CenturyLink Cable company

Closed Thread
Old 03-12-2015, 11:10 AM
Default CenturyLink Cable company

We subscribed to CenturyLink in 2/2014. Signed a 2 year, fixed price, contract for $125/month.
Went on vacation for 10 weeks starting in 5/2014. Took advantage of the vacation policy, which reduced the monthly charge while we were away.
Returned in 7/2014 and started regular service. The July bill arrived with a balance due of $200+. I called CL and got the bill adjusted to $125. August bill arrived with balance due of about $180. Got the bill adjusted to $125. September bill had balance due of $140. Got it adjusted to $125.
This process has continued thru the current month. I was always assured that it is not correct. Yeah, right!

I have settled for $155 as I was told the "2 year plan" is no longer available.

I was finally told yesterday that when a customer returns from vacation, the plan starts over, and all previous discounts are lost. What a devious way to do business.

I may not have taken the "vacation option" and continued to pay the $125/month, if I had know about their policy.

I plan to look at other options. Hope this note helps someone.
Old 03-12-2015, 11:25 AM
Gold member

Why would anyone sign up on a Contract with a cable company??? Century Link is the only cable company that does that. Dump them fast or you will be stuck in an endless loop.
No contracts on Brighthouse or Comcast/Xfinity. Do not get phone service through the cable company. You can get it for free as long as you have high speed internet. Why would you pay $30++ a month for a phone line.
Old 03-12-2015, 12:06 PM

Century Link did the same to us. There was no contract but we were told that the pricing was good for 12 months. Because we were snow birds we were told we basically would have the same pricing for 18 months. NOT. They will tell you anything that will get you to agree to use their services. It is so unethical.
Average minds discuss events.
Small minds discuss people.

Eleanor Roosevelt
Old 03-12-2015, 01:59 PM
Soaring Eagle member

You might want to call back and ask what the current "deals" are. If you are unhappy, ask for a supervisor. This may not yield a better result but it is worth a try. The first people you speak to may not be empowered to make you happy. A supervisor may be able to apply a "good customer" discount. The technical support folks have given me a discount on the spot for what was essentially a miscommunication. Be persistent but polite and ask to have it escalated. I have found CenturyLink to be pretty reasonable but who you talk to does matter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobsheckley View Post
We subscribed to CenturyLink in 2/2014. Signed a 2 year, fixed price, contract for $125/month.
Went on vacation for 10 weeks starting in 5/2014. Took advantage of the vacation policy, which reduced the monthly charge while we were away.
Returned in 7/2014 and started regular service. The July bill arrived with a balance due of $200+. I called CL and got the bill adjusted to $125. August bill arrived with balance due of about $180. Got the bill adjusted to $125. September bill had balance due of $140. Got it adjusted to $125.
This process has continued thru the current month. I was always assured that it is not correct. Yeah, right!

I was finally told yesterday that when a customer returns from vacation, the plan starts over, and all previous discounts are lost. What a devious way to do business.

I may not have taken the "vacation option" and continued to pay the $125/month, if I had know about their policy.

Old 03-12-2015, 10:10 PM

Century Link did the same to us. We signed up for a 2yr price guarantee of $121 per month. The bill was never the same each month and we also had to call to get it adjusted. After about 5 months we were told they would no longer make any adjustments. Then each month the bill would go up and now it is up to $168 per month. I will be calling them next week and if a lower rate cannot be agreed to I will be dropping them soon.
Old 03-14-2015, 09:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobsheckley View Post

Thanks, I am deciding right now.

Northeast Ohio, Northern California, including Santa Cruz, Oakland Hills, East Bay, Stockton and Merced and now The Villages
Old 03-15-2015, 05:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brighthouse Cable Lysander View Post
Hello Fellow Villagers,

If you are looking for an alternative to Century Link or Comcast, Brighthouse is available south of CR 466A. We do not have any contracts and most of our bundle campaigns with cable & internet do have a 2 year price assurance. Also we have seasonal plans for customers where you can put your services on hold from 2 - 9 months. So restrictions apply. For more information feel free to call or email me below.
Is Brighthouse ever going to come up above CR466?
Old 03-15-2015, 06:33 AM
Soaring Eagle member

