Century Link Doubled my Bill this morning

Closed Thread
Old 06-01-2018, 07:46 AM
Sage
Default Century Link Doubled my Bill this morning

I have auto pay and this morning my bill doubled from 43 to 86. I only have internet. I chatted and my only option is to contact the retention center.

What should I expect?
Is there a better deal for me going on with another company?

I can survive on internet only but i have added directtv digital for $30----so my total bill was 43+30.

Any advice?

new information

it looks like i can get xnfinity for $35 a month including tv-----i'm about to sign up. is there a hitch? like i can't quit for 20 years

is there a hitch with century link---will they let me quit after I pay my $86 bill?

Last edited by tomwed; 06-01-2018 at 07:53 AM.
Old 06-01-2018, 08:01 AM

Are you sure that your autopay didn't somehow get missed last month?
Too much of a coincidence that your bill exactly doubled.

Besides I don't think even high priced Comcast charges that much for internet only.
Old 06-01-2018, 08:06 AM
Gold member

The $45 for life is what we have, but I don't know how long CL will actually honor it.
Old 06-01-2018, 08:08 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by HiHoSteveO View Post
Are you sure that your autopay didn't somehow get missed last month?
Too much of a coincidence that your bill exactly doubled.

Besides I don't think even high priced Comcast charges that much for internet only.
I didn't post the exact prices. I just got off of centurylink chat line and they said my plan ended orr i didn't sign up for a new year on time for the 43 rate.

I opened up the incognito window and went to xfinity and that was the rate quoted. i haven't read the fine print yet.

i was hoping that someone just went through all this and i could benefit from their recent experience

thank-you
Old 06-01-2018, 08:09 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by leftyf View Post
The $45 for life is what we have, but I don't know how long CL will actually honor it.
look into that---it's no longer available online if i understood the chatline
Old 06-01-2018, 08:11 AM
Veteran member

My bill went up 30+ dollars. Sick of this. My neighbors got an antenna and are very happy with it. Few hundred dollars one time installation fee. I'm going to check it out.
Old 06-01-2018, 08:29 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,751 Times in 1,386 Posts

Seems many folks sign up at introductory rates and when they expire go to standard pricing. Viewing the change as a price increase when in fact it was what was signed up for. We all forget the warning that comes with the signing of the contract, that the price goes up at the end of the deal.

One can always get a better deal by cancelling their current service and going with a new provider. A neighbor of ours cancelled their Dish net work which was around a hundred dollars per month. Had his wife open a new customer order.....got their introductory plan, 160 + locals for $59 per month locked in for two years!!!!!!!

There is obviously a higher priority for these providers to try to attract a new customer than retain the current subscribers.

One just has to take the time to play the game and find the best deal.

A status the providers have created.....makes no sense.
They are all struggling with the current evolution to streaming and fiber optic technologies.

Take the time and shop/compare.
Old 06-01-2018, 08:38 AM
Sage

It looks like I will be cancelling century link today. Did anyone get a hard time on the phone doing this? will ther be a cancillation fee? I just signed up temporarily with xfinity for $35 a month including channels and a couple of freebies---I think it also goes down to $5 with autopay.

[this sounds to good to be true and you know what they say---unfortunately i forgot what they say---i think it's something about xfinity making an ass out of me]
Old 06-01-2018, 08:40 AM
Sage

Just got off the phone with Century link--looks like they will no longer be offering any discounts for PRISM, their video will be with Direct TV--

No my question is there an alternative besides Comcast for video in Tamarind Grove , we have 5 TV's and only the real big one is a smart TV
Old 06-01-2018, 08:45 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chatbrat View Post
Just got off the phone with Century link--looks like they will no longer be offering any discounts for PRISM, their video will be with Direct TV--

No my question is there an alternative besides Comcast for video in Tamarind Grove , we have 5 TV's and only the real big one is a smart TV
open an incognito window if you can and check out xfinity

i think i just signed up for $35/month more or less for tv and internet
Old 06-01-2018, 08:51 AM
Gold member

We do have a TV antenna in the attic that works great, but the wife just won't give up cable. We have CL and had to take Direct TV. It's only on the TV in the living room though.
Old 06-01-2018, 08:58 AM
Gold member

Ask to use the retroactive promotion of "one price for life" that came out a few months ago. What happened to you sounds like a major screw up on their part.
Old 06-01-2018, 09:01 AM
Default I've said this before

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomwed View Post
I have auto pay and this morning my bill doubled from 43 to 86. I only have internet. I chatted and my only option is to contact the retention center.

What should I expect?
Is there a better deal for me going on with another company?

I can survive on internet only but i have added directtv digital for $30----so my total bill was 43+30.

Any advice?

new information

it looks like i can get xnfinity for $35 a month including tv-----i'm about to sign up. is there a hitch? like i can't quit for 20 years

is there a hitch with century link---will they let me quit after I pay my $86 bill?
I wonder why we do not/cannot negotiate as a group and get far better service and prices.

Old school perhaps-we do not do auto-pay by doing so you give up power/control. You are obviously carefully watching your bills so how much extra time would it take to draft a check?

Introductory deals-it is like a drug dealer. They get you hooked and then the gotcha. You can bet they have all kinds of reports as to how many people remember to cancel the free whatever. You who careflly watch your accounts-well they gothcha.

As to account retention. In plainspeak that is their SALES DEPARTMENT.

By the way, we have century link. We investigated the other options. They told us we would have to go for a two year contract. I did NOT SIGN anything. A contract is void if COMCAST not not for-fill their side days after out new,"contract," started our service went out. It is noted in my files. The chance of comecast providing UNINTERRUPTED service for two years-IS ZERO.
Old 06-01-2018, 09:04 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lottoguy View Post
Ask to use the retroactive promotion of "one price for life" that came out a few months ago. What happened to you sounds like a major screw up on their part.
with cl i was/am paying $43/month plus digital direct tv that went from a $15/month promotion to now $30

so my tv and internet bill was 43+30=73

now its going down to $35/month xfinity with a lot more channels--
Old 06-01-2018, 09:57 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,751 Times in 1,386 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomwed View Post
open an incognito window if you can and check out xfinity

i think i just signed up for $35/month more or less for tv and internet
$35 per month for cable AND internet from Comcast does not sound right.
$35 for one or the other would be a good deal!!!
Both for $35.......I would need to do some checking!
Closed Thread

Tags
bill, internet, doubled, morning, survive

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.