Cellular coverage in Fenney Area

Closed Thread
Old 09-05-2018, 08:40 AM
Default Cellular coverage in Fenney Area

I may be the last to know (not unusual), but for anyone interested, it appears that the cell service is much improved in the Fenney area - at least for Verizon. I was told a while back that a tower had already been installed to service the area but had not been activated yet. But, as of some time last week, the service is noticeably improved. My iPhone now consistently shows LTE and several "bars" all over as opposed to sporadic to no service depending on where you were standing at the time.
Old 09-05-2018, 10:55 AM
Location: Village of Hillsborough. (Past) Gilbertsvile, PA and Philadelphia, PA

Thanks for the information. I noticed that on Saturday when I was down there
Old 09-05-2018, 12:25 PM

Good to know...
Old 09-06-2018, 10:03 PM

No improvement for AT&T as of yet.........(sigh)
Old 09-07-2018, 06:06 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,751 Times in 1,386 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVthereyet View Post
No improvement for AT&T as of yet.........(sigh)
And that goes for more than just Fenney.
AT&T seems to be one service that does not seem to care about improving coverage in a fast developing area....or anywhere else for that matter.
Old 09-07-2018, 08:49 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,254 Times in 425 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by billethkid View Post
And that goes for more than just Fenney.
AT&T seems to be one service that does not seem to care about improving coverage in a fast developing area....or anywhere else for that matter.
I left AT&T months ago and switched to Verizon and it's a big improvement in coverage.
Old 09-07-2018, 06:25 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,094 Times in 1,336 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by New Englander View Post
I left AT&T months ago and switched to Verizon and it's a big improvement in coverage.
That's exactly what I did after 20+ years with AT&T and all it's previous names up north. We had ZERO (literally) coverage inside our home when we moved in here in Amelia and just about nothing for a couple blocks. There were a lot of good areas just not near us. We have 2 new iPhone 8's so it wasn't our devices. Switched to Verizon's new Senior (55+) plan which is $85 for TWO lines with UNLIMITED DATA and it's full signal even sitting on the loo.

Thing is, we really can't fully blame the carriers since The Villages does not allow cell towers on their property and existing carriers just got in the right place around the outskirts.

The big WVLG tower just north of LSL would be a great place for cell service but they won't allow it.
Old 09-07-2018, 07:54 PM

T-Mobile's signal in the Brownwood area has dramatically improved recently.
Old 09-17-2018, 06:51 AM

AT&T has vcellular equipment on the wvlg tower the villages makes some good money from it
Old 09-17-2018, 08:39 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,661 Times in 727 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdFNJ View Post
That's exactly what I did after 20+ years with AT&T and all it's previous names up north. We had ZERO (literally) coverage inside our home when we moved in here in Amelia and just about nothing for a couple blocks. There were a lot of good areas just not near us. We have 2 new iPhone 8's so it wasn't our devices. Switched to Verizon's new Senior (55+) plan which is $85 for TWO lines with UNLIMITED DATA and it's full signal even sitting on the loo.

Thing is, we really can't fully blame the carriers since The Villages does not allow cell towers on their property and existing carriers just got in the right place around the outskirts.

The big WVLG tower just north of LSL would be a great place for cell service but they won't allow it.
Are you sure it's not East or Southeast of LSL?
Old 09-17-2018, 02:33 PM
Veteran member

Quote:

Sorry that is not supported by facts.... One of the latest cell tower under construction is near Bonita Blvd and Buena Vista Blvd. It is my understanding it will be shared by the 4 major servicers, as are most of the newer towers. This info was provided to me by an AT&T rep.

Cell phone tower signal good for 5 miles on average.

AT&T sure needs a stronger signal south of LSL.

Don

Western PA, Marietta GA, finally TV....
Old 09-17-2018, 03:13 PM
Sage

Quote:
<snip> Thing is, we really can't fully blame the carriers since The Villages does not allow cell towers on their property <snip>
Not true. Sprint has cell equipment installed on The Villages water tower next to Turtle Mound golf course. A couple years a go I chatted with a tech who was there to upgrade the equipment.
Old 09-17-2018, 03:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthOfTheBorder View Post
Sorry that is not supported by facts.... One of the latest cell tower under construction is near Bonita Blvd and Buena Vista Blvd. It is my understanding it will be shared by the 4 major servicers, as are most of the newer towers. This info was provided to me by an AT&T rep.

Cell phone tower signal good for 5 miles on average.

AT&T sure needs a stronger signal south of LSL.

Don
I was told a couple of months ago that such a shared tower was already in place that would support service in the Fenney area - for multiple carriers, and that it just hadn't been given the green light to be activated. There's no doubt the Verizon service down here is greatly improved, so I assume it's related to that tower. But I'm surprised it isn't doing anything for customers of other providers. I know Verizon and AT&T, at least at one time, used different types of networks (CDMA and GSM), but I'm not sure there is anything about that that would prevent them from being serviced by the same tower.
Closed Thread

Tags
service, area, improved, fenney, time

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.