I can only go by my experience. They gave me a 1-year guarantee on internet only and billed me the correct amount every month. I called them a couple of months ago to see "what was new" and they offered a new 1-year guarantee for higher internet bandwidth for a lower price and they have been billing me the correct amount. I currently pay $45/month for 40Mbits/sec download and 20 Mbits/sec upload including the router lease fee and all taxes/fees. I work from home and it makes sense for me to lease the router. I had a few issues with the router freezing but they provided a different router and the system has been rock solid since.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNLAKEPANDA View Post
Why would anyone sign up on a Contract with a cable company??? Century Link is the only cable company that does that. Dump them fast or you will be stuck in an endless loop.
No contracts on Brighthouse or Comcast/Xfinity. Do not get phone service through the cable company. You can get it for free as long as you have high speed internet. Why would you pay $30++ a month for a phone line.
Old 03-15-2015, 06:58 AM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuccillo View Post
I can only go by my experience. They gave me a 1-year guarantee on internet only and billed me the correct amount every month. I called them a couple of months ago to see "what was new" and they offered a new 1-year guarantee for higher internet bandwidth for a lower price and they have been billing me the correct amount. I currently pay $45/month for 40Mbits/sec download and 20 Mbits/sec upload including the router lease fee and all taxes/fees. I work from home and it makes sense for me to lease the router. I had a few issues with the router freezing but they provided a different router and the system has been rock solid since.
Interesting. They keep sending me notices that I am a "techie" and should upgrade. I am at 10mb/s now. It's OK, I'd like 20 but do not want to pay any more. I may just call them to see if there's a deal at the higher level. Thanks for the tip.
Old 03-15-2015, 03:34 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Depending on where you are located you may be able to get better internet performance. I am an an area with fiber to the house. The move to higher bandwidth was driven by bad reception on my Voice-over-IP phone and the suggestion that better upload performance would help. I went from 700Kbit/sec to 20 Mbits/sec upload and thing did get better but that could be a coincidence. The price drop was partially due to auto bill pay (automatic credit card) but the price did drop when going from 10 MBit/sec to 40 MBit/sec download.

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzy View Post
Interesting. They keep sending me notices that I am a "techie" and should upgrade. I am at 10mb/s now. It's OK, I'd like 20 but do not want to pay any more. I may just call them to see if there's a deal at the higher level. Thanks for the tip.
Old 03-15-2015, 03:49 PM
Sage

These cable companies are just like Sirius/XM radio. Every year it comes time to renew my contract to keep it running in my car and motorcycle I have to call and tell them I want to cancel. They ask why and I say "too expensive". They then offer it for 1/2 price and I'll say "no, still too expensive". They will then offer it at 70% off and I take it.
Old 03-15-2015, 04:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brighthouse Cable Lysander View Post
Hello Fellow Villagers,

If you are looking for an alternative to Century Link or Comcast, Brighthouse is available south of CR 466A. We do not have any contracts and most of our bundle campaigns with cable & internet do have a 2 year price assurance. Also we have seasonal plans for customers where you can put your services on hold from 2 - 9 months. So restrictions apply. For more information feel free to call or email me below.
When are you going to expand North of CR 466a?. I have Brighthouse at my home in DeLand and would like to have it in my Village house. I am South of SR 42 and North of 466.
Old 03-15-2015, 04:21 PM
Platinum member

Please come to Lynnhaven, Brighthouse!
Old 03-15-2015, 05:39 PM

When we moved here 4 years ago, Comcast was the only option we had (North of 466). The customer service got SO bad at Comcast, we jumped at Century Link as soon as it became available. We've had some ups and downs on service and billing, but still so much better than Comcast could ever hope to be. Century Link has worked with us and let us "renew" our original pricing so we believe it is also much less than Comcast. Had some recent service issues and they came yesterday (a Saturday) and rewired the house and cabling to the outside box. Also replaced DVR and a set top box. We felt the technician went above and beyond to ensure we were satisfied with the service. Very happy Century Link customers now for almost 3 years.
Old 03-15-2015, 06:31 PM
Gold member

Have had Centurylink for more than 2 years. There was never a signed contract. Some discounts were for 6 months and I have to wonder when some of the posters initially "signed their 2 year contract" did they make it clear that they were seasonal residents and would be looking to suspend service during the 2 year period? I have found Centurylink reps a lot easier to reach and speak with then my last few years with Comcast. there have been some adjustments in prices for some of their premium packages, but I am still paying $50-60 a month less for Prism bundle than what Comcast was charging me for the same service. I would never go back to Comcast even with their frequent direct mail offers of great rates and gift cards. Don't have any idea if Brighthouse has any plans to offer service north of CR 466.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.