated in Upstate NY, Now in village near Colony Plaza
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
Diplomacy is an art, stemming from a thoughtful and pleasant attitude. It is a skillful ploy, a useful tool, requires some patience and forebearance and is something that you learn at your mother's knee. Your mother was a diplomat, CFrance.
Diplomacy is also the art of letting someone have it your way!

~ AND ~

The Villages Florida
"SMILE... TOMORROW MAY BE EVEN WORSE!"
Old 02-27-2014, 11:13 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,922 Times in 783 Posts

Aw, skyguy, you come up with the best doodads--pictures, gifs, icons...

(BTW, this dog doesn't know it yet, but that cat's gonna rule him!)
Old 02-27-2014, 05:07 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by hema54 View Post
I say let them talk. It could be good news, could be bad news, most of all it could be the last time they get to talk to each other. You can't count on there being a tomorrow so enjoy today. Enjoy the limited time you have left in this world.
Well, that's the whole point of this thread; we want to be able to enjoy our meal when we're eating in a restaurant. There's a time and place for everything.
Old 02-27-2014, 05:17 PM
Sage

Originally Posted by hema54 View Post
I say let them talk. It could be good news, could be bad news, most of all it could be the last time they get to talk to each other. You can't count on there being a tomorrow so enjoy today. Enjoy the limited time you have left in this world.

It could also be the last time I get to talk to the people at my dinner table. This actually happened to us at breakfast one time, with the sudden death of a friend happening later in the day.

So who's to say whose "last conversation" takes precedence--the diners' or the cell phone user's? I say it comes down to the location. You are in a restaurant, so the diners take precedent. Take your cell phone conversation outside.
Old 02-27-2014, 05:21 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by rayschic View Post
How about the guy who brings his dog to the restaurant, keeps his hat on, talks loudly on his phone, complains about the meal and service, doesn't tip well, then goes back to the square and looks for the seat he saved two hours ago.
Did I miss anything ? LOL
This guy, and the people he was with, would laugh so loudly you'd have to stop talking 3 table away. If they were in the olympics, they would have won a gold metal for loud laughing. It's worse than someone being on a cell phone. Where do people think they are when they laugh so loudly? Don't they have any volume control?
Old 02-27-2014, 05:50 PM

As far as wearing a hat in a restaurant is plain poor manners.

For the cell phones in public places the same thing, I think with the usage with
cell phones I think it becomes addictive and they just can't stop.

It's the same on this site which I check every day their are people who just have to comment on just about every comment and I think most of the people who again comment time and time again are just addicted to the site, they have to comment just like a drug addict.
Old 02-27-2014, 06:01 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by pivo View Post

For the cell phones in public places the same thing, I think with the usage with

It's the same on this site which I check every day their are people who just have to comment on just about every comment and I think most of the people who again comment time and time again are just addicted to the site, they have to comment just like a drug addict.
At least we aren't drowning out your dinner conversation!
Old 02-27-2014, 07:27 PM

To me hats and cell phones are not a problem. What I cant stand is someone blowing there nose when you are eating / swallowing. To me that is discusting, then they put the hankerchief in their pocket. Talk about carrying around a pocket full of germs. Then who is the lucky person that has to pull it apart and wash this so it can be reused?
Old 02-27-2014, 07:37 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron1Z View Post
What I cant stand is someone blowing there nose when you are eating / swallowing. To me that is discusting, then they put the hankerchief in their pocket. Then who is the lucky person that has to pull it apart and wash this so it can be reused?
Ummm ... perhaps I'm wrong ... but don't most people use disposable tissues these days?

Re: talking on cell phones in public places ... please use your "inside voice". And then we all get to have what we want.
Old 02-27-2014, 07:40 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron1Z View Post
To me hats and cell phones are not a problem. What I cant stand is someone blowing there nose when you are eating / swallowing. To me that is discusting, then they put the hankerchief in their pocket. Talk about carrying around a pocket full of germs. Then who is the lucky person that has to pull it apart and wash this so it can be reused?
I agree, in part. It could be worse if they use their napkin and then the bussers or wait staff have to handle it.
Amarillo, TX
The Villages, FL

To quote my dad:
"I never did see a board that didn't have two sides."
Old 02-27-2014, 07:53 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pivo View Post

Posting (commenting) is a form of communication. Really great when there is nothing worth watching on TV and activity is somewhat restricted or for whatever reason, including no reason beyond enjoyment. This site is for comments....information, opinions, jokes, etc. Everyone is equally entitled to post or not post, read or not read.

As I stated before, my cell phone is my husband's life-line (mine, too, sometimes). If I have to take a call in a restaurant, I do excuse myself from the table and step outside. No problem. People who know me, know the situation and those who don't need to reserve their judgment of others until they fill that person's shoes. Besides, I sure don't want my doctor to turn off his phone when one of us might need him and the hospital calls.
Amarillo, TX
The Villages, FL

To quote my dad:
"I never did see a board that didn't have two sides."
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.