Census Bureau lady would not leave

Closed Thread
Old 11-02-2019, 01:53 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Villageswimmer View Post
So, she stayed even knowing you called the Sheriff?What did the deputy do/say when he got there?
Yup ! how is that for a set Of B*lls
Old 11-02-2019, 01:59 PM
Default Census

Having been a supervisor for the Census Bureau I might shed a bit of light on the post- 1) This was not the "Census" otherwise know as the decennial census which is next year and will primarily be done by mail- 2) This person was doing a survey by the Census Bureau under contract by another government agency, maybe Health, Justice, HUD or another- 3)The person is authorized to attempt to contact the randomly selected household to gather information and be persuasive but not belligerent and if refused to leave the premises- 4) The surveys are designed to collect information to be used by the sponsor department to determine the effectiveness of federal programs and where additional emphasis may be needed.

The most used of these surveys is the American Community Survey which has statistical data used by local and state governments and corporate planners to determine available and needed resources in a given area, usually a Metropolitan Statistical Area as mentioned in posts regarding the Sumter tax increase.

If you are approached by one of these enumerators and have any questions ask them for their supervisor's name and phone #.
That is what the police would have/should have done with this
person. Have experienced this several times in the past
Old 11-02-2019, 02:14 PM
Sage
Thanked 13,715 Times in 5,244 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutchman View Post
Having been a supervisor for the Census Bureau I might shed a bit of light on the post- 1) This was not the "Census" otherwise know as the decennial census which is next year and will primarily be done by mail- 2) This person was doing a survey by the Census Bureau under contract by another government agency, maybe Health, Justice, HUD or another- 3)The person is authorized to attempt to contact the randomly selected household to gather information and be persuasive but not belligerent and if refused to leave the premises- 4) The surveys are designed to collect information to be used by the sponsor department to determine the effectiveness of federal programs and where additional emphasis may be needed.

The most used of these surveys is the American Community Survey which has statistical data used by local and state governments and corporate planners to determine available and needed resources in a given area, usually a Metropolitan Statistical Area as mentioned in posts regarding the Sumter tax increase.

If you are approached by one of these enumerators and have any questions ask them for their supervisor's name and phone #.
person. Have experienced this several times in the past
That is not what the Census Bureau web site says. They claim that they are conducting a 2019 census "test" in advance of the 2020 census to determine the viability of the proposed question about citizenship. They are not under contract with another agency. It sounds to me that these are census employees with the same legal representative and power as the official 2020 census employees will have.
Old 11-02-2019, 02:47 PM

I'm not sure it matters why they were there. What were the questions that were so offensive that one would want to refuse to answer, assuming this was an authorized census worker?
Old 11-02-2019, 02:49 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredguy123 View Post
That is not what the Census Bureau web site says. They claim that they are conducting a 2019 census "test" in advance of the 2020 census to determine the viability of the proposed question about citizenship. They are not under contract with another agency. It sounds to me that these are census employees with the same legal representative and power as the official 2020 census employees will have.

person. Have experienced this several times in the past.

As to address both of your folks comments, i can not tell you who it is exactly in a government institution this Lady worked for.
Regardless of who they work for F.S 810.09 apply s especially when they are told to leave. Unfortunately this lady thought she had some authority.
Unfortunately even a Police office coming onto you property needs to be answering a complaint, serving a warranty or to arrest you for a crime. Or be serving a Order by a judge to question you.
Most people do not understand there rights and even the Deputy had to call his supervisor and the supervisor call his watch commander LT. to know what to do. AT the End F.S.810.09 applies.
Now if this went to court i could bet that there would of been a federal and State ****ing contest; and what to do with this case, it would probably be thrown out but the Census Bureau would be warned to not violate privacy policy's.
Old 11-02-2019, 02:54 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoPacers View Post
I'm not sure it matters why they were there. What were the questions that were so offensive that one would want to refuse to answer, assuming this was an authorized census worker?
I was asked who are you. do you live here in a snod attitude without so much as addressing who she was and from where! until i asked her to leave. Not acceptable.
Old 11-02-2019, 03:12 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,368 Times in 2,396 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by villagetinker View Post
OK, this confused me, here is what I found:

Census takers are going out in advance of the actual mailing to verify addresses, etc. see: Census Takers in Your Neighborhood

According to the interactive map referenced on the above website the villages does NOT appear to be a location where there will be address confirmations, see: ArcGIS Web Application

The Local regional census office for Florida is the:
The Atlanta office serves:
Alabama
Florida
Georgia
Louisiana
Mississippi
North Carolina
South Carolina

To contact this office, call 470-889-6800.

