CenturyLink Prism TV users

Closed Thread
Old 04-10-2018, 10:11 AM
Default CenturyLink Prism TV users

I went to the SelectTVChoice store yesterday with a friend to help him chose new TV and internet suppliers. The company sells for DirectTV, Dish, CenturyLink, Comcast and others. During our discussion he told us that CL has stopped providing Prism TV as of 2/28/18. So I came home and did some online research and sure enough it appears to be true. Nowhere on the CL web site can you buy Prism, it is now only DirectTV. I also found an article comparing Prism and DirectTV and added to the top of the article was a note saying that the article was out of date since CL no longer provides the Prism service. Another article from a couple of years ago stated that CL was considering the change because of the high infrastructure cost of Prism and that they were considering the OTT model which supplies a TV signal over the internet. Supposedly, CL will send a letter to all of its current Prism customers to inform them of this change, but I haven't seen such a letter yet. What I expect is that CL will give us a cutoff date to convert to DirectTV when support for Prism ceases. It would be foolish of CL to tell its customers that they now have to put a satellite on their roof, so I expect DirectTV will come thru the phone line just like Prism did. So, you might want to think about what you want to do before you are faced with a deadline.
Old 04-10-2018, 08:32 PM
Gold member

Direct TV will not be coming through the phone line.
Old 04-11-2018, 06:24 AM
Default Sorry about Prism TV demise

I have been quite satisfied with Prism TV for several years, although I was not pleased after being told by Centurylink that Prism TV was not available without also subscribing to Centurylink’s relatively slow Internet service. Also, although I should have known better, Centurylink maintains that in order to receive one-year discounts I agreed to maintain service for two years, despite never having been informed of this at the time the discounts began. And if Prism TV ends I’m sure that DirecTV will require a two-year commitment. Could be time to check out cord cutting options once again.
Old 04-11-2018, 08:00 AM

They also jacked up the price for Prism in the meantime. I quit CL and went to Dish.
Old 04-11-2018, 08:19 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 2,950 Times in 829 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golferosh View Post
I have been quite satisfied with Prism TV for several years, although I was not pleased after being told by Centurylink that Prism TV was not available without also subscribing to Centurylink’s relatively slow Internet service. Also, although I should have known better, Centurylink maintains that in order to receive one-year discounts I agreed to maintain service for two years, despite never having been informed of this at the time the discounts began. And if Prism TV ends I’m sure that DirecTV will require a two-year commitment. Could be time to check out cord cutting options once again.
You must not be in an area where Century Link has fiber optic service where you can get up to 1000 MBS speed if you want. I have 40 which is all I need.
Closed Thread

Tags
prism, directtv, article, letter, centurylink

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.