Hope this helps.
We had a person doing the survey work here in our village neighborhood. It was one of those hot days back in the summer. I approached her asking why she was walking around on such a nice day. She was polite and friendly and explained what she was doing....and showed me her ID info without being asked.
I guess it’s all in how you treat people...
Old 11-02-2019, 03:17 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bogie Shooter View Post
We had a person doing the survey work here in our village neighborhood. It was one of those hot days back in the summer. I approached her asking why she was walking around on such a nice day. She was polite and friendly and explained what she was doing....and showed me her ID info without being asked.
Yes i would agree and that lady didn't handle it correctly.
a couple month ago someone was driving around in a vehicle stopping at each house.
I also asked her what she was doing and she was very polite and answered my question. Driving around and stopping in-front of your neighbors house sometimes looks very suspicious, and her decal on the windows weren't very noticeable.
Thank You for your point of view.
Old 11-02-2019, 03:48 PM
Sage

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chellybean View Post
Yes i would agree and that lady didn't handle it correctly.
a couple month ago someone was driving around in a vehicle stopping at each house.
I also asked her what she was doing and she was very polite and answered my question. Driving around and stopping in-front of your neighbors house sometimes looks very suspicious, and her decal on the windows weren't very noticeable.
Thank You for your point of view.
I guess its all in how you treat people.....
Can go both ways.
Old 11-02-2019, 03:56 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
I guess its all in how you treat people.....
Can go both ways.
I am not sure if you are implying I was not treating her properly?
Old 11-02-2019, 05:54 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,931 Times in 2,454 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueash View Post
They are census takers. They are employees of an agency mandated by the Constitution, that Constitution, that requires a census be done. They are not state employees and state law does not apply. They do not have to have permission to enter your property as they are acting in accordance with a Constitutional requirement. They may not enter your home without permission They can ignore no trespassing signs. You may ask them to leave, you may refuse to cooperate, you may be as nasty as you like and complain on TOTV.

But they are not trespassing.
The path to you’re front door is public property. Anywhere else is trespassing. You don’t have the right to decline the service.
Old 11-02-2019, 06:10 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chellybean View Post
I am not sure if you are implying I was not treating her properly?
Reread your posts......your anger is still evident.
Old 11-02-2019, 06:16 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,094 Times in 1,336 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topspinmo View Post
The path to you’re front door is public property. Anywhere else is trespassing. You don’t have the right to decline the service.
That is interesting. What if there was a fence with a locked gate around your property as there is in a lot of rural and urban areas? Can they jump the fence to walk up your "public" sidewalk? Is it no longer public if it is gated? Is that a legal decision somewhere? That can make for interesting circumstances.

Actually here is some interesting legal decisions/opinions as it pertains to police:
Can the Police Go to the Front Door of a Home Marked With "No Trespassing" Signs? - The Volokh Conspiracy
Old 11-02-2019, 06:18 PM

The opening statement from a census enumerator is[/B]"Hello, I am xxxxx from the U S Census Bureau, here is my id. We are conducting the xxx survey and your address, not you individually, was selected to be part of this survey. Do you have a few minutes to answer some questions?[/B]" If the person did not state that in some close form then they were not doing their job properly and a call to the supervisor would be in order. Enumerators are graded on- following procedures, obtaining results and the accuracy of the data recorded. Supervisors routinely call survey respondents on a random basis to verify that the person is doing the job they were assigned.
I can't speak for the Atlanta region but I know in the Phila region an enumerator is shadowed by their supervisor during their initial assignment and on an annual basis and rated on everything from that opening statement to how they ask survey questions, their politeness and sincerity, and how they record the answers.
As for police involvement, I have had several evening calls from police questioning the validity of the enumerator. When I explained what they were doing there never was a problem.

In short, this person was not properly trained or they were having a bad day from other respondents not willing to talk to them. In the end it sounds like "you reap what you sow" for both parties involved.
Old 11-02-2019, 06:53 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topspinmo View Post
OMG the path to the front door is NOT PUBLIC PROPERTY! where in gods name did you get that?
Closed Thread

Tags
property, census, leave, lady, bureau

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.